Failure of 16. PD, 17. PD, 1.PD and 8. PD at Brody, 1944

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

GaryD
Supporter

Post by GaryD »

Igorn wrote:Yes, Lev Lopukhovsy says nothing about Czech tanks. This is what is known as a "straw-man" argument. You can't defeat my argument, so you invent a new one and defeat that. Please re-examine my post and tell me where I quote Lopukhovsky for Czech booty tanks in German service . Please do, I'll wait..... :wink:
Igorn wrote:Actually, he refers to the US Army Research and Development Center study of the Kursk Battle, published in 1998. According to this study (as per Lopukhovsky) only 2. SS Panzer-Korps had 66 “booty tanks” (e.g. ex-Soviet, ex-Czechoslovakian etc.). This number included minimum 26 “booty” T-34 tanks. XXXXVIII Panzer-Korps as of July 4 1943 had 22 “booty” ex-French tanks. According to the same study overall percentage of damages of Totenkopf Tigers during Citadel is 190.9% that means that these heavy tanks were many times disabled/damaged and after repair were applied again. For example, as of July 13th 10 Tigers of this division were disabled.
Clear enough?

It's not at all a straw man argument. You claim one thing then prove yourself wrong, simple as that.
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

GaryD wrote:
Igorn wrote:Yes, Lev Lopukhovsy says nothing about Czech tanks. This is what is known as a "straw-man" argument. You can't defeat my argument, so you invent a new one and defeat that. Please re-examine my post and tell me where I quote Lopukhovsky for Czech booty tanks in German service . Please do, I'll wait..... :wink:
Igorn wrote:Actually, he refers to the US Army Research and Development Center study of the Kursk Battle, published in 1998. According to this study (as per Lopukhovsky) only 2. SS Panzer-Korps had 66 “booty tanks” (e.g. ex-Soviet, ex-Czechoslovakian etc.). This number included minimum 26 “booty” T-34 tanks. XXXXVIII Panzer-Korps as of July 4 1943 had 22 “booty” ex-French tanks. According to the same study overall percentage of damages of Totenkopf Tigers during Citadel is 190.9% that means that these heavy tanks were many times disabled/damaged and after repair were applied again. For example, as of July 13th 10 Tigers of this division were disabled.
Clear enough?

It's not at all a straw man argument. You claim one thing then prove yourself wrong, simple as that.
Don't twist my words. I was just explaining what booty tanks in German service mean. In this context I was saying that German army in the east also had booty Czech tanks. I was doing it in brackets. While referring to Lopukhovsky I stated only the exact number of booty French and Russian tanks in German service he claimed in his book. :wink:

Best Regards from Russia,
Igor
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Igorn wrote:This is just confirms that the number of booty tanks mentioned by Michate is incomplete. If one wants to have an apple to apple comparison. Why we should ignore Panzer 38 (t), Pz-II or SOMUA S-35 (f) but count the similar crap in Russian service like Lend-Lease M3 Lees (Russian nick name –“a coffin for seven comrades”, Valentine or T-60?
Sorry Igorn, you are creating a non-existant argument, a strawman. Neither Hahn or Michate's quote of Hahn are "incomplete" because the "complete" count of German Beutepanzer does not include the Pz-35 (t) or Pz-38 (t). They were never considered as "Beute" by the Germans sicne they aquired Czechoslovakia and in it Skodawerke (Piklesen) and BMM (Prague). Again as I say, perverse, but....

OTOH, that the count of Deutsche Panzers does not include them is another matter. And of course it is interesting to note them and comment on them, but it is rather silly to criticize a study based on documents that do not report them at all let alone report them as tanks as incomplete. If on the other hand Zetterling or anyone else had written a study based on a report that did included them, but then did not count them, either willfully or by error, then you have a basis for criticism.

So in the end you have discovered 9 Pz-38 (t) in 20. Panzer-Division, used as command vehicles in the Panzerjaeger-Abteilung, for unknown purposes in the Pionier-Abteilung (that is interesting BTW, it would be nice to have pictures and a description of how they were used), and in the Artillerie-Regiment where they were utilized as command and observation vehicles.

BTW, where did I say that anything should be "ignored"?
Rich wrote:I can reply to you that the Russian T-60 or T-70 were also designed and used not for tank combat purposes. They were mostly used as reconnaissance or observations vehicles similarly to the Pz-I, Pz-II or Panzer 38 (t). Tell me why we count Russian light tanks but ignore their German peers?
You are yet again creating a strawman; an argument that I did not make. It seems to be a habit of yours? I stated why the Pz-38 (t) were not counted, I said nothing about ignoring them.

But "let's be candid" :D your argument is on shakey ground, the T-60 and T-70 were designed as tanks, so presumably for "tank combat purposes". And they were most definitely utilized as tanks at Kursk, they formed their own companies in the tank battalions and brigades. OTOH, it could be easily argued that since in your example of the Pz-38 (t) they were no longer being used as tanks and were no longer part of the tank regiment or battalions of the division they were assigned to, that perhaps they shouldn't be counted. The same logic could be applied to the Pz-I and Pz-II, since they were not actually utilized as tanks either. OTOH, we did count them as tanks and probably would have done the same if our study had included the north and 20. Panzer.

But yoiu are creating a "mountain out of a molehill". Zetterling and others have missed some of these because quite simply much of the original German documentation leaves them out, or buries them in obscure corners. :D
Rich wrote:Let’s be candid. German Marder II and Marder III and Russian SU-76 are similar type of vehicles. For the Russian side all SU-76 and SU-122 SP guns were counted for the German side not. Conclusion this is not an apple to apple comparison.
You do love that phrase, don't you? So, let's dissect your candidness. :D

First, your restate what I just said....Marders and SU-76 are remarkably similar vehicles, built to remarkably similar designs and for essentially the same purpose. Then, you suddenly insert the SU-122 into the argument!? And just what the hell does that have to do with it? :wink: The SU-122 is much more akin to the Sturmgeschuetz and Sturmhaubitz in design and purpose, so how is that "apples to apples"?
Question: on which page of his book Mr. Zetterling stated the exact number of Marder II and Marder III tank destroyers in “Citadel” south– 113 machines?
Let's see, what part of "he didn't, except for the Panzer divisions" do you not understand? :roll: And "let me be candid" myself, it took a lot of effort to actually develop the count of Marders that we did come up with for the Infanterie....and (dirty little secret) I'm not 100 percent sure that our count is correct. Or rather, I'm 100 percent sure that it is probably at least partly in error, since the documentation is not always 100 percent clear on whether the 7.5cm 0r 7.62 cm s. Pak being referred to was towed or self-propelled. So it is at least 95 percent correct and may be 100 percent correct, I don't know and given the state of the documentation I doubt of anyone will ever know for sure.

