Aglegat

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

storm39
Supporter

Aglegat

Post by storm39 »

Hi

Does anyone know what an "Aglegat" is. It's a german word and may be a combination of letters from two or three words. It is some sort of mechanical engine being used by in the Waffenmeisterei.

thanks[quote][ /quote]
Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

Re: Aglegat

Post by Hiltraut Tieden »

Is it possible that the word is "Aggregat"?
Here would be the definition for it:
(source: Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate

Hiltraut
storm39
Supporter

Post by storm39 »

Hi Hiltraut

Thanks for the reply I did think of this but I didnt think that he would make such a mistake in his spelling if he meant Aggregat. Although I'm sure it something in the same mode. But in the piece that he writes about it,he mentions it 6 times and all are spelt Aglegat. He says that he has got hold of a mercedes engine did some work to it to reduce the running speed and then calls it his new "Aglegat" if that means anything.

Thanks anyway
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

Can you give us a complete sentence, in which the author used the term?
I'm sure that Frau Tieden is on the right way, there is no word "Aglegat" in german language, no slang or technical term.
It really seems that the writer ment "Aggregat", which means the same than "engine".
Today most germans (and most dictionaries) would translate engine with "Motor", Aggregat is a more old-school term.
storm39
Supporter

Post by storm39 »

hi Fridgeman,

here are a five different sentences. The source is a diary so the sentences are naturally short and all are from different entry days.

Heute habe ich mein Aglegat wieder zum laufen gebracht. Strom bekomme ich genug nur der Motor laüft zu schnell heiß.
Den alten Motor vom Aglegat wieder zusammen gebaut.
Heute habe ich mein Aglegat wieder auseinandergerissen, will eine Übersetzung einbauen.
Den Opel Motor von unserem Aglegat müssen wir an die 9.Batterie abgeben.
Ich baue jetze ein neues Aglegat mit einem Mercedes Motor.
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

Ok, now it becomes clear. The writer describes a machine, which produces energy trough a combustion engine.
The wehrmacht had lots of different machines for this purpose, the complete term for it was "Stromaggregat" (energy producing engine) or "Notstromaggregat (energy producing engine in case of emergency).
The writer definitively ment Aggregat, maybe he didn't know the right spelling or you red it wrong.
storm39
Supporter

Post by storm39 »

Thanks fridgeman. That makes a lot of sense alright. The spelling is correct as how he wrote it on all occasion maybe its a particuar regional spelling. He came from Lindenberg im Allgau near the Austrian border. he would have needed some sort of machine as you describe as his work in the armoury would have presumably needed a lathe and grinder and other items which I cant think off at the moment.

so thanks again that was a great help.