NSFO ?

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
Laurens
Supporter

NSFO ?

Post by Laurens »

While doing some research on a diary, I came across the abbreviation 'N.S.F.O.'
It turned out that this must be the National Sozialistische Führungs Organisation. But what exactly were they and what was their duty?
Any insight will be appreciated.

Laurens
Piet Duits
Associate

NSFO

Post by Piet Duits »

Hi,

The german NFSO was the russian counterpart of the party official. Even with a low rank, he got too much saying in matters, in fear of being called warsick (or much worse).

What I have read about it, the NSFO's weren't that kind of heroes, not to talk about what the "fellow" soldiers thought of them.
Even within the SS, there were double feelings about these types.

I know about 2 stories, one from the 9. SS and one from the Panzer-Lehr, that the NSFO's of those divisions were cowards. They were simply laughed at because of this, so I wonder how great the influence in decisions in those divisions were.
But, and this is something I really wonder: how large was their influence in other divisions? How many blood have those types on their hands?

Hope this helps a bit,

Piet
Laurens
Supporter

What matters ?

Post by Laurens »

Bedankt Piet!

I never knew a party official could interfere with a unit. You mentioned 'matters' as a global word, but at what direction are you going here? I think certain strategic matters and/or cases were up to the High Command, so the pure role of a party official should be to give advice. Is that correct?

Secondly, isn't it so that the NSFO became active in the beginning of 1943?

Best regards,
Laurens
George Lepre

Post by George Lepre »

Hi guys -

I might be able to add some information to this thread.

Waffen-SS units also had political officers. In my research on the 13th SS Division, I learned that the political officer (Himmler forbade use of the term "commissar") was assigned to the division staff's Abteilung VI.

In the 13th SS Division, the political officer was not an NSDAP functionary but a Waffen-SS officer. I should point out, however, that the man in question, SS-Hstuf. Ekkehard Wangemann, was a long-time party member who had also served in the Allgemeine SS. In any case, Wangemann came into bitter conflict with SS-Brif. Sauberzweig, the division commander, and SS-Stubaf. Braun, the division's operations officer over policy and was eventually transferred to the 27th SS Division. There, Wangemann assumed command of an assault gun unit and was decorated for bravery.

I believe that each division is different and must be studied individually, but I'm sure that at least some commanders saw the introduction of political officers as an intrusion on their authority.

Best regards,

George Lepre