But in any case Zetterling did not give exact counts of the antitank guns, towed or self-propelled, since the documentation he was using did not give them. And if he chose not to spend an additional few months chasing after those figures, I for one find it difficult to blame him, especially since he gave no pretensions that he had done so or that his figures were complete.
Rich wrote:A Wespe was a self-propelled gun, which possessed 10.5 centimeters LeFH 18/2 howitzer. A Hummel was a self-propelled gun, which possessed a 15-centimeter howitzer. I agree that in 1943 Russians didn’t have similar vehicles. But Russians have, for example, KV-2 tank armed with 15 centimeter howitzer, which western historians always included in their statistics.
Sorry, strawman again, your are creating arguments that I did not make and also making invalid comparisons. I stated why the Hummel and Wespe were not counted as tanks. And in fact during World War II AFAIK the Soviets never had such vehicles, the SU-76 was a self-propelled antitank gun and the SU and ISU series of 85mm, 100mm, 122mm, and 152mm self-propelled pieces were primarily utilized as direct fire assault artillery, not as indirect fire field artillery.
In 1941-42 before appearance of first Tigers Germans didn’t have such a category like heavy tanks while Russians were having KV-1 and KV-2, which were invulnerable to German tanks of that time. Does the absence of heavy tanks with German side mean that Soviet heavy tanks should be also ignored? Western historians didn’t think know.
Strawman, sorry, I never made that argument and in any case the logical fallacy is that KV-1 and KV-2 were actually tanks and have been counted as tanks, as were the Tigers.
Conclusion: if one count all SP guns for the Russian side (SU-76, SU-122, SU-152) then all SP guns should be counted for the German side as well, which is not the case with Zetterling.
It would be interesting if you could point out where Zetterling - or anyone else for that matter - has made such a comparison? On pages 67-68 he does make the incorrect assumption that the "SU-76 resembled the German Marder....but its [the SU-76] intended role on the battlefield was more similar to the Sturmgescheutz". But that is in his description of the physical characteristics of the vehicles, it is not a numerical comparison.

So he never made the comparisons you alledge, he carefully noted in several places that in comparison to his German figures those for the Soviets were incomplete and based upon aggregates from Soviet sources, which do not make the distinction between various types of vehicles (the totals are for "tanks and SP guns").
On which page of his book Mr. Zetterling states that 106. Infanterie Division had 9 StuH ? :wink:
Tell me, just what part of my sentence did you fail to comprehend?
Russian SU-122 and SU-152 are not tanks but self-propelled guns as well. I don’t get why all the Russians machines are counted while German Grille self-propelled guns are ignored? Is it apple to apple comparison? Just to remind you that German Grille SP-gun could be effectively used against Russian tanks of 1943. Why we count SU-122 and SU-152 but ignore Grille?
The Grille could be "effectively used against Russian tanks"? For Gods sake man, drop the Vodka bottle, it's clouding your judgement. :D Seriously, attempting to use a Grille against a tank of any kind is asking for trouble, it is virtually unarmored and the piece has nowhere near the accuracy to acheive a first round hit, which given the ROF would be about the only thing that would keep it alive. Attempting to use such pieces in such a manner, be it Grille, Wespe, Hummel, M7, or Sexton, was not "effective use."

BTW, strawman again, no one except you has made any claim that one vehicle or another has been "ignored" by anyone or that anyone has made any "comparisons" at all, "apple to apple" or any other kind.
Question: On which page of his book Mr. Zetterling informs his readers that Germans had during Citadel on the south 38 Grille self-propelled guns?
Tell me on which page of his book Mr. Zetterling provided exact number of German Pz-II tanks -43 to his readers?
Russian T-60 and T-70 was used in similar manner. The same approach should be applied to both sides. Either we count all light German and Russian tanks or we ignore them for both sides.

But is it fair to count all M3 Lees, Valentine, T-60, T-70 for Russian side but ignore all Pz-I, Pz-II, 38 (t), S-35 (f) for German side? Is it apple to apple comparison?
Strawman, yet again. First, T-60 and T-70 were not used in a similar manner, it might be revealing if you compare the loss rate of the Panzer I and II to the loss rate of the T-60 and T-70. Second, you are claiming that comparisons were being made, when nothing of the sort occurred.
[This is fine with me. Just one question. On which page of his book Mr. Zetterling says that Germans have in south 509 Pz-III tanks in different versions (excluding XXIV Panzer-Korps)?
Huh? PP. 185-189. I get a quick count of 379 Pz-III-type (using the KOSAVE definitions) operational. I will have to go back to the KOSAVE data to find where the discrepancies are if any.
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Igorn wrote:What I really said that according to Lev Lopukhovsky, the XXXXVIII Panzer-Korps had 26 ex-French tanks and 26 ex-Russian T-34. I also said that he refers to the US Army Research and Development Center study of the Kursk Battle, published in 1998. According to this study (as per Lopukhovsky) only 2. SS Panzer-Korps had 66 “booty tanks” (e.g. ex-Soviet, ex-Czechoslovakian etc.). This number included minimum 26 “booty” T-34 tanks. XXXXVIII Panzer-Korps as of July 4 1943 had 22 “booty” ex-French tanks.

Best Regard from Russia,
A few quibbles here.
8)
First, there is no "US Army Research and Development Center" and the nonexistant center did not do a study of the Kursk Battle. :D

There is a US Army Center for Army Analysis, which did a study of the Kursk Data Base that they had commissioned from the Dupuy Institute. That is known as the KOSAVE Study and is not really a study of the battle, it is more a study of the database as a tool for model validation (although it does some analysis of fractional exchange rates and such in the battle).

