Me 163 night fighters: inquiry

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
menright

Me 163 night fighters: inquiry

Post by menright »

Does anyone have information that would confirm the operational use of the Me 163 in a night fighter role? I had always assumed this not to be the case. However, interviews with two Bomber Command aircrew claiming to have seen them at the end of 1944 suggest otherwise. One description in particular, including the response to his report at debriefing after the sighting, is very accurate.
Thankyou,

Michael
jerijerod
Supporter

Re: Me 163 night fighters: inquiry

Post by jerijerod »

i would have thought they were dangerous enough to fly in the day time let alone at night!!!
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
redcoat
Contributor

Post by redcoat »

men right wrote:Does anyone have information that would confirm the operational use of the Me 163 in a night fighter role? I had always assumed this not to be the case. However, interviews with two Bomber Command aircrew claiming to have seen them at the end of 1944 suggest otherwise. One description in particular, including the response to his report at debriefing after the sighting, is very accurate.
Thank You,

Michael
Misidentification of aircraft type is not usual from aircrews under attack so I wouldn't read too much into it.

The idea that anyone would even think of using the Me 163 at night is mind boggling.

Can you imagine trying to land the thing at night on its skid with its explosive fuels slopping around behind you. :shock: %E
if in doubt, PANIC !!!!
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

The other thing is would there be enough room for any radar equipment within the aircraft?

I will try and look it up over the weekend in Pritchards "Messerschmitt."

Cheers
Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

the report is of mistaken ID, there were NO Me 163 NF's, even the reports of Me 262's flying at night in the fall of 44 are incorrect as the first op run was in December of 44 by only 1 262.

E ~