The Grand Cross of the Iron Cross

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Dietrich Maerz
Author

The Grand Cross of the Iron Cross

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

This special grade of the order of the Iron Cross was only awarded one during the period of the Third Reich. The ceremony took par during the so called 3. Historical Meeting of the Reichstag on 17. July 1940 and the awardee was - of course - Hermann Göring.

The fact that this grade of the order was only awarded once leads some people to believe that only one should exist. But apart form the fact that Göring for sure had several examples, even more that that were in circulation.

It can be said with absolute confidence that the actual awarded piece was made by Juncker and was marked only with the silver content "800". However, quite a fe examples exist with the LDO code stamping L/12 for Juncker. These examples were of the same quality as the 'regular' piece and were used as shop displays (there is the misconception in the collector world that there was a difference between shop examples and 'real' medals. This is not true in most of the cases, however).

After the prohibition of private sales the majority of theses shop examples arrived at the Präsidialkanzlei and were stored there. Soem were supplied to Museums and some were sold to collectors during the Third Reich. The reminder ended up at Schloss Klessheim and form there via US-veterans into todays collections.

Only C.E. Juncker was licensed to produce the official version of the Großkreuz. As all other medals, the Grand Cross has certain fingeprints that allow an easy and unmistakable identification as such.

Dietrich

Last edited by Dietrich Maerz on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

How nice to see you here! We are waiting for your book in France. All comments on it are very encouraging. Good post about the GK. Of course, we should not forget the onyx-centered, platinum-framed 'specials' we keep seeing on various auction websites, housed in their special silver boxes and attributed to the Reichsmarschall!

The GK had its own 50mm ribbon too, didn't it?

PK
Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

The Grand Cross came with its own ribbon and its own case. The ribbon was 60 mm wide on the examples I examined. I am not aware of a 50 mm ribbon. Judging by the nice fit of this 60 mm ribbon into the red presentation case I'm sure that was the standard issue (if one can speak about a standard issue in connection with this award anyway).

I would not list here nor have I in the book listed any examples of any order or medal of which I don not have a very high level of confidence in regards to being genuine. The onyx examples might be right, but maybe not. Even if I would have had pictures, I would not have included it since it would not have been an example of an official sanctioned and awarded order - but rather a private made example.

A recent publications shows the gold rimmed GC - unfortunately the cross is not a Juncker made example. Other books show myriads of so called "jewelers copies" ... this is just confusing, to say the least.

Dietrich

PS: I have no idea why the pictures doesn't show and I will not spend another 30 minutes to find it out. I'm terribly sorry about that.
Last edited by Dietrich Maerz on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Sorry! Typing error! I meant 60mm! Regarding "jewellers' copies", the only ones we know of from period accounts are the two crosses the arch-snob Göring had made - in complete contravention of any standard Dr Doehle & Co wished to apply - but any non-Juncker crosses produced by firms making other grades of the 1939 Iron Cross would have been produced before the 1941 crackdown and could not be described as "jewellers' copies". Like pre-1941 examples of the RK and EK made from non-regulation metals, for instance, they would be "real" in the sense of being unofficial retails pieces from the period but not "real" in terms of being officially-approved. As the 1939 GK was awarded once, it's an academic point because the examples awarded to Göring and obtained as extras by the Reichsmarschall to keep in his various homes and lodgings would in all likelihood not have been LDO-marked. The LDO-marked crosses by Juncker would, as you say, have been supplied to a few retail outlets and museums as show pieces or for collectors. Then the LDO cracked down and took all the higher grades of the EK into "custody", leaving a few in private/commercial hands for display purposes.

PK
Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

Paddy Keating wrote:... but any non-Juncker crosses produced by firms making other grades of the 1939 Iron Cross would have been produced before the 1941 crackdown and could not be described as "jewellers' copies". Like pre-1941 examples of the RK and EK made from non-regulation metals, for instance, they would be "real" in the sense of being unofficial retails pieces from the period but not "real" in terms of being officially-approved.
That is not what I meant. What certain people describe a 'jeweler copies' is IMHO a better word for 'fake"...