There are no Czech "booty" tanks in the KDB in the SS Panzer Korps and in fact, none in the database, I'm unsure how that confusion exists? Nor are there any "French" booty tanks in the KDB and there were none with the SS Panzer Korps, III Panzer Korps, or XXXXVIII Panzer Korps, those were Flammpanzer not French. :roll:

The 26 Beutepanzer that did exist were the T-34 in Totenkopf.
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Igorn wrote:Don't twist my words. I was just explaining what booty tanks in German service mean. In this context I was saying that German army in the east also had booty Czech tanks.
That may have been what you intended to do, but you did not. :D Yes, you have established the presence of nine Pz-38 (t) with 20. Panzer-Division, which is interesting. No, they were not Beutepanzer, because the German service definition excluded them.

But I should stop teasing you about that, it is an interesting subject for research. In fact, the Germans reported Beutepanzer separately and did not include the Pz-38 (t) with them. They did count the ex-French, ex-Soviet, and ex-British tanks they had on hand with operational units, but not the Czech tanks. And although they did count the 38 (t) in the monthly Heer summary, they stopped including them in the theater 10-day reports sometime in 1943, I'll try to go through tem and see if I can figure out when (the files are in the office). And that is a fairly reasonable why to see how they themselves viewed them....for example in the 1940 campaign 7. Panzer-Division actual reported their Pz-38 (t) as Panzer-III, since at that time they were considered an interchangeable equivalent! (I'm not sure but I rather expect that the other divisions equipped with them reported the same way. But by mid-1943 they were no longer being considered so equivalent and were being withdrawn from service as a "tank" (much the same happened the following year withthe Pz-III).

I'll see if I can dig further into this, it will be interesting to see if any more can be identified with units and how they might have been used.
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

Rich wrote:
Igorn wrote:This is just confirms that the number of booty tanks mentioned by Michate is incomplete. If one wants to have an apple to apple comparison. Why we should ignore Panzer 38 (t), Pz-II or SOMUA S-35 (f) but count the similar crap in Russian service like Lend-Lease M3 Lees (Russian nick name –“a coffin for seven comrades”, Valentine or T-60?
Sorry Igorn, you are creating a non-existant argument, a strawman. Neither Hahn or Michate's quote of Hahn are "incomplete" because the "complete" count of German Beutepanzer does not include the Pz-35 (t) or Pz-38 (t). They were never considered as "Beute" by the Germans sicne they aquired Czechoslovakia and in it Skodawerke (Piklesen) and BMM (Prague). Again as I say, perverse, but....
Let’s avoid emotions and would stick to facts.

1. Were the Pz-35 (t) and Pz-38 (t) booty Czech tanks used in German service on the eastern front?
2. Does German Army during Citadel (e.g. 20.P.D) used Pz-38 (t) booty Czech tanks?
3. Were these Pz-38 (t) booty Czech tanks recorded ?
4. Does the (t) stands for Czech origin of this vehicle?
5. Why one counts (r), (e), (f) but ignores (t)?

Re. French vehicles in German service according to respected http://ostpanzer.asty.ru apart from SOMUA S-35 (f) and some other tanks the below listed machines were used in SP-gun capacity. It is a big question whether such machines were recorded and included in the German armor strength.

• 8 cm schwerer granatwerfer 34 auf Panzerpahrwagen AMR (f)
• 4,7 cm. Pak (t) auf Panzerkampfwagen 35 R(f)
• 4,7 cm. Pak 181 oder 183 (f) auf Panzerjager Lorraine-S (f)
• 7,5 cm. PAK-40/1 auf Lorrain Schlepper (f) Marder-I (Sd.Kfz. 135)
• 7,5 cm. Pak-40 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen 38H (f)
• 7,5 cm. Pak 40 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen FCM (f)
• 10,5 cm. leFH 16 auf Geschuetzwagen FCM (f)
• 10,5 cm. leFH 18/40 auf Geschuetzwagen 38H (f)
• 10,5 cm. leFH 18/4 auf Geschuetzwagen Lr. S. (f)
• 12,2 cm. Kanone (r) auf Geschuetzwagen Lorraine-Shlepper (f)
• 15 cm. SFH 13/1 (Sf) auf Geschuetzwagen Lr.S. (f) (Sd.Kfz. 135/1)
Rich wrote:OTOH, that the count of Deutsche Panzers does not include them is another matter. And of course it is interesting to note them and comment on them, but it is rather silly to criticize a study based on documents that do not report them at all let alone report them as tanks as incomplete. If on the other hand Zetterling or anyone else had written a study based on a report that did included them, but then did not count them, either willfully or by error, then you have a basis for criticism.
The selective German count of tanks and SP guns does not change the bold historical fact that not all booty tanks were counted in the number provided by Hahn. The point that Germans forgot to include some tanks in the count of Deutsche Panzers does not change the historical fact that these “forgotten” tanks were applied by the German army.
Rich wrote:You are yet again creating a strawman; an argument that I did not make. It seems to be a habit of yours? I stated why the Pz-38 (t) were not counted, I said nothing about ignoring them.
I see you like hostile emotional assumptions and misinterpretations? I didn’t mean you when I was saying about an ignorance of some vehicles in German service by some western authors like Hahn, Zetterling etc. and excluding them from the German strength on the eastern front.
Rich wrote:But "let's be candid" :D your argument is on shakey ground, the T-60 and T-70 were designed as tanks, so presumably for "tank combat purposes". And they were most definitely utilized as tanks at Kursk, they formed their own companies in the tank battalions and brigades. OTOH, it could be easily argued that since in your example of the Pz-38 (t) they were no longer being used as tanks and were no longer part of the tank regiment or battalions of the division they were assigned to, that perhaps they shouldn't be counted. The same logic could be applied to the Pz-I and Pz-II, since they were not actually utilized as tanks either. OTOH, we did count them as tanks and probably would have done the same if our study had included the north and 20. Panzer.
But yoiu are creating a "mountain out of a molehill". Zetterling and others have missed some of these because quite simply much of the original German documentation leaves them out, or buries them in obscure corners. :D
Yes, let’s be candid. Russian T-60 and T-70 were designed as light tanks. They were mostly used for reconnaissance, as convoy vehicles, in signal units and as artillery tractors for ZIS-2 antitank and ZIS-3 field guns. They were also used as commanders' tanks.

This is what wikipedia says about T-70 and T-60.

