Looking for information on an uncle who served

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

mapleleaf

Looking for information on an uncle who served

Post by mapleleaf »

Happy New Year to All!

I am new to your forum but am fascinated with all the great information and resource you are to each other and the online community.
This forum stuff is new to me... and I am in some trepidation that I am placing my query in the correct topic area - please tip me if I could do this better! :wink:

I am fluent in German and English if this is of help. Of course the complexity of WW2 research online makes doing this in German difficult for me- I am not that good!

so here goes...
This is related to the genealogy work :[] I am doing about an Uncle who was taken into training by the Germans in May 1944 as a 13 year old. Christmas 1944 was the last time he saw his Mother as after Christmas in the Warthegau he had to return to the camp and his group marched out to Strasbourg. He was in the antitank infantry - apparently attaching magnetic charges working out of panzergraben. He is elderly & can’t recall any details of this trauma - he becomes ill. :( Apparently there were at least 75-80 boys in his squad. When there were only 20 boys left, the person in command found them some farms to hide and work at in Schleswig-Holstein in a place called Gnutz and told them to wait out the end of the war. Two of the boys did. He came to Canada as a DP in Nov 1948. He eventually heard that his mother and sister were repatriated to the USSR against their wishes. He never saw them again. :(
He recalls the training place was at a “Gut” near a village “Phaldorf” or “Faldorf” several hours journey from where his Mother was in the Posen area.
1. Would anyone be able to confirm that the H 3H is what is being referred to - does it make sense? Is this consistent with NS practices with boys? Is the report below from T & TT a reliable description of what my Uncle was chosen to be involved in?
2. Would anyone be able to make an estimate as to which battalion or group he may have been part of?
3. Would anyone recognize any of the places that he trained, fought or worked to provide more detail?
Cheers,
Helen
Haftholladung 3H
Magnetic hollow antitank charge, issued in the Autumn of 42. The mine was placed on the turrets of tanks in close combat. Ignition was performed by pulling the ignitor on top of the mine. It penetrated armor up to 14cm thick, and made a hole 3-5 cm in diameter. With their explosive charge and shock effects it was deadly.

The following military report on German WWII tank hunting tactics is reproduced from Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 29, July 15, 1943.
The following information on the employment of magnetic mines by German infantry antitank squads has come from a credible German source. Six men are assigned as an antitank team, generally for night operations in positions offering possible avenues of tank approach. The team is deployed in the form of a U at intervals of approximately 50 yards, adapting itself to the terrain for observation and field of fire. All men are armed with machine pistols and antitank, magnetic hollow-charges. The team leader, No. 4, carries a pyrotechnic pistol. In addition, four Tellermines are carried for placing in the probable path of the tank and are controlled by a 50-yard length of wire by which they can be pulled under the approaching tank.

When a tank comes on, the team leader fires a pyrotechnic charge directly at the turret of the tank and momentarily blinds the crew. At the same time Nos. 3 and 5 pull Tellermines into its path, and No. 2 rushes forward to place the magnetic charge on the side armor plate of the tank. Meanwhile, No. 4 covers the turret-hatch to prevent the escape of the crew; Nos. 1 and 6 cover the ground behind the tank for possible infantry accompanying it. Each man is interchangeable with the others of the team and his duties are determined by the terrain.

Granite

Re: Looking for information on an uncle who served

Post by Granite »

Hello and welcome, read your post and found it interesting. I also came to this site for research on my family and to put some facts to the stories i heard growing up.
I am sorry i cant give you specific answers to your questions, i am a little out of my depth on this forum and ww2 in general, but stick with it, when you do find some answers it is very rewarding. What our families survived and their journeys deserves to be remembered.