There is in nearly 99% of all cases a direct connection (at least for the order of the Iron Cross) between the pre-LDO models and the post LDO ones. I am not aware of any manufacturer of the RK who changed the die after the LDO regulations. Material, yes - but not the die. And only one previously legitimate manufacturer disappeared (actually two) after the LDO introduction: the 3/4 ring (most likely Deumer). All others kept their dies. Godet changed the oaks die once but that was long after the LDO introduction and nearly 50% of all awarded pieces are LDO-marked and I found only one with no maker marking at all - but clearly a Godet 1st Type.

The same applies for the EK in nearly all cases.

Jeweler copies are pieces that cannot be traced (before or after the LDO) to any company, licensed or not, and to any legitimate recipient. And that in itself is not what I would consider genuine. It might have been produced during the time frame, but that is all.

Dietrich
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Dietrich, if you send me via email the pics you want to use I can host them for you until we figure out the problem. Let me know. We really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the info and pics!!
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I know what you meant. I was simply adding a point. Yes, indeed, when one discusses "jewellers' copies" in the context of the 1939 Iron Cross, particularly the higher grades, people like us take it as read that we are talking about fakes whereas all sorts of eBay scoundrels, dreamers and atmosphere whistlers use the term to try to legitimise questionable pieces. The very rare exceptions to the rule are the Göring onyx-centred GKs - said to have been destroyed in an air raid - and, for example, the Oakleaves commissioned by Richard Heidrich in Italy. Plus, perhaps, the Japanese crosses.

PK
Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

Jason Pipes wrote:Dietrich, if you send me via email the pics you want to use I can host them for you until we figure out the problem. Let me know. We really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the info and pics!!

I did send you several pictures.

Dietrich
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Hermann Göring wearing his GK, RK and PLM. The GK clearly conforms to the appearance of known originals by C E Juncker of Berlin. Note how the ring dips into the frame.

An alleged onyx-cored GK. Some sources have suggested that this is a wartime image but I have seen no proof of this. It does at least resemble what one would expect of such an item, based on known, original Imperial-era "Iron Crosses" with centres fashioned from precious or semi-precious stone by jewellers for wealthy clients. He is known to have commissioned two such crosses from his jeweller and they are said to have been destroyed when Carinhall was bombed.

A framed presentation photo-portrait of Göring. This image has sometimes been cited as proof of the existence of the onyx-cored GK and one can see why. However, the flat, engraved appearance of the core is probably due to studio retouching to bring out various highlights.

As far as the definition of "official" awards is concerned, one could dismiss any LDO-marked award from the Third Reich era as "unofficial" in that these were supplied for retail purposes. In the case of the Ritterkreuz and its "add-ons", LDO-marked examples were confiscated after the 1941 crackdown and some are known to have been awarded to recipients. But one could argue convincingly that they are really just authorised copies of the real thing as supplied by manufacturers to the German government. The counter-argument is that they are legitimate, having been worn by recipients at the time. That argument renders the onyx-cored GKs legitimate.