The T-70 light tank was used by the Army of the Soviet Union during World War II, replacing both the T-60 scout tank for reconnaissance and the T-50 light infantry tank for infantry support. The infantry tank role was already considered obsolete. The SU-76 self-propelled gun was better suited for infantry support, its 76.2-mm gun capable of firing a larger high explosive shell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-70

German Pz-I Panzerkampfwagen ISd. Kfz. 101 )and Pz-II (Panzerkampfwagen II Sd. Kfz. 121) as well as booty Czechoslovakian Pz-38 (t) were designed as the light tanks. They were also initially used in combat tank role and later were transformed into tanks to be used in non-armor roles, e.g. forward observation vehicles, ammunition carriers or combat-engineer vehicles. They were rarely used within the tank battalions themselves but they were entered in the overall armor status of the divisions on 2 and 11 July 1943 but not as part of the respective tank battalions.

Therefore I don’t buy your argument that Zetterling and some others should be excused for not including these tanks since much of the original German documentation leaves them out.
If they really wanted to collect information about the exact number of these vehicles used in Citadel they could had found data in the original German overall armor status of the divisions as of 2 and 11 July 1943.
Rich wrote: First, your restate what I just said....Marders and SU-76 are remarkably similar vehicles, built to remarkably similar designs and for essentially the same purpose. Then, you suddenly insert the SU-122 into the argument!? And just what the hell does that have to do with it? :wink: The SU-122 is much more akin to the Sturmgeschuetz and Sturmhaubitz in design and purpose, so how is that "apples to apples"?
I can tell you what it has to do. German Marder II, Marder III, StuG/StuH, Hornissen and Ferdinande as well as Russian SU-76, SU-122 and SU-152 SP guns participated in Citadel and were used in tank destroyer and self-propelled gun capacity. We are not arguing here combat effectiveness role and tactical peculiarities of Russian and German vehicles.

Re. apple to apple:

For German side only Ferdinande and StuG/StuH (not all that could be seen on the example of 9 StuH of 106. Infanterie Division) were counted by Mr. Zetterling. Marder II, Marder III and Hornissen were not counted by him for the German side.

Although according to J.Restayn and N.Moller “At this time of the war Marder III was the best tank destroyer. It was used by all of the SS divisions involved in Citadel. The 7.5-cm antitank gun was better than the Russian 76.2 mm gun, however protection for the crew was poor”

Here what Velimir Vuksic in his book is saying about Marder II: “The 75mm Pak 40/2 antitank gun could penetrate the armor of Soviet medium tanks although its superstructure offered minimum protection. For that reason, the Marders should not have been used in the role of tanks. However, due to the high number of tank losses, the Marders were used as replacements.”

Source: Velimir Vuksic , SS Armor on the Eastern Front 1943-1945

Re. Hornissen/Nashorns:

From February of 1943 to March of 1945, only 474 Nashorns and 20 Hornisses were produced. Both models were issued to the schwere Panzerjager Abteilungens and had their debut during the Kursk Offensive with 560 sPzJagAbt and 655th sPzJagAbt and with 525 sPzJagAbt in Italy. Even with their light armor protection and high silhoutte but powerful armament, they proved to be successful tank destroyers.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz2.htm
Rich wrote:
Question: on which page of his book Mr. Zetterling stated the exact number of Marder II and Marder III tank destroyers in “Citadel” south– 113 machines?
Rich wrote: Let's see, what part of "he didn't, except for the Panzer divisions" do you not understand? :roll: And "let me be candid" myself, it took a lot of effort to actually develop the count of Marders that we did come up with for the Infanterie....and (dirty little secret) I'm not 100 percent sure that our count is correct. Or rather, I'm 100 percent sure that it is probably at least partly in error, since the documentation is not always 100 percent clear on whether the 7.5cm 0r 7.62 cm s. Pak being referred to was towed or self-propelled. So it is at least 95 percent correct and may be 100 percent correct, I don't know and given the state of the documentation I doubt of anyone will ever know for sure. And if he chose not to spend an additional few months chasing after those figures, I for one find it difficult to blame him, especially since he gave no pretensions that he had done so or that his figures were complete.
Remark concerning German documentation. It is interesting to see that when Rudolf Lehman in his Leibstandarte III provides German armor strength of the LAH, for example, as of 02.07.1943 he includes Pz II’s, Command Panzers, Motorized Pak Z, Self-propelled Pak, Sturmgeschuetze in the number of German available operational Panzers.

“Number of available Panzers on 02.07.1943:
Panzer II’s -4
Panzer III’s -12
Panzer IV’s – 72
Panzer VI’s -11
Command Panzers -15
Motorized Pak Z -18
Self-propelled Pak -22
Sturmgeschuetze -31”

Source: Rudolf Lehman, Leibstandarte III, P.204

:[]

What I want to say here that Marder II, Marder III as well as Grille were applied by Germans in Citadel and were recorded in German documentation. It depends on the willingness and aim of a particular researcher whether to dig for this information or excuse oneself by saying that it is not easy to understand and interpret German documentation.

Again, I am not disputing with you on the numbers of Marders you provided in your study I am disputing here Mr. Zetterling approach.
But in any case Zetterling did not give exact counts of the antitank guns, towed or self-propelled, since the documentation he was using did not give them.

Rich wrote: I stated why the Hummel and Wespe were not counted as tanks. And in fact during World War II AFAIK the Soviets never had such vehicles, the SU-76 was a self-propelled antitank gun and the SU and ISU series of 85mm, 100mm, 122mm, and 152mm self-propelled pieces were primarily utilized as direct fire assault artillery, not as indirect fire field artillery.
I am not disputing that the main idea behind the design of Wespe and Hummel was to provide all mobile formations with proper and indirect artillery support. However, according to respected http://www.achtungpanzer.com they carried armour-piercing ammunition in case of an encounter to engage enemy vehicles.

My point here is quite simple Hummels and Wespe SP guns were applied in Citadel as SP guns and should be counted as such. That is why the total tank and SP guns strength for both sides should include all the machines.

Wespe's first major action was at Kursk in July of 1943, where it proved to be very effective and afterwards saw active service on all fronts until the end of the war.

