84. US - Infanterie - Division

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Joachim Schulz

84. US - Infanterie - Division

Post by Joachim Schulz »

Hello,
who can help ?
Who can give me Informations about the 333 th. Infanterie - Regiment, 84. US - Infanterie - Division.
Period: April 12 - 15. 1945 Area: Wesendorf - Knesebeck - Wittingen, that`s in the Gifhorn County, Northern Germany,
Lüneburger Heide. I`m searching urgent Informations about the Fights, Commanders and all other Informations you have.
Pardon for my English.

Best Regards
Joachim
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: 84. US - Infanterie - Division

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

I have to jump in, being in need for the pages of the unit history of 84.ID for April 1945. Who may help?

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
ghp95134
Supporter

Post by ghp95134 »

Probably not what you are looking for, but here is the US Army page for the 84th ID:
http://www.history.army.mil/documents/e ... ID-ETO.htm

It's the OOB .... but not a daily chronicle of its activities.

Regards,
--Guy Power
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Gents:
I did a very quick Google search on the US 84ID; there were multiple possibilities, unfortunately none appeared to be a "main" site. There was one with a forum, which may be an avenue to finding what you are looking for. Let me do more searching to see if I am able to lead you to a promising site. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Gents:
I looked through several of the sites which came up when I Googled the US 84ID. I found really nothing of much use to either of you. The forum site was more of a "say hello" site than a research site. There may be a division history for sale through Turner Publishing in Kentucky; they specialize in unit histories and are to be thanked for keeping copies of unit histories available to the public. I found mention of the following book, which may be available at a library: The 84th ID in the Battle of Germany November 1944-May 1945 by Theodore Draper. Other than these sources, it looks like ordering official records from NARA is your only recourse. The NARA will have After-Action-Reports for the 333IR, as well as intelligence and operations records for the unit. The 84th was not in combat quite as long as other US divisions, so there should not be an over-abundance of records to purchase. Other members here have much more experience with the NARA than I, so I defer to them to let you know the best way to contact NARA and get exactly what you are looking for. I am very sorry I could not be of more help to either of you; it is too bad this division does not have a dedicated web-site to give you more information. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

Joachim,
Records of the 84th US Infantry Division are available at the National Archives in College Park, MD. Here are the contact details:

National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001

Modern Military Records staff
[email protected]
Tel:301-837-3510
Fax:301-837-1752

Note such records (After Action Reports; G2 Reports; etc.) are part of Record Group 407.3. You can find a description here: http://www.archives.gov/research/guide- ... html#407.3.

I suggest that you send an e-mail to the Modern Military Records staff and let them know what you are looking for. They will then check the available records and provide a quote for copies. Note that the process can take a few weeks so be patient.

Should you have any further questions, please let me know.

Sincerely

Christian
Joachim Schulz

Post by Joachim Schulz »

Hello all,
Thank you so much for your Informations about 84. US ID.
But now I`ve an other Problem. My English is miserabel. The Daughter from my Sister can very good English. I hope, she can help me.
Thank you and best Regards
Joachim