In Die Orden Hermann Görings, Neubecker states on Page 33 that "The collection of Hermann Göring is now widely scattered. One of the largest groups, including twelve Grand Crosses, supposedly is in an English collection." Neubecker was probably referring to the Royal Airforce Museum in the north-western London suburb of Hendon. US Army officer Paul Kubala, who was in charge of Göring just after his surrender, is alleged to have stolen several of the Reichmarshall's awards as well as his marshall's baton. These allegedly resurfaced in 1968 at a show in Kentucky when Kubala fils offered them for sale to, amongst others, the late W C Stump. There were "several" Grand Crosses. However, someone claiming to be the daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Kubala stated the following:
As the daughter of LTC Paul Kubala, I would like to clarify what I consider misinformation presented to William Stump in the 1960's by his son, Peter Kubala regarding Nazi memorabilia that he had for sale and about our father, Paul Kubala. I had the opportunity to speak to Mr. Stump prior to his death and presented the following as evidence that Peter Kubala lied about obtaining the Nazi memorabilia from our father.
Lt. Colonel (then major) Paul Kubala was divorced from Peter's mother early on in the war. My father was recalled from the African campaign at the request of the commanding officer at the base in Kentucky where she was living. Due to certain problems with her behavior, she had compromised my father's situation the field of intelligence. He stayed long enough to remove her from the base, signed divorce papers and immediately left again for Africe. His obligation to her was child support only.
In his capacity of interpreter, interrogator and intelligence officer with the 7th Army, he moved from the African campaign, through Corsica and France and then towards the end of hostilities, to Augsburg, Germany in 1944. In addition to working with the 7th Army, G-2, he later served post war as the Military Governor of the Heidleburg region and then as an intelligence officer with the OSS. He never returned to Kentucky and had no contact with his son until he was 18 years of age.
My father and mother were married in 1945. He rotated back to the States in 1946 with his wife and daughter and immediately transferred to the Air Foce. His first assignment was to Wright Patterson, AFB. As an Air Technical Intelligence officer he was sent to Israel where he served as an adviser. He was one of the investigators for the Roswell UFO incident and other supposed sitings. While at Wright Patterson, he was promoted to Lt Colonel...this at a time when post-war promotions were frozen. His next assignment took the family (now 2 daughters) to Warner Robbins, GA and finally, his last position was that of Provost Marshall/Intelligence Officer at Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. These were the early days of the U.S. missile program. With his experience in the field of intelligence, he designed and managed the security of the program while it was under the auspices of the Air Force. He then took over the entire program (including all down range tracking facilities) for Pan American when he retired from the Air Force. Required all during these years, were the highest security clearances.
It should be obvious from the above narrative that Peter Kubala fabricated his story about receiving war memorabilia from his father when he was young as he never saw his father until he turned 18 (when his child support ended). Furthermore, he and his commanding officer, Colonel William Quinn (later General Quinn and others) testified many times that Paul Kubala did not have the Goring medals.
It is not difficult to imagine that since his son Peter and his mother continued to live near the 7th Army headquarters in Kentucky, that he could have acquired some Nazi medals from individuals who had returned back to that location at war's end and who knew of my father's involvement with the G-2.
Prior to his death, my father had been writing his memoirs and had been corresponding with his former commanding officer from the 7th Army, then General Quinn regarding details of events that General Quinn required for his own memoirs.
Immediately after my father's death, my mother began to receive threatening phone calls which eventually she found out had been instigated by Peter and his friends who claimed that they were members of the American Nazi Party. The calls finally ended when she advised the last caller that one of my father's closest friends was a station chief for the FBI and had been advised of the calls.
How coincidental that shortly after his father's death, Peter came up with Nazi memorabilia that he claimed was given to him by his father years prior while supposedly still living with his mother.
As a commanding officer of the 7th Army Interrogation Center, G-2, my father had occasion to meet and talk to about 2500 of the highest-ranking Nazi and Fascist prisoners captured by the 7th Army in the drive through the so-called German National redoubt area (he spoke 5 languages fluently). Considering the circumstances and turmoil of those days, the Goring medals were not considered "important" (as stated by Col Quinn, my father's commanding officer who testified about the loss of the medals) and were easily neglected. He was also often required to travel as when he went to Heidelburg to inform the local citizens of the location of live land mines in the area. Goring had provided the map and deciphered the locations during one of his interrogation sessions with my father, or when he was required to visit concentration camps, etc. During those days, the pressure was on night and day with regards to interrogations of prisioners before they were moved on to the French, and later, trail at Nuremburg.
My mother and uncle (an officer in the French resistance) accompanied my father to Augsburg for several reason, primary of which, was to testify against French collaborators that were tied to Klaus Barbie and his infamous atrocities. My mother and her brother had worked as informants to the 7th Army during their stay in the Grenoble region of France. My mother continued to work for the 7th Army while in Augsburg (as did my uncle) and saw little of my father during those days at Augsburg. They had been engaged for two years prior to their marriage in Heidelburg.
At age 18, Peter tracked down our father in Florida. The newfound and very brief relationship was fraught with problems from the beginning. In the initial visit (my sister and I were present for all four very brief visits), Peter did learn about some of his father's war experience and his duties with the 7th Army and it was at this time that he inquired about the watch that my father was wearing ( and wore until the day he died at which time it was placed in the bank.) e
The relationship ended bitterly when my father was forced to fire his son from a job that he had arranged for Peter with Pan Am at a missile tracking station in the Bahamas. There, he had been arrested and had compromised his security clearance. Peter had served on tour in the Marine Corps and my father had hoped that he had straightened out. Peter showed up at our home one last time with a wife and child in tow and, as usual, asking for money. My father had been conned one time too many by that time. The visit lasted only a few hours, my father gave the wife a small "baby' gift and sent them on, telling Peter not to return. It was the height of the Cuban crisis and my father did not have the time or patience to deal with a recalcitrant son.
My father died shortly thereafter at the age of 60 and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
Pete' behavior at our father's funeral was more than outrageous as he attempted to intimidate and threaten my mother, sister and me. He continued with his harassment after the funeral. Finally, upon receipt of a small life insurance policy left to him, he left my mother alone.
In conclusion, my brother's allegations were preposterous...conveniently made up after our father's death, well aware that Paul Kubala could do nothing about them. Upon earlier investigation, my father discovered that Peter had a history of problems during his adolescent years and apparently carried them forward into adulthood.
As a final note, I would like to add that my father came to this country from Germany at the age of 17 to escape the forces of Hitler, never to see his mother or sister again, and ultimately to fight against his own family. He served this country for 25 years in the military and 15 years as Security Manager for the missile program. He survived two world wars and was directly involved in the Cuban crisis. The security of the missile program was never compromised during his watch.
I have only recently discovered this web site and despite the years that all of these allecations took place, feel the need to present the truth to those interested in Mr. Stump's story as I did to him.

