IX Korps Jan. 1945

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Richard Murphy
Supporter

IX Korps Jan. 1945

Post by Richard Murphy »

Does anyone know which units (Divisions and Korpstruppen) were under Wuthmann's command when the Soviets launched their major offensive in January 1945?

Also, would someone mind confirming which Army and Armeegruppe they were under at this time?

Regards from the Park,

Rich
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

The Kriegsgliderung I have for Jan 21, 1945 lists the following units for the IX:

561.Volks.Gren.Div, 548.Volks.Gren.Div, 551.Volks.Gren.Div, and the 286.Inf.Div.

At the time it was under the 3.Pz.Armee/Heeresgruppe Mitte.

The Jan 26, 1945 Kriegsgliderung lists the IX as having the same units as above, but the 3.Pz.Armee is now shown under Heeresgruppe Nord, not Mitte.

The Feb 1, 1945 Kriegsgliderung shows the same as above, only with far fewer units, only the Stab 548.VGD, 286.ID, and 551.VGD.
Richard Murphy
Supporter

Post by Richard Murphy »

Thank you Jason.

Of course, H. Gr. Mitte was retitled Nord when the units isolated in the Courland peninsular (Which had previously used this designation.) were retitled Kurland.

Regards from the Park,

Rich
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Yes, yes, of course... :oops: :wink: It's early (when I'm up till 2am that is) and I'm about to go take a much needed break from the site and try and find some Fall colors in the Eastern Sierra Mountains. My mind wasn't fully functioning! hehe.

Have a good weekend, I'll see you all when I get back late Sunday night.
Richard Murphy
Supporter

Post by Richard Murphy »

I'm quiet jealous!

Enjoy the hiking and the scenery (Sorry, there's no Emoticon for "drool" that I know of!).

Regards from the Park,

Rich