Hummels had their debut during operation "Zitadelle (Citadel)" in the Summer of 1943, when some 100 were in service. Hummels were issued to Heavy Self-Propelled Artillery Battery of Panzerartillerie Abteilung of both Wehrmacht and Waffen SS panzer divisions. Each Heavy Self-Propelled Artillery Battery had six Hummels and one Munitionstrager Hummel. Hummels remained in service with Panzerartillerie units until the end of the war and proved to be a very useful "interim solution" weapon, but there were never enough of them to be supplied to frontline units.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/humm.htm
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/wespe.htm
Rich wrote:
Conclusion: if one count all SP guns for the Russian side (SU-76, SU-122, SU-152) then all SP guns should be counted for the German side as well, which is not the case with Zetterling.
It would be interesting if you could point out where Zetterling - or anyone else for that matter - has made such a comparison? On pages 67-68 he does make the incorrect assumption that the "SU-76 resembled the German Marder....but its [the SU-76] intended role on the battlefield was more similar to the Sturmgescheutz". But that is in his description of the physical characteristics of the vehicles, it is not a numerical comparison.

So he never made the comparisons you alledge, he carefully noted in several places that in comparison to his German figures those for the Soviets were incomplete and based upon aggregates from Soviet sources, which do not make the distinction between various types of vehicles (the totals are for "tanks and SP guns").
When Zetterling refers to the aggregates from Soviet sources it should be note that the Soviet sources always included SU-76, SU-122 and SU-152 in the Soviet armor strength in Kursk Battle, as an example one can check the official History of the World War 2 in 12 volumes published in 70s. It must be also noted that the Soviet sources always counted such German vehicles as Marder, Grille, StuG, Wespe, Hummel, Nashorn, Ferdinande as SP guns or assault guns and counted them accordingly.
Rich wrote:
On which page of his book Mr. Zetterling states that 106. Infanterie Division had 9 StuH ? :wink:
As you played the role of Mr. Zetterling advocate I just pointed out that this author forgot to count these 9 StuH, which questions the overall accuracy of his count of the German tanks and SP guns during Citadel.
Rich wrote:
Russian SU-122 and SU-152 are not tanks but self-propelled guns as well. I don’t get why all the Russians machines are counted while German Grille self-propelled guns are ignored? Is it apple to apple comparison? Just to remind you that German Grille SP-gun could be effectively used against Russian tanks of 1943. Why we count SU-122 and SU-152 but ignore Grille?
The Grille could be "effectively used against Russian tanks"? For Gods sake man, drop the Vodka bottle, it's clouding your judgement. :D Seriously, attempting to use a Grille against a tank of any kind is asking for trouble, it is virtually unarmored and the piece has nowhere near the accuracy to acheive a first round hit, which given the ROF would be about the only thing that would keep it alive. Attempting to use such pieces in such a manner, be it Grille, Wespe, Hummel, M7, or Sexton, was not "effective use."
Let’s remember that Grille saw combat service in the tank-destroyer battalions of the Panzer and infantry divisions (e.g. Panzer Divisions of the SS Panzer Korps during Citadel). According to some Russian and western sources (e.g. Lopukhovsky or Restayn) this vehicle had better efficiency as a tank destroyer versus Soviet SU-122, for example, because of higher fire rate per minute and some other characteristics.
Rich wrote:BTW, strawman again, no one except you has made any claim that one vehicle or another has been "ignored" by anyone or that anyone has made any "comparisons" at all, "apple to apple" or any other kind.
If you think that Grille SP guns, which were used in tank destroyer capacity during Citadel, were counted by Mr. Zetterling I can just repeat my question. On which page of his book Mr. Zetterling informs his readers that Germans had during Citadel on the south 38 Grille self-propelled guns?
Rich wrote:
Tell me on which page of his book Mr. Zetterling provided exact number of German Pz-II tanks -43 to his readers?
Russian T-60 and T-70 was used in similar manner. The same approach should be applied to both sides. Either we count all light German and Russian tanks or we ignore them for both sides.
But is it fair to count all M3 Lees, Valentine, T-60, T-70 for Russian side but ignore all Pz-I, Pz-II, 38 (t), S-35 (f) for German side? Is it apple to apple comparison?
Strawman, yet again. First, T-60 and T-70 were not used in a similar manner, it might be revealing if you compare the loss rate of the Panzer I and II to the loss rate of the T-60 and T-70. Second, you are claiming that comparisons were being made, when nothing of the sort occurred.
I have already answered this one above. The bottom line that German Pz-I, Pz-II, S-35 (f). 38 (t) used in Citadel were not counted by Mr. Zetterling and many other western historians while when referring to the Soviet armor strength they counted all the light vehicles in the Soviet service.

Rich wrote: But I should stop teasing you about that, it is an interesting subject for research. In fact, the Germans reported Beutepanzer separately and did not include the Pz-38 (t) with them. They did count the ex-French, ex-Soviet, and ex-British tanks they had on hand with operational units, but not the Czech tanks. And although they did count the 38 (t) in the monthly Heer summary, they stopped including them in the theater 10-day reports sometime in 1943, I'll try to go through tem and see if I can figure out when (the files are in the office). And that is a fairly reasonable why to see how they themselves viewed them....for example in the 1940 campaign 7. Panzer-Division actual reported their Pz-38 (t) as Panzer-III, since at that time they were considered an interchangeable equivalent! (I'm not sure but I rather expect that the other divisions equipped with them reported the same way. But by mid-1943 they were no longer being considered so equivalent and were being withdrawn from service as a "tank" (much the same happened the following year withthe Pz-III).
I have already pointed out that by 1943 Pz-38 (t) as well as Pz-I and Pz-II were rarely used within the tank battalions themselves but they were entered in the overall armor status of the divisions on 2 and 11 July 1943 but not as part of the respective tank battalions.
The Czech Panzer 38 (t) was obsolete as a battle tank by 1943. During the remainder of the war its production continued as a self-propelled gun carriage, for example, Panzerjaeger 38 (t) Ausf. M with a 7.5 cm PaK 40/3 antitank gun with the complete carriage installed on top of the superstructure. According to Velimir Vuksic, a total of 975 were produced. The crew was protected against small arms fire from the front and sides by armor plate. This vehicle saw combat service in the tank-destroyer battalions of the armored and infantry divisions.
However, Velimir Vuksic published on the page 217 of his book an interesting photograph of the Pz-38 (t) tank taken in Hungary in 1945, where this machine was used to protect railways. This photograph confirms that the Pz-38 (t) tanks were used by Germans to the end of the war.

