JU-88 as a Nightfighter

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: JU-88 as a Nightfighter

Post by phylo_roadking »

From what little I have, it looks like IV Gruppe of NJG 6 operated G-7s out of Schwabisch Hall in 1945.

William Green again has the type divided into three unofficial subgroups, A, B. and C - the differences again being the radar installation. However, one of his comments is obscure...
...and the -7c having FuG 240 Berlin N-1a. Only ten of the last mentioned subtype were completed...
...and in context it's not clear if he's referring to the G-7c's...or the G-7 overall :(

On the issue of the G-6 variants, I've looked back at what he says about the G-6 engine installtion...and THIS is a enlightening;
"This variant (G-1), like the G-4 which followed it on the assembly line, was powered by BMW 810D engines of 1700 hp, the latter model only differeing in that it standardised on avionics introduced progressively by the G-1. Some G-4s were fitted with a schrage Musik installation of two upward-firing 20mm cannon, a similar installation being provided in the Ju 88G-6a manufactured in parallel and differing only in having BMW 801G engines."
So the Ju 88G-6 had BMW 810Gs installed while it was being built in parallel with the G-4 - and this is the mark distinguishing feature? The syntax of this would indicate that when the G-6 was the sole G-model in production after G-4 construction finished...the Jumo 213 was fitted.

This is strange - because fitting the 213E means the G-6 production line was in competition for engines with the Ju 188, Ju 388, the Fw 190D Dora and the Ta 152H. The 810G - which was a version of the E with different prop gearing for bomber use - must have been unsuitable.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

number 1, W. Green is wrong. the Ju 88G-6 had Jumos' the G-1 had BMW's fitted. Again I repeat there were no a, b, or c sub-variants. this is coming from after capture and RAF and RCAF testing trials and it appears this is when these designations were given to make it easier for ground personell of the Allies to try and understand or put a finger on how to simply the radar differences

NJG 6 had NO G-7's and this is reported in their own Diary. Also through an interview I did with RK winner Karl Johannssen some years ago flying with Tino Becker at the helm, they flew 2 different Ju 88G-6's as in my notes, possibly a third 88G-6.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Again I repeat there were no a, b, or c sub-variants. this is coming from after capture and RAF and RCAF testing trials and it appears this is when these designations were given to make it easier for ground personell of the Allies to try and understand or put a finger on how to simply the radar differences
Yep, that's why I used the term "unofficial" - I should have said "unofficial Allied designation"
the Ju 88G-6 had Jumos' the G-1 had BMW's fitted
What about the G-4s then? And why the persisent rumour on 810Gs installed in the first G-6s?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

Phylo there were some 3 variations of the BMW 801 used on the G-1 NF.. The G-6 never had the BMW fitted even at the beginning to increase power they had the Jumo 213A liquid cooled engine and the VS-111 prop. Persistent rumor ? possibly by a few authors.

As to the Ju 88G-4 I never heard of the craft..........

E ~
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

A lot of authors seem to regard the G-1s once fitted with schrage Musik as a new model, the G-4 - which also saw the standardisation of the avionics changes made bit by bit to the G-1...it's hard not to trip over the G-4 LOL real or not.
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

well again persistent rumor as there was never a G-4. I've talked with enough vets flying the crates and German reseachers over many years. It is simple really to thier findings: G-1 with BMW's, G-6 with Jumo's, nothing inbetween as to variants. the Schragwaffen actually came out with the C's and R's first
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Hi Erich,

Could you tell me the ISBN of your Ju 88G-6 book please.

Best Regards
Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

hey Andy

no the Ju 88G-6 title is not published yet, am thinking about including some colour in the book - some photos of digs over the years possibly and profiles as well, plus if not to make it too massive, camo patterns done up in colour, and there will be many.

thanks for your interest ......... :up:

E ~
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

am not sure if this has really been covered or if it intends to be.........

the He 219A version was two man with a possibility of a locked down position for a third member as a prototype in experimental form. limited source for any updated radar sets, Naxos, Flensburg. Limitations of the backseat driver sitting with eyes closed in on the scopes it is not s wonder that he too had to look for prowling Mossies, hopeful if the craft was installed with rear facing radar.

For the Ju 88G-6 crew of 3 later 4 for the extra electrical technology, the craft had the room though looking even today at the quarters they seem awfully cramped. Two Bördfunkers applied, one to apply the controls for the FuG 220d or FuG 218 and the other Funker to operate the FuG 350Z Naxos, one of the individuals in the back seat also operated the rear facing MG 131 13mm. Rear warning radar was standard fit for the FuG 220d and FuG 218 Neptun
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Erich wrote:hey Andy

no the Ju 88G-6 title is not published yet, am thinking about including some colour in the book - some photos of digs over the years possibly and profiles as well, plus if not to make it too massive, camo patterns done up in colour, and there will be many.

thanks for your interest ......... :up:

E ~
That would explain why I've not been able to track it down!

Personally I'm more interested in operational/technical aspects of the type (particularly avionics), together with any incidental biographical details on crew etc. Though photos and profiles are always of interest.

I look forward to its publication.

Cheers

Andy
Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

sorry to reopen this... But I have the G1 with BMW 801 d engines and the subsequent G series with Jumo 213a engines. (the 7 with a 213E)

The G4 was an improved G-3 with additional GM 1 system according to Griehl [i]Junkers 88[/i]
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"