The Star to the Grand Cross of The Iron Cross

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Dietrich Maerz
Author

The Star to the Grand Cross of The Iron Cross

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

During the research for my book I was also lucky enough to get the permissions to visit the West Point Museum behind the scenes. I had ample opportunity to measure, photograph, scan and document such rare awards as the German Cross in Gold with Diamonds, the Sepp Dietrich Sword Document, the special grade to the Social Welfare Medal and also - and that was the main reason for going - on of the two knows prototypes of the Star to the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross.

Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

The statutes of the Order of the Iron Cross were never amended to reflect the possible highest level of this order. Nevertheless, prototypes were manufactured and submitted to the Präsidialkanzlei for approval.

This example here is housed in a red presentation case and the this fact, together with the quality of the award, leads me to believe that this was the medal that was intended to be awarded - if the need ever came up.

This and the other prototype was found in the Schloss Klessheim, the last station of the stock of the Präsidialkanzlei on its way south to the Alpenfestung.

The EK1 on top of the star is made by Godet/Zimmermann and it is very reasonable to conclude from that fact that the Star itself was also done by the very esteemed Berlin company - the traditional supplier of the oaks, the swords and even the first type of the diamonds.

The first intended recipient for Star - so one can assume- was most likely (at least at the time the prototypes were made) Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring. In the tradition of the earlier versions for a war deciding battle or such .... but it did not happen.

Dietrich
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Göring lost the Battle of Britain...
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

...and the North Africa air bridge, and the Stalingrad air bridge etc. etc. ...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

Sure, but when the first prototype was manufactured and the design approved the war might not even have started. Thats what I meant.

I cannot send pictures right now but I will post the other prototype. This one has a EK1 prototype on it with the dimensions 40 x 40 mm, i.e. smaller than the later official version.
Alex Dekker
Associate

Re: The Star to the Grand Cross of The Iron Cross

Post by Alex Dekker »

I think you were very lucky! Nice pics, thanks a lot for sharing.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Brandenburger7

Re: The Star to the Grand Cross of The Iron Cross

Post by Brandenburger7 »

Whats your book called Dietrich?
Today Europe. Tomorrow the World. - Adolf Hitler