Here is an example of the C E Juncker GK in Gordon Williamson's collection, pictured beside a Ritterkreuz to give an idea of the size of the cross. I believe this example bears the LDO L/12 stamp but Gordon can confirm that.

PK
Last edited by Paddy Keating on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

ImageImage

A fake pair of onyx-cored Großkreuze offered by a German auction house back in 2003, presented in a silver case said to have been converted from a cigar case that actually did belong to Göring at some point.
Lot Nr.6493
Hermann Göring.
Zwei Großkreuze des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 in Silberkassette, Geschenk Adolf Hitlers zum 50sten Geburtstag 1943. Die Großkreuze als Sonderausführung mit Platinzarge und schwarzem Onyxkern, unterhalb der Öse gestempelt "dGW" und eingeschlagene Platinpunze "950 PT", der polierte Onyxkern mit hervorragend geschliffener Hakenkreuzauflage, die vorder- und rückseitige Jahreszahl besonders sorgfältig graviert, jeweils 72 x 63 mm, an Sprungringen. Komplett mit Bandabschnitt auf schwarzer Samteinlage in rechteckiger Silberkassette mit vier quadratischen Füßen, auf dem Deckel silbergefasste schwarze Onyxplatte mit aufgelegtem Reichsmarschallsadler in Silber, in den vier Ecken jeweils reliefiertes Familienwappen Görings, im Innendeckel fein gravierte Geschenkwidmung "Dem Reichsmarschall des Grossdeutschen Reiches Hermann Göring für seine Verdienste um Deutschlands Grösse und zu seinem fünfzigsten Geburtstag / 12.Januar 1943 / Adolf Hitler". Am Bodenrand eingeschlagene Silberpunze "800" mit Halbmond, Krone und Monogrammmarke des Berliner Juweliers H.J.Wilm. 5 x 18,5 x 28,5 cm.
Dazu die Fotokopie eines Schreibens des ehemaligen Besitzers Wolfgang Schulze von Mertschinsky vom Mai 1969, in dem er ausführlich schildert, wie er durch Vermittlung des späteren Königlich-Thailändischen Generalkonsuls Styler dieses "Silberetui mit den zwei Großkreuzen des E.K.1939 aus Platin und Onyx" Anfang 1958 von der Witwe Hermann Görings, Frau Emmy Göring, erhalten hat.

