Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

True John, in all statements. I made so many copies I threw away my clothes to fit the paper material in my suitcases, material I've used and still do today.

The holdings were an odd mix, early, mid and late war. Various units and topics. One folder was all the congratulation letters and telegrams to Heinz Harmel for his award of the Oakleaves. I had hoped to find the still missing regimental KTBs (and later divisional KTBs) for various elements of Das Reich but they wern't there, though other misc 2SS material was available. I'm convinced, if not destroyed, some of those KTBs reside somewhere in the former USSR.
KG voss
Supporter

Post by KG voss »

Pff.. Very impressive ! :up:
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

I am the proud owner of all of Mark's books detailed above plus one more. That is the monograph Mark did back in 1986, titled 'SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer und Generaloberst der Waffen-SS PAUL HAUSSER 1880 - 1972'. I obtained it via Fedorowicz over 20 years ago and I think it was, correct me if I'm wrong, the first thing they ever published. A couple of comments Mark makes in his foreward is something I have always 100% agreed with: "War is man's most illogical and unproductive pursuit. However, during times of conflict, achievements by men of magnificent proportions do occur. It is impossible for any illogical and intelligent human being not to admire these events, regardless of time period or country of origin" I don't think Mark has ever waivered with these opinions in his books.

There are so many books written about the weapons, big battles of war and the political/military leaders, however relatively very little is written about the men at the lower unit level (excluding Jochen Peiper and some fighter-aces). Mark is the only researcher that does that and he does it exceptionally very well. I can't wait for the future volumes of German-Cross Holders and I'm still hoping that one day Mark will continue with future volumes of his outstanding 'Knights of Steel' series. NB: Florian Berger's book 'The Face of Courage' and John Moore's book 'Signal Officers of he W-SS' have been able to match Mark's books.

To conclude Mark's books are usually 4 times more expensive than books by the likes of Rupert Butler, Gordon Williamson, Bruce Quarrie, etc. but they are, in my opinion, 10 times better. Simply put: You get what you pay for. You're not going to be able to buy a Rolls-Royce for the same price as a mountain-bike.

Regards,
Peter Melbourne, australia
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Dear Peter

Thanks so much for the support and kind comments, makes all the work worthwhile. Most of the element commanders and formation leaders are gone now. That quote from the Hausser bio still stands, my admiration for many for the lives they led after the war has added to my opinion of them. Some were among the closest friends I've had while respecting them the most. Looking past a generation or social difference requires a lot of a person, most doing that and more in dealing with me. A fellow resident of Australia, Hugh Page Taylor, wrote the foreword for one of the upcoming German Cross volumes.

Best,
Mark
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Mark - Your "Knights of Steel" Vol 1 covered the Panzer Rgt., Artillery Rgt, and Division Staff of "Das Reich" and was published in 1989. Could you please give some detailed background information about when you began your research for that book and your research methodology? How did that research support your future publications?

John
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

When I started I had no contact with others interested in the topic, no Internet or computer, working with a typewriter. Also nobody to ask where or how to start. I got the basic archive records groups from Stein’s “The Waffen-SS” footnotes and ordered catalogs from the National Archives (then in paper form). I then went to downtown Washington (College Park didn’t exist) for 3 days to view and order film, rolls were then under $20. I got all the “Das Reich” related film I could find, all Dienstalterliste, and promotion issues. The KTBs and Weidinger’s volumes often gave only a last name and used the initial material to match those stated in Weidinger’s divisional history as a start. Also bought negatives from DC and the Bundesarchiv that matched the PK photographers listed in Weidinger’s Bildband. Berlin Document Center was then restricted and I was refused access as not being a “bona fide scholar,” but was given access after being interviewed by two Congressmen to whom I proved actual knowledge and intent. Starting to order Personalakte, several thousand pages at a time, I taught myself to determine what documents were correct or not, sometimes 5-6 sheets giving different data for the same fact.

After a couple years of compiling material, eventually today six 5 drawer filing cabinets of folders on individuals and units, I contacted Otto Weidinger with a multi-page letter. Stating no political interest, my job, background, purpose, what I wanted to do, and requested permission to write. Other than a small number of requests for a signed photo, he had no prior contact with anyone from the US. He replied it was acceptable to write, but my goal was considered impossible. Only superficial books existed on KC holders, a partial name list of German Cross winners, and no bios of senior commanders existed at that time. I wanted to write complete bios of all award winners with recommendation texts, also element leaders and development of components created as an addendum to his 5 volumes operational text. I gave Weidinger his Vorschlagsliste, which he hadn’t seen and nobody else bothered to give him. I returned the money he then sent for the copies, feeling they were his and I wanted nothing for doing something right. That was untypical of his generations view of Americans whom they considered only doing something for money.

