WW2 related museums/sights in Wien ?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Quasimodo

WW2 related museums/sights in Wien ?

Post by Quasimodo »

Hello,

We like to plan our holiday this year in Wien.
Do you know some good WWII museums or places to see ?

Thanks for your help.

Quasimodo
Paulus II
Patron

Re: WW2 related museums/sights in Wien ?

Post by Paulus II »

Hi Quasimodo,

"Do you know some good WWII museums or places to see?"

Hmm.......not exactly but when I visited Wien three years ago I did find it interesting that in the Zoo (very much worth a visit in its own right!) there are still some bombcraters from an Allied bombingraid on the city.
And just outside the city there is an old mine that claims to have the largest underground lake in Europe (or the world?), it is a bit of a touristtrap but in that same mine He-162 Volksjäger were built very late in the war and there is a very small and dusty exhibit about that in the mine. Frankly it is barely worth a visit but just in case you may be interested.....

best regards,

Paul
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

I did some research/inquiry into Flak Towers online a while back, and learned Vienna still has some, and I believe also some bomb shelters.
I do not know for sure if the 3 triangulated towers are remaining--my niece was there not long ago, and says one houses an aquarium. Unfortunately I did not bookmark the sites.

-Landserstudent
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

Hello,

Thanks both for your feedback.

I had to postpone our trip to Vienna. (I found not enough information, what/where to see)
Maybe in 2 years ?
Insteat we went to the island Sylt and the island Helgoland. (Lange Anna is beautiful)
Very nice. (for those who like it)

In sylt all the German bunkers are removed.
But I'm sure that there are still some under the sand.
In the dunes from Westerland, you can see the grey concrete roof from some big ones with some antenna's in the environement.
I will try to post some pictures.

Cheers,

Quasimodo
new daddy

Post by new daddy »

You'll want to visit here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... ienna.html

It's general military history, but it does have a nice WWII section. There is also a park, I can't remember the name of that has Flak Towers in place.

Be sure to visit the Vineyards just outside of the city (on the last tram stop). That was my favorite part of the trip.