Best Regards from Russia,
Igor
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Igorn wrote:Let’s avoid emotions and would stick to facts.
No emotion on my side, except laughter at your inability to comprehend simply declaritive statements. :roll:
1. Were the Pz-35 (t) and Pz-38 (t) booty Czech tanks used in German service on the eastern front?
2. Does German Army during Citadel (e.g. 20.P.D) used Pz-38 (t) booty Czech tanks?
3. Were these Pz-38 (t) booty Czech tanks recorded ?
4. Does the (t) stands for Czech origin of this vehicle?
5. Why one counts (r), (e), (f) but ignores (t)?
Such as this. But I'll try one more time, and keep it as simple as possible for you.
1) Pz-35 (t) and Pz-38 (t) were used extensively by the German Army as tanks, through 1943. In the Lage recorded 12 January 1944, the following still were listed (total of operational plus those in repair):
HG-A, 17 A:
Rum.-Geb.-K. - 11
Rum. Kav.-K. - 30
HG-Sued, 4 PzA:
8. Pz.-Div. - 1
Eisb.Pz.-Zug 31 - 2
HG-Mitte, 2 A:
110 Inf.-Div. - 1
Korueck 559 - 2
3 PzA:
20. Pz.-Div. 5
G-Nord, 16 A:
Eisb.Pz.-Zug 51 - 2
Ob.West, LVIII Pz.-K.:
155 Res.Pz.-Div. - 1
Grand Total 55

2) With regards to Zitadelle, they are also clearly shown. The Lage for 10 July reports the 9 with 20. Pz.-Div., 3 with 8.Pz.-Div., 1 with 72 Inf.-Div.; there were no others with HG-Mitte and none with HG-Sued, although the Romainians had 45 with HG-A.

3) Yes, but they were not booty tanks.

4) Yes.

5) Because that is the way they were designated by the Germans. It would make as much sense to refer to tanks produced by Nibelungenwerke in Austria as (o) Beutepanzer.
(snip) Beutepanzer were reported in the Beutepanzerlage prepared by OKH. Unfortunately most of those reports are missing or were not microfilmed. In the sole extant copy I have found the listing for Beutepanzer included:

Somua 35 (f) and Befehl
Hotchkiss 38 (and 39, but the Germans rarely distinguuished the two)
Renault 17/18, B1, B2, Flamm, R35
Mark 1 and II (British)
T26, T34, T60, T70, KV I, KV II
MG (?), Funk-Sp.Wg.

The last is interesting in that the Germans usually recorded Lage by vehicle class, Panzer, Pz.-Spah., SPW, StuG, Stuh, PzJg, and so on. Unfortunately most of the individual Lage for types weren't microfilmed or are no longer extant, so it is impossible to give complete counts by type. However, later (fall 1944) O.-Qu. Lage of weapons by front do include the various Beute types, so presumably they were counted.
The selective German count of tanks and SP guns does not change the bold historical fact that not all booty tanks were counted in the number provided by Hahn. The point that Germans forgot to include some tanks in the count of Deutsche Panzers does not change the historical fact that these “forgotten” tanks were applied by the German army.
So include the 13 that were missed. Otherwise, the 26 T-34 are counted. AFA the other types on the Ostfront, as of 31 May there were a grand total of:
HG-A - 4 Renault B2 and 12 Flamm
2 A - ung.-Sich.-Div. 2 S35 (f) and 15 H38(f)
2 Pz (scattered amongst many formations) - 11 T34, 3 T70, 1 KV I, 5 MG, 6 Pz.-Spah.
Mitte (ditto) - 1 T26, 8 T34, 1 KV I, 1 KV II, 12 Pz.-Spah.
I see you like hostile emotional assumptions and misinterpretations? I didn’t mean you when I was saying about an ignorance of some vehicles in German service by some western authors like Hahn, Zetterling etc. and excluding them from the German strength on the eastern front.
No hostility on my part, simple amusement. And laughter at the pot calling the kettle black.
Yes, let’s be candid. Russian T-60 and T-70 were designed as light tanks. They were mostly used for reconnaissance, as convoy vehicles, in signal units and as artillery tractors for ZIS-2 antitank and ZIS-3 field guns. They were also used as commanders' tanks.
Nonsense, they were later used mostly for those purposes. At Kursk they were still being used as battle tanks, although it was their swan song. Otherwise, please explain how 100's of vehicles used for "reconnaissance, as convoy vehicles, in signal units and as artillery tractors" were destroyed in the battle?
(snip)Therefore I don’t buy your argument that Zetterling and some others should be excused for not including these tanks since much of the original German documentation leaves them out.
Then I suppose I shouldn't excuse you either for failing to know how many there were?

BTW, explaining why something is is not "excusing" it, it's what's known as an explanation. And it is not an "argument" either.
If they really wanted to collect information about the exact number of these vehicles used in Citadel they could had found data in the original German overall armor status of the divisions as of 2 and 11 July 1943.
Uh, they did? But they missed the 9 Pz-38 (t). I don't know the how or why, so why don't you ask them? BTW, the "overall armor status" reports were Dekade reports and were as of the 10th, 20th, and 30th or 31st of the month, not "2 and 11 July".
I can tell you what it has to do. German Marder II, Marder III, StuG/StuH, Hornissen and Ferdinande as well as Russian SU-76, SU-122 and SU-152 SP guns participated in Citadel and were used in tank destroyer and self-propelled gun capacity. We are not arguing here combat effectiveness role and tactical peculiarities of Russian and German vehicles.
No, we are arguing what was and what was not included by Zetterling and why. You were the one that decided to draw an invalid comparison.

BTW, Hornissen did not participate in Zitadelle in any function. They were not in the zone of the German attack and due to various teething problems were not considered operational. IIRC their first use was in opposing the Soviet counteroffensive, which is outside the timeframe of Zetterling's study.
Re. apple to apple:

For German side only Ferdinande and StuG/StuH (not all that could be seen on the example of 9 StuH of 106. Infanterie Division) were counted by Mr. Zetterling. Marder II, Marder III and Hornissen were not counted by him for the German side.
To be frank, Zetterling may be correct and we wrong, or rather the KOSAVE study may be wrong, it will take a bit of digging to figure out which. Because you must first understand that the KDB tracked attachments withthe units they were attached to. So it is quite possible that through a mix-up the StuH with Kempf were counted twice on one day, I'll have to check on that. You see, Zetterlings count by unit is correct AFAICT.

