Belgorod-Khar'kov Operation Sov OB

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Sean Oliver
Supporter

Belgorod-Khar'kov Operation Sov OB

Post by Sean Oliver »

Can anyone provide the Order-of-Battle for Voronezh Front,Steppe Front,and Stavka Reserves on August 1,1943? I have a short/incomplete OB w/Rifle Divs,etc.(Glantz)but I really need all of the support units (Artillery,Engineers,Etc)also.I would like to see the OB given in "Boevoi Sostav Sovetskoi Armii", but don't have it,of course. I'm also looking for 1.Ukrainian Front OB,Nov.1,1943 & Dec.1,1943.(Kiev-Zhitomir)Please Help,Thank You,Sean.
donwhite
Contributor

Soviet OB's

Post by donwhite »

Sean,
I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a Soviet OB for July 1st '43 (From the book 'Kursk 1943' by Zetterling & Frankson) which is sourced from
Boevoy Sostav Sovetskoy Armii , chast III. Also for 1st UK Front I have an OB for the 1st Jan'44 from the same source (at the moment I have only acquired 'Boevoy Sostav Sovetskoy Armii' for theyears 1944-45). I do have a 'Board Game OB' for Nov & dec '43 but not all support units are shown. If your interested let me know and I'll post it or email what I have to you.

Cheers
Sean Oliver
Supporter

Post by Sean Oliver »

Thanks for the offer,but I already have all those including the game "Bold Stroke" which covers the Kiev Operation. The Soviets made some major changes in structure after the German attacks ,which invalidates any OB from July. How did you aquire the "BSSA"? I've been trying to get the entire series through interlibrary loan,without success...
Sean Oliver
Supporter

PS to Donwhite

Post by Sean Oliver »

If there's any info your looking for on Eastern Front operations, let me know, I just might have it. Have you checked out all of the Russian WW2 sites? Incredible amount of data,esp. 1941...
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

Sean

I have the entire set of BSSA. Email me maybe we can exchange some info if you have any archival German records for the same August time frame.

[email protected]

Michael Avanzini
donwhite
Contributor

Boevoy Sostav Soevtskoy Armii

Post by donwhite »

Sean,
I purchased the last two volumes on mircofiche through 'Eastview Publications'. They have a web site detailing whats available and at what prices. When I made my purchase they worked out at about US$50.00 per volume or US$250 for the whole set. Considering whats detailed on them, I think they are great value. The only hassle is you need a microfiche reader to access the info. Fortuantly I picked up a 2nd hand one fairly cheap. At the moment I'm chasing anything OB related on the
East Prussian operation in Jan'45 for the Germans. Division level details are not to hard to track down but I'm yet to find anything with the detail on the German OB that is the equal of Boevoy Sostav.
Cheers
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hey Sean!

I would like to help but you probably have more info than me! I have the OOB for the Soviet Operation "Rumyantsev" from the book Decision In The Ukraine by Nipe. Unfortunately, it only shows the Armies and how many divisions they had. Not very detailed. :(

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Sean Oliver
Supporter

Post by Sean Oliver »

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply. I have all of the sources mentioned, EXCEPT the all-important "BSSA" vol 1-5, which is apparently the only authoritative OB for the Red Army. Does anybody know if Charles Sharp consulted/referenced the "BSSA" for his publications? Personnaly, I'm appalled at the $200.00 Eastview Publications is asking for a CD-ROM of the "BSSA"...The books are not that rare, are they? Anyone could track down copies from inter-library loan, and photocopy them for a few dollars.I have been hoping to get them this way,but that was 2 months ago,I'm still waiting...
Jason Long
Contributor

Charles Sharp's Soviet OB books

Post by Jason Long »

I'm fairly certain that Charles Sharp began to receive the BSSA during the writing of his Soviet OB books. I believe that he's updated the material in the books as they've been reprinted although I'm not entirely certain of that. Unfortunately Nafziger hasn't noted any revisions at all, if any.

Jason