Nachdem Hermann Göring das Großkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes von Adolf Hitler in der Reichstagssitzung am 19.Juli 1940 als einzigem Inhaber verliehen wurde, beauftragte er den Berliner Juwelier Prof.H.Zeitner mit der Herstellung der Sonderausführung in Platin und Onyx. Nach einem Schreiben von Prof.Zeitner wurde das Großkreuz nicht mit seinem Meisterzeichen gestempelt, da es sich um einen vorgegebenen Entwurf handelte. Die Onyxplatte wurde von der Fa. Moser in Karlsbad geliefert, der Onyxkern nach Entwurf von Herrn R.Rothemund in den Kunstgewerblichen Werkstätten Walter Brendel in Berlin gefertigt und die Gravur von Herrn Rupert Kohlrus (Fa.W.Brendel, Stein-Schönau) ausgeführt.
PK
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

As far as the definition of "official" awards is concerned, one could dismiss any LDO-marked award from the Third Reich era as "unofficial" in that these were supplied for retail purposes. In the case of the Ritterkreuz and its "add-ons", LDO-marked examples were confiscated after the 1941 crackdown and some are known to have been awarded to recipients. But one could argue convincingly that they are really just authorised copies of the real thing as supplied by manufacturers to the German government. The counter-argument is that they are legitimate, having been worn by recipients at the time. That argument renders the onyx-cored GKs legitimate.

PK
Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

The process was pretty clear: the Präsidialkanzlei approved a supplier as such based on submitted samples and the LDO issued a LDO-number based on the permission of the PKZ. The LDO could not issue a number w/o the permission of the PKZ.

Therefore it is clear that all three possible examples of a RK (Juncker as an example) come as 800 only (pre-LDO till March 1941), L/12 (March 1941 till October 1941) and later on with the Präsidialkanzlei-Code of "2" in several variations.

However, all three types have the absolute identical cores and frames. And that holds true for all the medals in the EK family - there never was a difference between LDO and PKZ issue - both were official.

The legitimacy - if there is a question about that at any rate - comes clearly from the requirement to show the Wehrpass/Soldbuch when buying a replacement piece (EK1 or EK2) - officers were excluded from that requirement.

RK and higher were bought directly from the Präsidialkanzlei and required also some kind of proof. This dispels the notion of privately made "Zweitstücke" - another nice word for 'fake'.

But the whole theme of PKZ, RK distribution and LDO cannot be rehashed in a few words anyway.

Dietrich
Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

Paddy Keating wrote: Here is an example of the C E Juncker GK in Gordon Williamson's collection, pictured beside a Ritterkreuz to give an idea of the size of the cross. I believe this example bears the LDO L/12 stamp but Gordon can confirm that.

The Grand Cross is not a C.E. Juncker example but rather an unproven/unknown example. For sure not an official piece of the 3rd Reich.

The RK is a S&L.

Here is another picture of a genuine Juncker Grand Cross with the 60 mm wide ribbon.

Last edited by Dietrich Maerz on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

You're quite right. I erred. The cross in the GK/RK comparison picture is not the C E Juncker type. The ribbon loop eye doesn't dip into the frame as much. It might have been manufactured during WW2. But the official award crosses were indeed produced by C E Juncker. LDO-marked pieces were supplied for retail outlets. Therefore, they were intended as authorised duplicates or replacements. Prior to the March 1941 crackdown, when retail sales of Germany's highest award for valour were outlawed, there were all sorts of variations of the Ritterkreuz produced. I had a zinc-cored, nickle-framed Juncker RK at one time. It is possible that some firms produced the Großkreuz before Doehle's office issued the formal ban concerning retail sales of the RK and the order to surrender all but a few examples for display purposes in November 1941. These firms may have included Steinhauer & Lück, Godet and Souval. If Godet produced a GK, it might have been manufactured by Zimmermann, like Godet's RK and EK1.

PK
Dietrich Maerz
Author

Post by Dietrich Maerz »

Zink core/Neusilber framed Juncker crosses are no retail pieces - they are the rarest of the rare and were the crosses that were awarded to the first 27 recipients in 1939. You should have kept it.

Only in around May 1940 when the new need arose, did Juncker change to a short run of magnetic/Neusilber frame to be followed by the silver frame version.

True, there may have been a ton of companies producing all kind of medals. S&L is always a good bet and so is Souval since both continued to do so for decades after the war. But they don't interest me, they have not been sanctioned by the Ordenskanzlei des Führers.

I would be interested in your original source regarding the Godet/Zimmermann thing. I could not find out whether Zimmermann produced or Godet did. I really would like to have the proof for that - one way or the other.