Marders were counted for the Panzer divisions by Zetterling, they were not counted for the infantry divisions, that was an effort that took some weeks to decypher, and I'm not sure to this day how correct we got it. And Hornissen were not counted, because they were not there, you've been told that repeatedly, do you honestly think anyone will believe you anymore simply because you repeat something over and over again?
(snip) Here what Velimir Vuksic in his book is saying about Marder II: “The 75mm Pak 40/2 antitank gun could penetrate the armor of Soviet medium tanks although its superstructure offered minimum protection. For that reason, the Marders should not have been used in the role of tanks. However, due to the high number of tank losses, the Marders were used as replacements.”

Source: Velimir Vuksic , SS Armor on the Eastern Front 1943-1945
Marder were never used as substitutes for Panzers, although at this time the reformed "Stalingrad" Panzer divisions (which did not participate in Zitadelle) did have a third battalion in the Panzer regiment equipped with StuG. That may be the source of his confusion.
Re. Hornissen/Nashorns:

From February of 1943 to March of 1945, only 474 Nashorns and 20 Hornisses were produced. Both models were issued to the schwere Panzerjager Abteilungens and had their debut during the Kursk Offensive with 560 sPzJagAbt and 655th sPzJagAbt and with 525 sPzJagAbt in Italy. Even with their light armor protection and high silhoutte but powerful armament, they proved to be successful tank destroyers.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz2.htm
Sorry, but that is incorrect. I'll dig out the original unit reports if you like. Their actual "debut" was in the Soviet counteroffensive.
Remark concerning German documentation. It is interesting to see that when Rudolf Lehman in his Leibstandarte III provides German armor strength of the LAH, for example, as of 02.07.1943 he includes Pz II’s, Command Panzers, Motorized Pak Z, Self-propelled Pak, Sturmgeschuetze in the number of German available operational Panzers.
Your failure to comprehend simple concepts is remarkable. "Liebstandarte" is a Panzer division, not an Infanterie division. Both Lehman and Zetterling identify them.

What part of "he didn't, except for the Panzer divisions" did you fail to understand? :roll:
What I want to say here that Marder II, Marder III as well as Grille were applied by Germans in Citadel and were recorded in German documentation. It depends on the willingness and aim of a particular researcher whether to dig for this information or excuse oneself by saying that it is not easy to understand and interpret German documentation.
Since you have obviously never seen any of the original documentation I doubt that you know what is and is not available in them. When you leave your cozy library and books behind and start digging into the actual records we can discuss your "willingness and aim" to dig for information.
Again, I am not disputing with you on the numbers of Marders you provided in your study I am disputing here Mr. Zetterling approach.
But in any case Zetterling did not give exact counts of the antitank guns, towed or self-propelled, since the documentation he was using did not give them.
Wow, you've almost got it! Z reported the figures in the documents he was able to access, if you understand that how can you "dispute" his "approach"? You on the other hand are able to access a "document" (the KOSAVE study) that he did not have access to. So you now think you know the correct numbers without knowing what went into getting them. I suggest you criticize after you learn what it takes to do such work instead of simply sitting in your chair grabbing books off the shelf.
I am not disputing that the main idea behind the design of Wespe and Hummel was to provide all mobile formations with proper and indirect artillery support. However, according to respected http://www.achtungpanzer.com they carried armour-piercing ammunition in case of an encounter to engage enemy vehicles.
Wespe did as a HEAT round, but AFAIK there wasn't a HEAT round for the 15ck sFH? I'll have to check. But by the same criteria we have to count the SPW as well, since their MG carried "armor-piercing" rounds? And we of curse need to count any vehicle that carries a weapon with an armor-piercing round....so ZgKw with 2cm and 3.7cm AA guns are tanks by your definition....ad infinitum.

In any case, the numbers were given and correctly, you can count them however you like, since you are the one creating specious comparisons.
When Zetterling refers to the aggregates from Soviet sources it should be note that the Soviet sources always included SU-76, SU-122 and SU-152 in the Soviet armor strength in Kursk Battle, as an example one can check the official History of the World War 2 in 12 volumes published in 70s. It must be also noted that the Soviet sources always counted such German vehicles as Marder, Grille, StuG, Wespe, Hummel, Nashorn, Ferdinande as SP guns or assault guns and counted them accordingly.
That would be fine if anyone other than you was making specious comparisons. And where exactly does Zetterling conceal matters by claiming that his Soviet figures are anything other than exactly what they say they are "tanks and assault guns"? Does he state "these figures do not include SU-76 because I'm trying to irritate Igorn?"
As you played the role of Mr. Zetterling advocate I just pointed out that this author forgot to count these 9 StuH, which questions the overall accuracy of his count of the German tanks and SP guns during Citadel.
I'm nobody's advocate except my own. Zetterling counted the StuH in Kempf correctly, by unit, as I said before, he may be correct and we may be wrong, it'll take a day or so to get to the bottom of it.
Rich wrote:Let’s remember that Grille saw combat service in the tank-destroyer battalions of the Panzer and infantry divisions (e.g. Panzer Divisions of the SS Panzer Korps during Citadel). According to some Russian and western sources (e.g. Lopukhovsky or Restayn) this vehicle had better efficiency as a tank destroyer versus Soviet SU-122, for example, because of higher fire rate per minute and some other characteristics.
No, that simply is not correct, and never was correct. Either you have no clue what a Grille is, or you are utilizing fishy sources again. The Grille was an infantry support gun and was utilized exclusively in the Panzergrenadier regiments of Panzer divisions. They were never assigned to any "tank-destroyer battalions" either in Panzer or infantry divisions. And the weapon it mounted was a low-velocity 15cm howitzer, taking pot shots at tanks with it was a good way of getting killed. It did have a higher rate of fire than an SU-122 though, for a very good reason, it was completely open-topped and had light 10mm shielding for the crew.
If you think that Grille SP guns, which were used in tank destroyer capacity during Citadel, were counted by Mr. Zetterling I can just repeat my question. On which page of his book Mr. Zetterling informs his readers that Germans had during Citadel on the south 38 Grille self-propelled guns?
Sorry, but that is classic strawman and classic Igorn technique, you simultaneously create out of whole cloth an argument that was not made, insert an incorrect statement (Grille werenot used as tank destroyers during Zitadelle or any other time), and put words in my mouth.
I have already answered this one above. The bottom line that German Pz-I, Pz-II, S-35 (f). 38 (t) used in Citadel were not counted by Mr. Zetterling and many other western historians while when referring to the Soviet armor strength they counted all the light vehicles in the Soviet service.
Nine Pz-38 (t) of 20. Pz.-Div. were missed. Panzer-I were not counted because nowhere in the original German sources did they appear as tanks, we found them mentioned in LSSAH (IIRC), but I'm not even sure they were still armed. The Panzer-II were reported by Zetterling, but the numbers were inconsistantly reported, he inserted the line in his tables but when he wasn't sure what the quantity was he placed a "?" rather than making up numbers.