My dad and grandmother came to Canada as dps in 48 as well, dont have the papers in front of me at the moment, so i dont recall the date, but the ship they crossed on was the Aquatania, any chance they were shipmates?
What part of Russia was your family from? Mine was from the Ukraine{ Mennonites }. I have read an uncles account of fleeing Russia as a 16 year old, only to be drafted by the Germans late in the war, by luck or chance he survived. Your Uncle was very young but the story was very similar to a few accounts i have read of young refugee kids thrown into makeshift units. Sometimes they could be replacements for regular units, other times Hitler youth units. While some records exist for regular army replacements, i dont know what kinds of records or where to look for Hitler youth type units,i would think very little exists. Many young people were encouraged to enter in the Hitler youth, at first it was a youth group similar to boy or girl scouts with sports, hiking and other activities. Unfortunately late in the war many boys were hastily trained with shovels then weapons and some thrown into battle. I have read of some German officers trying to keep these units away from action and also some like your uncles, were not so fortunate.

regards Richard
mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf »

Granite wrote: What our families survived and their journeys deserves to be remembered....
My dad and grandmother came to Canada as dps in 48 as well, dont have the papers in front of me at the moment, so i dont recall the date, but the ship they crossed on was the Aquatania, any chance they were shipmates?
What part of Russia was your family from? Mine was from the Ukraine{ Mennonites }. I have read an uncles account of fleeing Russia as a 16 year old, only to be drafted by the Germans late in the war, by luck or chance he survived. ...
regards Richard
Hi,
They did not come on the same ship - my Mother was among a few that flew. My Uncle was on a ship but I don't know which one. Have you located the EWZ microfiche records of your family? My family is from the Sagradovka Colony in South Russia (Ukraine). We are probably cousins.... :wink: :D :wink:
Helen
Granite

Post by Granite »

Hello, I am not familiar with the EWZ records, what sort of information is on file and how do i get access to it ?

My grandmother was from Halbstadt in the Molotschna colony, Zagradovka colony was a offshoot colony from the Molotschna , established in 1871 approx. 100 km northeast of Kherson and 50 km south of the city of Krivoy Rog. Cousins.. :shock: :D :wink: do you have an uncle Korny :wink:
Richard
mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf »

Granite wrote:Hello, I am not familiar with the EWZ records, what sort of information is on file and how do i get access to it ?

My grandmother was from Halbstadt in the Molotschna colony, Zagradovka colony was a offshoot colony from the Molotschna , established in 1871 approx. 100 km northeast of Kherson and 50 km south of the city of Krivoy Rog. Cousins.. :shock: :D :wink: do you have an uncle Korny :wink:
Richard

:D :wink: Nope, no Uncle Korny :D :wink:
The EWZ microfiches are part of the Captured German Documents with village lists, and registration records as Russian Germans were naturalized as German citizens. There are copies of the microfiche at several provincial Mennonite historical societies. Depending on where you live, you can either make a visit to a society or request they send you copies. If you are not familiar with GRANDMA, you may wish to check that out. EWZ has birthdates of individuals and their parents grandparents etc. Some have written life stories that are very interesting and document details of Stalin's genocide. One also obtains information about their journey - I am trying to plot geographically, my Mother's journey to Canada, from the Ukraine, through Poland, then Germany during the chaos of WW2.
http://www.mhsbc.com/
http://www.mennonites.ca/russia.html
http://www.mennonites.ca
Hope that helps! 8)
Helen
Granite

Post by Granite »

Thank you for the links, i will visit my local Mennonite historical society. I have a good knowledge on the families movements and history. luckily my brother taped my grandmothers story from 1917 to 1937 approx. Unfortunately we never did get her story from 37 to 48 taped , so we have only her oral stories from this time and there were a lot. Like yourself i am also trying to document her and my dads travels. If you do not already have this book i recommend (Building on the past, Mennonite architecture, landscape and settlements in Russia/Ukraine) author is Rudy P Friesen, a must have for your research.

Trying to stay somewhat on topic in regards to your uncles story, records could exist in the town he was living in when he was recruited, church or town hall maybe have some info.
Richard
mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf »

Thanks for the tip.
Good luck on your research :D