Help finding info on Vlassov's Army (ROA)

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

thecanucker

Post by thecanucker »

Before I forget, Michael where did you get your copy of "Against Hitler and Stalin?" I've been combing a few online book stores and can't find one with it in stock. A couple have said they could possibly order it but it could be at least three months wait, which obviously I don't want to do. And it seems to be hard to find at my local libraries.
Cheers,
thecanucker
or email me at [email protected]
"Possession is nine-tenths of the law"
viclip

Against Hitler & Stalin

Post by viclip »

There's a whole pile of the works of Strik-Strikfeldt in several languages including English, listed for sale at:

http://www.abebooks.com

I've found numerous books with ease using that site, which rare or out-of-print publications had previously seemed impossible to locate. They also have a "wanted" service for books not already posted by vendors.
thecanucker

Post by thecanucker »

Thanks Viclip, I'll check out that website right away.
Last edited by thecanucker on Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecanucker

Post by thecanucker »

Hey guys, if anyone is interested in wartime posters in connection with Vlasov and the ROA I have just dug up a short (6 page) article by John Erickson in History Today titled "Nazi posters in wartime Russia" with a number of wartime recruiting and propaganda posters used both by the Germans and the Soviets directly linked to the deployment of Russian citizens against Stalin and the Red Army. There is a short text article attached with a brief overview of what each poster was trying to achieve. If anyone is interested either reply to this thread or email me and I'll send you a copy on PDF (Adobe Acrobat Reader).
Cheers,
thecanucker
Morden
Supporter

Post by Morden »

thecanucker wrote: I looked at a couple which were quite helpful.
Does anyone know anything about the guys (Lt. Gen Wladyslaw Anders and Antonio Munoz) who wrote the article at: http://www.feldgrau.com/rvol.html? Whether they are members of this forum. That article was very good and very informative, I'd like to contact them as to how they wrote it (whether it was for publishing? I noticed the editors comments in the endnotes.) Anyone if anyone else has any good information it would all be much appreciated.
Cheers,
thecanucker
Lt. Gen. Wladyslaw Anders was a proffessional soldier in pre-WWII Poland. In 1939 he was cavalary brigade commander. While trying to get to hungarian border and further to France to join polish army he was wounded and catched by soviet troops. Luckily he escaped execution in Katyn and become commander of polish troops in SU after german invasion. Not trusting soviets which he heartily disliked he decided to move polish troops and refugees (don't forget that about 1,5 million pre-WWII polish citizens were deported to SU) to Persia. There he created and commanded polish 2nd Corp which was put into action in Italy and captured Montes Cassisno.
After communist regime was established in Poland he stayed in political exile in England. He died in 60s and is buried on polish military cementary on Monte Cassino. Till his death he stayed die-hard anticommunist.
That is why, unfortunately, you cannot contact him personally. :wink:

Morden
Morden
Supporter

Post by Morden »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 26-5763301

This is Russian Volunteers in Hitler's Army, 1941-1945 by Wladyslaw Anders.
60 pages
Publisher: Axis Europa Magazine;
ISBN: 1891227017

Morden
Eestlane

Vlassov

Post by Eestlane »

There is quite a lot of detail in a book called Victims of Yalta by Tolstoy. It goes into quite a lot of depth with regard to the movement of Vlassov's forces, their ultimate betrayal and the fate of the man himself. His son who was also handed over at the time did in fact survive and wrote a book called 'Hidden Russia' about the events. It was published in English in New York in (I think) 1974. - I'll see if I can find the name of the publisher for you as I would like to read it myself. The son was assassinated by the KGB some time after publication.

Eestlane
viclip

[i]Hidden Russia[/i]

Post by viclip »

This book in question was published in 1960, having been authored by Nikolai Krasnov Jr., grandson of Cossack General Peter N. Krasnov, not by any relative of Vlasov. The old General was a famous anti-Bolshevist who fought the Reds during the Russian Civil War. The grandfather, his son & the author of Hidden Russia as well as an uncle, were all turned over to the Soviets by the English following the cessation of hostilities in 1945, as the family had continued their fight against the communists albeit under German command. As far as I know, the Krasnov Cossack detachment was never part of Vlasov's ROA movement. In any event, the book makes fascinating reading & I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the White emigre &/or volunteer movement during WW 2. Mostly Hidden Russia deals with the grandson's stint in the Gulag, where he bumped into various anti-Soviet prisoners as well. The book is difficult to find, I got my copy at: http://www.abebooks.com. Only the grandson survived the handover to the Soviets, until his untimely demise in Argentia shortly after penning his memoirs.
Eestlane

Hidden Russia

Post by Eestlane »

Thanks, You are of course 100% correct. I didn't have time to double check as my copy of Victims of Yalta is on loan to somebody else and was (unusually) responding totally from memory. - Must be my age!

Eestlane
thecanucker

Post by thecanucker »

THanks for the tip guys, I'll add that to the ever increasing reading list. Has anyone found any details about Vlassov and the ROA that "Against Stalin and Hitler" didn't cover? A lot of the journal articles and books I've read so far don't offer much in terms of new research of different angles, it seems the same research has been written over and over again.
Cheers,
thecanucker
viclip

Vlasov

Post by viclip »

Ukrainian freedom fighter General Pavlo Shandruk met with Vlasov late in the war & provides an account of the meeting in his memoirs, as well as an important perspective of the ROA movement through the eyes of a non-Russian. Those memoirs are quite fascinating & cover his involvement in WW 1, the ensuing Russian Civil War & the quest for Ukrainian independence from the Soviets as well as the Poles, his escapades during WW 2 etc. Shandruk's brother incidentally served in the 14th SS "Galicia" division & was killed at Brody. At any rate, Shandruk's autobiography was published in the 1950s in English as Arms of Valor. Long out of print, I'd again refer all to a service such as that offered by http://abebooks.com.