BTW, since I am one of those "western historians" you have been trying to use yourself, please stop referring to S-35 (f) that were not there. I have already told you what they were and Zetterling also correctly identified them.

(snip)
von Salza
Supporter

Post by von Salza »

Rich,

Give it up, I did several pages ago. Despite using Soviet Sources Igorn still denied all facts and reasoned arguments used against him. His style of debate seems to be putting his hands over his ears and shouting the loudest. Igorn does not have the ability to grasp the concepts of a reasoned argument.

Regards

David
"Whoever wishes to master the art of war must study it continuously. I....am of the opinion that one lifetime is not enough to attain this goal." - Frederick II
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

von Salza wrote:Rich,

Give it up, I did several pages ago. Despite using Soviet Sources Igorn still denied all facts and reasoned arguments used against him. His style of debate seems to be putting his hands over his ears and shouting the loudest. Igorn does not have the ability to grasp the concepts of a reasoned argument.

Regards

David
You noticed? :D I can't decide if I like to suicidily poke sticks at sleeping bears :wink: or if I'm still hoping he'll grow up someday and engage in civilized discourse with the rest of the world?

But seriously he has noticed some interesting problems with the various reports and the figures derived from them. Frankly, I had never noticed that they continued to report the Pz-38 (t) on the OKH Panzerlage through 1943. Even more interesting of course, is that the counts of those in service and those on hand actually seem to differ radically, but I suppose the difference are those being held for conversion. For example, the on hand I cited for 31 December 1943 (reported 12 January 1944) was 55 and yet I have seen figures that report the inventory as 227 as of 1 January 1944 (the figure cited by Jentz, but I have yet to find the document he was working from, and he does not footnote! :( ). And I'm sure Igorn will decide this is a new conspiracy of some sort. :wink:
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote:
Igorn wrote:As you played the role of Mr. Zetterling advocate I just pointed out that this author forgot to count these 9 StuH, which questions the overall accuracy of his count of the German tanks and SP guns during Citadel.
I'm nobody's advocate except my own. Zetterling counted the StuH in Kempf correctly, by unit, as I said before, he may be correct and we may be wrong, it'll take a day or so to get to the bottom of it.
To update, I see where the problem is now. The StuH are:

KOSAVE/KDB identified them with 11. Pz.-Div. of XXXXVIII Pz.-K., which is what they were attached to. Z identifies them as StuG.-Abtl. 911, which was their parent formation (p. 65). He counted 9, we identified only 8, I'm not sure why without going further, 1 may have been in long-term repair.

KOSAVE/KDB identified them with 106. Inf.-Div. of Korps Raus, which is what they were attached to. Z identifies them as StuG.-Abtl. 905, which was their parent fomration (p.65).

Both are in fact correct, except that Z counts 1 more than KOSAVE/KDB. I hope that is clear finally.
Panzeralex
Supporter

Post by Panzeralex »

Hi Rich
According documents O.Qu. Pz.A.O.K. 4 there were only 22 StuG in StuG.Abt. 911 on 1.7.43,
and during the period 1-10.7.43 StuG.Abt. 911 received 9 new StuH 42.

best regards,
Panzeralex
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Panzeralex wrote:Hi Rich
According documents O.Qu. Pz.A.O.K. 4 there were only 22 StuG in StuG.Abt. 911 on 1.7.43,
and during the period 1-10.7.43 StuG.Abt. 911 received 9 new StuH 42.

best regards,
Panzeralex
Yes, now I remember! Thanks Alex, that helps, it's been a while. Chris and Jay did most of the work on the German records (I spent a lot of time trying to find tiny little villages on the map to figure out where units were, which isn't easy when you don't know Cyrillic....they all looked Greek to me!) :D

But I seem to recall they found (in the Korps or Division records, I'm not sure) that only 8 actually arrived, almost on the eve of the battle, and the last actually arrived after the battle (the OKH files are frequently inconsistant in comparison to the Korps and Division reports, in terms of total numbers and exact dates, mostly because of transmission errors and reporting dates). They were evidently all attached to 11. Panzer throughout the period, I'm not sure if their losses were combat or mechanically related, and I'm not really sure how "involved" they were with the actual fighting (which is another issue entirely).
Panzeralex
Supporter

Post by Panzeralex »

Some additional about StuH (source O.Qu. Pz.A.O.K. 4 records):
On 11.7.43 in StuG.Abt.911 were:
16 combat-ready StuG and 5 StuG in short-term repair
7 combat-ready StuH and 2 in short-term repair,
also mentioned, that during the period 1.-10.7.43 received 9 new StuH 42, chassis numbers: 92404, 92416, 92441, 92442, 92489, 92490, 92491, 92499, 92500.

best regards,
Panzeralex
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Panzeralex wrote:Some additional about StuH (source O.Qu. Pz.A.O.K. 4 records):
On 11.7.43 in StuG.Abt.911 were:
16 combat-ready StuG and 5 StuG in short-term repair
7 combat-ready StuH and 2 in short-term repair,
also mentioned, that during the period 1.-10.7.43 received 9 new StuH 42, chassis numbers: 92404, 92416, 92441, 92442, 92489, 92490, 92491, 92499, 92500.

best regards,
Panzeralex
That must be the document. Now all I need to know is why Chris and Jay counted them as 8? :D
Panzeralex
Supporter

Post by Panzeralex »

Yes, Rich,
it's info from document, that you can look here:
http://panzeralex.narod.ru/StuGAbt_911.jpg

And as for me, I'm interesting too, why Chris and Jay counted only 8 StuH? :D

best regards,
Panzeralex