Luftwaffe Kill Credit Info Request

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Dwight Pruitt

Luftwaffe Kill Credit Info Request

Post by Dwight Pruitt »

I collect posthumous US Purple Heart Medals. On my website: http://www.lorwings.com/PurpleHearts/index.shtml , I try to tell the stories of the medals in my collection. One of these men, SSG Fred Howland, was a radio operator/aerial gunner on a B-17 from the 385th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force. His aircraft was shot down in the English Channel returning from a mission to Friedrichshafen on 24 April 1944. His aircraft was downed by two Bf-109 at approximately 3:55 PM near Calais, France. The plane's position at the time of the crash was 54* 02' north -01*30' east.

I'm trying to find out which, if any, Luftwaffe pilots were given credit for downing this particular aircraft.

Thanks in advance,
Dwight Pruitt
Erich
Enthusiast

29 April 1944

Post by Erich »

Dwight :

The only claim I have over France this date......all others were over Germany proper.

Oberleutnant Waldemar Radener of 7./JG 26 claimed 1 B-17 at 13.35 hours 5 km south east of Roubaix.

hth

E
Dwight Pruitt

Post by Dwight Pruitt »

Erich, many thanks for your help. The MACR makes note that the B-17 flew awhile on one engine after the fighter attack. This could be the one,

Thanks again,
Dwight
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

Dwight :

You are very welcome and I hope this info is correct. I have checked through the data base three times picking through the German fighter formations this date.

E