'Hungarian Fighter Colours (1930-1945)', Vol. 2

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Leo Niehorster
Author

'Hungarian Fighter Colours (1930-1945)', Vol. 2

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Dénes Bernard and György Punka
"Hungarian Fighter Colors, 1930–1945"
Vol. 2
Stratus, Sandomierz, Poland, 2014.
ISBN: 978-83-63678-21-0

Publisher's page: http://stratusbooks.com.pl/str/books.php?book_id=231

Pages 191–396; Vol. 2 covers the Heinkel He 112B-1/U2 (E); Avia B.534-IV; P.Z.L. P.11a; Re.2000 Héjja/Héjja-O; Weiss-Manfréd WM-23 “Ezüst nyíl”; Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, Ga-4, G-6, Ga-6, G-10, G-14, Ga-14; Messerschmitt Me 210Ca-1 (night fighter and heavy fighter/’bomber killer’); Messerschmitt Bf 110F-4, G-4; Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-4, F-3, F-8, G-8, in Hungarian service.

Yet another great work on the Hungarian fighters of World War II, carrying on the already established quality in Vol. 1.

I have never been one for photographs, especially ones that have a bare title (if at all), such as "Allied airplane", or "Hungarian pilot". This is far from the case in Volume 2 (or Vol. 1, for that matter). The extensive captions for all the photographs are a joy to read.

Amongst others, Vol. 2 deals with my favorite Hungarian-built aircraft, the Me-210Ca-1, one that I have found fascination since I first started becoming interested in the Hungarian air forces. It's not a war-winning day fighter by any means, and appears to have even been of dubious value as a night fighter. It's rewarding to read about the use and actions of this airplane.

As in Vol. 1, the appendix in Vol. 2 again holds gold. This time in the form of a listing of Hungarian air victories. The intro to this section lists Gyula Gaál, Gyula Sárhidai, and György Punka, with Dénes Bernád as the annotator and editor. These names are synonymous for expertise on all matters Hungarian and aeronautical.

If you are into Hungarian aircraft, or just like reading about WWII fighters, this volume is definitely worth the price. Recommended.

I certainly look forward the the books dealing with the Hungarian bombers and recon aircraft. (Hint, hint.) :wink:
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces