Which US troops at Germersheim March '45?

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Alex Dekker
Associate

Which US troops at Germersheim March '45?

Post by Alex Dekker »

Recently I found out my grandfather was captured at the town of Germersheim March 26th 1945. I bought the KTB of the 17. SS Panzergrenadier Division 'Götz von Berlichingen' (edited by Max Wind) and found documents about the battle for Germersheim. The division of my grandfather (the 347. Infanterie Division) was mentioned too. The KTB contains a few documents about the 347. I.D. Unfortunately, nothing is mentioned about the US troops which did conquer Germersheim. Which division (or even divisions) did capture the blown up bridge at Germersheim? Which American divisions were in action in this region 20 - 30 March '45? I adressed Germersheim, but they didn't answer at all.

Any help or tip is more than welcome!
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
John W. Howard

Re: Which US troops at Germersheim March '45?

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Lexie:
The 100ID and the 71ID were in the area of Germersheim as part of the US XXI Corps, US 7th Army. They arrived in that area on 22 March 1945. Do you have a more specific date for the fighting in Germersheim?? I hope this helps. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Thanks a lot, one small step in the right direction! I thought it was the 70th Division (Trailblazers), so it's not.

Germersheim was (according to the KTB of GvB)evacuated in the night of March 24 - 25. The railwaybridge was blown up afterwarts. My guess is, my grandfather was on the Westbank on the Rhein. According to his POW-card, he was part of the 347. Artillery (instead of the Pionier Abteilung). My grandfather became POW on March 26th. My main question is, which division did capture him? But since there are two left (about a year ago all I knew was '7th Army' :? )

By the way, according to the KTB GvB, the US 10th Armoured Division was also near the Rhine.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Lexi:
I am still looking for more information for you. In the mean time here is a link to the US 100th ID website; there may be some folks listed who may have official records that would be of help to you. They used to have a forum, but I do not think it is working. http://www.100thww2.org/
John W. Howard
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Lexi:
The following is from the records of the 749th Tank Battalion: "24 March: 5th Infantry Regiment (of the US 71ID) attached to "A" Coy 749th Tank Battalion to move at once to Weingarten and attack without delay along the axis Weingarten-Westheim-Germersheim. Attack launched at 240500 in conjunction with CCR of US 12AD from direction of Speyer. At 241030 reports received that both bridges at Germersheim were blown. Attack was halted until further orders. Receipt of info that 12AD had secured the town."
John W. Howard
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Thanks again John! I dropped a mail at someone who is webmaster of the webpage of the 71st ID. I'll drop another one at 100th.

But what was the 12AD?
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Lexi:
The 12th AD is the 12th Armored Division. CCR refers to Combat Command "R" or "Reserve". I have not looked for 12 AD sites, but will try to do so. Sorry for not clarifying for you!! Best wishes.
John W. Howard
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Again Lexi:
Here is a link to the 12 AD official site:http://www.12tharmoreddivision.com/ There is a link to the veteran's association of the division, which should put you in contact with folks who may have records and other things of interest. Happy hunting :wink: and best wishes.
John W. Howard
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

The 12th has got a forum too, but no one's seems to post things. So I tried to mail them instead. Here's what I got:

"From our research of accounts of the Rhine Offensive, I can tell you that Germersheim and the surrounding area were occupied by 'Combat Command R' of the 12th Armored Division. Within a US Army Division of World War II, Combat Commands were task forces comprised of certain elements of the Division for a limited time to achieve a specific objective. They were effectively the Army's way of sending only the portions of the Division necessary to perform the required task.

'Combat Command R' was comprised mainly of the 17th Armored Infantry Battalion and the 23rd Tank Battalion. Members of other Battalions were most probably also utilized in supporting roles (such as medics, ordnancemen and the like).

From the 23rd through the 25th of March 1945, Combat Command R drove South to to ocupy the town of Germersheim and link up with the US Seventh Army which was moving North to meet them."

Another step forward, it was Combat Command R which took Germersheim in March 1945.

And the search continues! :D
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Lexie:
Good info!! Now you know the composition of CCR/12AD. Good for you :D Best wishes.
John W. Howard