HUGE WANT LIST !!

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sniper1shot

HUGE WANT LIST !!

Post by sniper1shot »

UPDATED! 12 Aug 08

OK people. I am in search of some hard to find titles and hope someone will be able to help me out. All I have is a Title and author. I know not much on these titles so if someone knows if the book is worth getting then plse let me know. IF the book sucks, then plse let me know that too. I have heard good &bad reviews on some titles.

Hurricanes over Murmansk-John Golly
I survived- Godfrey Lias
Messerschmitt BF 110: Bombsights over England- John Vasco

Fortress Cholm- Oskars Perro

Hitler's Spanish Legion:The Blue Division in Russia- Gerald Kleinfield & Lewis Tambs
War Diary of Helmut Lipfert- Werner Girbig
Hurricane over the Jungle- Terrance Kelly
Footsteps of the Hunter- Adolf Dickfeld

Adventures in my Youth- Armin Scheiderbauer
Campaign in Russia- Leon Degrelle
The Last Knight of Flanders- Allen Brandt

The Long Walk- Slavomir Rawicz
Ostfront- Alex Buchner
Last Laurels- George Gunter
A German Odyssey- Helmut Horner
Devil on my Shoulder- Hans Becker
The Outmost Frontier- Helmut Pabst
Bounded Duty- Alexander Stahlberg
Gods of War; Memoir of German soldier- Hans W. Woltersdorf
White Coats under fire- Roy Mark-Alan
Will we see Tomorrow- Max Kuhnert

So, we bombed Moscow- Heinz Gruber
I do know some of the titles but not too much on them.
Any and all help will be appreciated....even a review on whether to buy the book or not will help.
Thanks!!
Oh, my list is actually longer but I figure you wouldn't want to read it all, LOL
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Several of thes ebooks are available (in print): Bombsights over England, Ostfront, Last Knight of Flanders, Helmut Lipfert are all by Schiffer. Tigers in the Mud has just been reprinted by Stackpole Books in softback ($20).

Hurricanes over Murmansk is by John Golley, not Golly. By the way, I very highly recommend Brian Cull´s "Buffaloes over Singapore" and "Hurricanes over Singapore". Both books feature plenty of pilot accounts.
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Hi

like Uncle Joe says several are easily available. Frontsoldaten can be had via amazon.co.uk (in English translation) and , I guess, from amazon in the States which might be easier (and cheaper) for you.

If you think (or know) they're out ofprint, you could try Lost Books, an outfit in the UK who are quite helpful. I think their URL is lostbooks.com (if not try co.uk).
Regards

Howard
book lover
Supporter

Post by book lover »

sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Uncle Joe & Howard;
Thanks for the sites/Publishers. I was not aware some of the titles were still in print and thanks for the recommendation for the other 2 books. I have heard of Hurricanes over Singapore but NOT buffaloes over Singapore. Will have to search those two out.....after I fill this list eh.
Thanks again
Ross Hackett

Re: HUGE WANT LIST !!

Post by Ross Hackett »

try abebooks they are excellent
Ross Hackett
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Otto Carius is the name, not Carns. Might make it easier for you to find! :wink:

Tigers in the Mud is an excellent book. One of the best Panzer accounts out there and has a great bit about some Narva battles! :D

"The Last Knight of Flanders" is a great read, but a lot of information is skewed if I remember correctly. It's not too hard to find, I don't believe.

Best regards and good luck,
Mansal
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Hi Snipershot

I have Pabst, Degrelle, Stahlberg, Last Laurels and Horner. I can recommend all, the last two with caveats. Last Laurels is very good and excellently produced... but the text is a single column set over an A4-sized paper, making it very tiring to read. Horner's book is as much a diary of his captivity as of his service. I used the latter sections in my Normandy book.

Fritz's Frontsoldaten is one of my favourite books. There's a paperback version out these days. It does have its detractors (see the Amazon reviews - although some of their comments are truly cretinous, e.g. "Imagine writing a book by simply stringing quotes and references together..." Yes, imagine ploughing through hundreds of books and other sources, translating the bits you want then creating a coherent narrative. Piece of cake... :shock: ).

It's the book which made me realise the importance of the ordinary soldier's experience. Until then I collected general's memoirs, directives, all the top-level stuff. Since then I've tried to build up a vast library of letters and diaries especially. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Fish
Contributor

Post by Fish »

Sniper, I have purchased the following books at one time or the other here is my take;

Frontsoldaten- Stephen Fritz : I just took this book out of the library yesterday. Hate it, nothing but the work of a wordl war II buff who had to do his thesis / university pysch class paper and took this lines from Sajer and Henrich to name a few. OK there are a few good reads and quotes but I would not buy this book.

Tigers in the Mud- Otto Carns Good book documents the life of Otto Carius good details on the fighting on the Eastern Front primarily (AG Nord) and a bit on the west in the final days.

Campaign in Russia- Leon Degrelle Bought it long ago, written by DeGrelle and documents the service of the Wallonians, good stuff around Cherkassy, but at times you think DeGrelle is the Regt CDR even though he was only a Lt or Olt. I found that out many years after I first read the book. All told a good book and worth a buy, but not top of the list.

Ostfront- Alex Buchner. Good book he documents 5-6 battles fought in 1944 good first hand reports and well worth the purchase. I go back to it all the time.

Last Laurels- George Gunter Good book, well done, a bit expensive if I remember right, but it has good photos and charts and documents the final months around Berlin quite well. I would place it on the top of my list.

Hope it helps
Kevin
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
book lover
Supporter

Post by book lover »

Hi,The best search for used books is:
http://used.addall.com/

It searches all the book sites at one time.I have found over 200 books on that site.
Lexxx
Supporter

Post by Lexxx »

I have to disagree with the panning of Frontsoldaten by Stephen Fritz. I think it is one of the best on your list. Fritz takes most of the German soldier memoirs, distills them down to some of the best quotes from each book, and analyzes the phrases. Quite frankly, I think it is remarkable scholarship that took a great deal of work to create.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Forgot all about this list. I actually have some of these books now and have posted reviews on them. Still looking for some others. I will update the list. Thanks for the replies though.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

BTT w/update.

Really, REALLY, REALLY would like to get a copy of Hitlers Spanish Legion. Becoming an obsession with me to find this book. Had 1 copy and paid for it but the MAIL service lost it. Still bitter on that one.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

It's worth having too, Snipershot, but I'm not parting with my copy :( If it's any consolation, Royal Mail have lost a couple of books bound for me too...

Bounden Duty's ok, but not as good as Soldat.
Ostfront is averagely average. It was fine when there was little else around but it's been surpassed by better efforts now.
Lipfert's diary is really boring, but then again I don't like aerial literature. I shot one plane down, then I shot another. Yawn.... :shock:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Richard, you are a true heretic for Lipfert´s book is one of the best German memoirs I have read! First of all, it has minimum of moralizing, unlike some recent PC efforts like Zörner or Rall or anything Kurt Braatz has laid his hands upon.