Sheepskin Jackets????

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Tim
Supporter

Sheepskin Jackets????

Post by Tim »

Hello Everyone,
Just making one of my annual (it seems) visit to the site.

I have a question that someone may be able to help me with.

I have come across one or two photo's of a jacket being worn by the likes of Diefenthal in the Ardennes and a similar sheepskin jacket being worn in a photo from the Squadron book 'S Boote in action'. The description said it was French by origin.... Hmmm

I dont mean the black leather coat that U boote crews used and I think Peiper was seen in one in a number of photos.

The picture's I've seen showing Diefenthal are included in the After the Battle book 'Battle of the Bulge', and seperately a colour plate, by Ron Volstad, as well as photo in the Osprey book 'Peiper and Skorzeny'.

Hope someone can shed some light for me.

On another note I read in Whitings book on Peiper that Diefenthal was identified by an American witness at the Malmedy trials at Dachau - and I quote roughly, (I got rid of the book!) "... because he was wearing a captured American Jacket", interesting as I know that isn't true. (Mind you alot of what was said was a stretch.)

Anyway some chewing gum for the brain, hope someone is an expert on this subject ie, Non standard and aquired military equipment used by members of the SS and S boote crews!!! :wink:

Ta Tim
Kia Kaha!
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Re: Sheepskin Jackets????

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

Without photos it's difficult to identify the jacket with certainty, but sheepskin jackets were on widespread issue to the Heer, Luftwaffe and Waffen-SS, as well as various auxilliary formations (Railway troops and Polizei).

Photos of one standard type here: http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H084156.html

There were many other types, both regulation and non-regulation. Some short, some long.
Tim
Supporter

Re: Sheepskin Jackets????

Post by Tim »

Nope not the one, but thanks anyway.
Kia Kaha!