Credit for tank kills

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Helmut
Patron

Credit for tank kills

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Something that has puzzled me for some time is how was credit given to tanks for kills of enemy tanks. Did the score follow the tank commander, the gunner, or the crew? The commander or the gunner could be transferred to a different position or unit or even tank. Did that " score" go with him/ The crew was also in flux so and for that matter they could always get a new tank. I'm sure Michael Wittmann ddi not have the same tank, crew, or gunner for his entire career. Even though he was the tank commander, the kills, I'm sure were as much the work of at least the gunner and the entire crew as a combined effort.
Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Helmut
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

AFAIK it went with the commander...but didn't Wittmann by chance have the same gunner for over half his career?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Yes he had Bathazar Woll for most of his career but that means he had another gunner for the other half. Seeing as the gunner does most of the work as far as killing other tanks, it just doesn't seem right that the tank commander gets all the credit. :?

Regards,

Helmut
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

True, but that's for us 60 years later! At the time I'm sure they had peer recognition on the lines of "*I* was Michael Wittmann's gunner!"
Let's face it - what in the end was Wittmann's reward for his fame but to go to his eternal rest?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

As for the man who ended Wittmann's life, well he WAS merely a lowly gunner but has quite rightly been credited not just with the destruction of Wittmann's Tiger but two others in the same action. So, step forward Trooper Joe Elkins of the 1st Northants Yeomanry.
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

The gunner would receive credit as well. Woll and Knispel received credit for kills scored as a gunner, and those scored as a commander. However it seems that kill scored as a commander had a higher recognition than the gunners. Woll I believe had about 100 kills, of which about 80 were as a gunner, and the remainder as a commander. Knispel had 168 kills, of which 126 were as a gunner, and 42 as a commander. On the other hand all of Wittmann's 138 kills, and all of Bolter's 139 kills were as commanders. So it seems the commander's kills counted more. I got this info. from a thread on AHF.
Klaus Richter
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Klaus - the question would be...higher recognition or reputation? It was the Nazi domestic-comsumption propaganda mill that made the reputations of men like Wittmann, alongside fighter aces and high-scoring U-Boat captains.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

I agree one hundred percent. That's why men like Wittmann were given more honors, than the gunners. It was partly for propaganda purposes. Now, I don't think that should in any way discredit Wittmann, or similar U boat Captains, yet it is unfortunate for the lower ranks who didn't receive equal or greater recognition.
Klaus Richter