I used KTBs, wound/KIA reports, Weidinger's volumes, DAL, and other data to create the first commander and staff lists. The division had no archive and authors for Munin were given what the Bundesarchiv had to do their books as a free contribution (no royalty). Once I’d proven my sincerity and determination, Weidinger began giving me contact with others. Staff, element commanders, etc who tried to recall who they replaced or anything else to find pieces of the puzzle. For over 5 years I averaged over 800 postal letters a year, some men having letters written home that survived or diaries correcting the data in their BDC files as to actual dates, assignments, etc. Folders were created for each man’s correspondence and it was a lot to keep track of regards what asked who, etc. Weidinger’s file folders have over 400 multi page letters, obviously we became very close. I found commanders nobody then living remembered or saw, photos of many, etc. I shared everything with them. Karl Kreutz turned over all his notes which I added to in volume and returned on his unit (artillery). Ia, IIa, and Ic officers and I compared notes and lists for the staff over a LONG time. Hermann Buch, son of Obergruppenführer Walter Buch, had written a history of the Krads Btl that I added to so much he rewrote it. They brought me to Germany for the “Der Führer” reunion, taking piles of photos and data they hadn’t seen and began more exchanges to ID men in photos, add dates, share personal material, Xeroxes, etc. It expanded to all units and among those I was introduced were more than a dozen divisional commanders, more than 100 KC holders, and hundreds of lower commanders, GC holders, etc.

Weidinger was a successful businessman postwar, I wrote his biography during this time and gave him the manuscript simply as a birthday gift since I couldn’t think of any store bought item he would need or want but not already have. It was later published. I later did Otto Kumm’s for the same reason and eventually Ernst Krag’s was published. I wanted to do individual biographies of 2 other close friends too, Otto Baum and Hans Kempin. The full data I had could not fill a book alone so I did the two “Waffen-SS Commanders” volumes simply to be able to record them. “Knights of Steel,” “Waffen-SS Commanders,” and the two recent German Cross in Gold holder books on “Das Reich are, in combination with Weidinger’s volumes, the most complete data on the men and operations of an SS division I’m aware of. Weidinger and Kumm recommended me for the HIAG Ehrennadel in Gold for research of their unit simply for the pure concept of wanting to know about them and record them for posterity. I attended the next “Der Führer” reunion after Weidinger passed away, Otto Kumm read from my biography of Weidinger at the eulogy. I still stay in contact with Weidinger’s widow, and still research for the same reasons and goals. The current German Cross books are they only books done to date detailing those award winners, the amount of data recorded for them far exceeding the more written about KC holders. Many of them are included as they won both awards. In looking back, I was to naive to see the scope of the undertaking or the time and needed effort involved, but as long as it was accomplished that’s all that matters. I was also able to assist with other Waffen-SS veteran projects including the history of the "Leibstandarte" and "Totenkopf." The format I created for “Knights” has proven popular with later authors. I gave Weidinger my word in my initial letter that I’d accomplish what I said and have done that. He was and still is my motivation.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Your background details to your research are simply outstanding Mark. Thank you for sharing this very valuable insight to your work and to your inspirations.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

That was an awesome report Mark and I learned a few new things, despite our friendship of some 20 years. The human dimension adds so much to a book and what you have accomplished simply can`t be matched, especially since so much of your subject matter is no longer alive to be interviewed or for an author to gain a sense of their individual personalities. Also, I must confess to modeling the layout of my signals book on the style that Mark had used in "Knights.."

John
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

from left Heinz Macher (Oakleaves), Frau Harmel, and Heinz Harmel (Swords) at one of the "Der Führer" reunions I attended.

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Sepp Lainer (Knight's Cross and Close Combat Clasp in Gold, left) with Walter Reder at another DF reunion I attended. At Weidinger's funeral, Lainer carried the funeral pillow displaying his awards. Sepp loved the albums I took to the reunions and seemed to be everywhere showing everyone. It was a grand time.

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Sylvester Stadler (left, Swords holder) and Ernst August Krag (Oakleaves) at the first DF Treffen I attended. It was rather intense for me to travel overseas for the first time alone and sit at the main table with Stadler, Kumm, Weidinger, Baum, Kreutz, Hausser, and others. Harmel was also their that year and Oakleaves holder Karl Ullrich also visited. Krag and I became very close friends and stayed in constant contact until his death. Outside the evening meetings were numerous individual lunches and walks. Best was coffe with Kumm, Weidinger, and Hans Kempin (school commander and 32SS commander) who was vacationing nearby. Weidinger and Kempin were members of a Junkerschule association of early graduates. I provided them with lists of all the prewar graduates for their reunion, something they didn't have, and was told it caused fond discussions of many classmates they'd forgotten or later knew without knowing they attended Junkerschule.

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Karl Kreutz (Oakleaves and both Artillerie Regiment and divisional commander) with his wife. Always happy and energetic, Kreutz helped with me contacting dozens of artillery veterans.

pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Mark,

I cannot express enough how wonderful these photos and contributions of yours are. Thanks for sharing.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I've only had my hands on one of Mark's books, through the interlibrary loan system. It was his book on the DKiS winners. It helped me with my Nord research by providing some interesting material.

Just give me a weekend in his study, with a scanner.... :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

I hope you get your hands on more of Mr. Yerger's titles, and soon, Tom. It was a pivotal moment when, in 1997, I defied my wife and shelled out $49.95 for Allgemeine-SS. I'd been studying the SS for sixteen years at that point, but that one book propelled my interest and knowledge forward to an incalculable degree. It's in tatters now, as are Waffen-SS Commanders, Volumes I & II, but thanks to a very dear friend I now have beautiful, mint condition replacements for them (they stay on the shelf- I still use my original copies when I need the tons of info. stored therein).

Mark Yerger has been my [oops- can't say Guru! :D - that would be "Romancing the Runes" ]-- the greatest inspiration in my own fledgling "career" as a researcher/author. I haven't always heeded his sage advice, but I have nonetheless gained a great deal from him over the past decade.

Sincerest thanks for everything, Mark.

Best wishes,
~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian