Von Stumpfeld Division

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Shadow
Patron

Von Stumpfeld Division

Post by Shadow »

Greetings Troops - :D

I recently ran across mention of "The Von Stumpfeld Division" in regards to events around Stalingrad circa 1942/43. It's the first time I'd ever heard of this unit.

Does anyone have information, and/or a thread lead, about this unit. I think, from the passage read, that it was some kind of "ost" unit??

Any, and all, help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards -
Signed: "The Shadow"
Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

Shadow,

Check out this link;

http://www.ostbataillon.by.ru/vonscht.htm

Kind Regards,

Ritter
Audaces Fortuna Juvat
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi,

there is much controversy about this unit. Two concurent thoeries exist

1. Von Stumpfeld Division, formed from Eastern volunteers 12/12/42, destroyed inside Stalingrad. This theory is supported by several sites, but all data is from one batch.

2. Gruppe von Stumpfeld. Unit formed as ad-hoc grouping on the Chir river. Confirmed by H. Doerr, W. Adam and other sources, also by documents. Unit was not made up of Eastern volunteers, although there was an Estonian Schuma Bn attached to it.

Which theory is correct?

I am convinced that the second. I have seen documents of the Gruppe Stumpfeld, so it must have existed. Also, the historical sources confirm this theory. On the other hand, a Div von Stumpfeld could have existed inside Stalingrad, but

1. I find it highly unlikely that two von Stumpfeld groupings were formed at appr. the same time at the same place.

2. the components of the #1 version are led by the same people who were commanders of the sub-units within the Gr. Stumpfeld. F.e. "Stelle" (sic!) Regiment is the KG Selle, as confirmed by W. Adam (the adjuntant to Paulus) in his memoires, and this unit had clearly fought outside of the pocket and on the Chir.

So, most probably Div von Stumpfeld is a misinterpretation of the Gr. Stumpfeld outside of the pocket.

Hope I've helped,
Best,

Abel
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Greetings "Ritter" - :D
Greetings "Abel" - :D

Thanks for the input guys !!

Very, very interesting stuff !!

Best regards -
estonian
Supporter

Post by estonian »

This document really exists.

Gruppe von Stumpfeld
Abteilung IIa

Gef. St. am 26. Detz. 1942.
An das Befehlshabar der Ordnungspolizei
über den Höheren SS und Polizeiführer
Russland – Nord.

R i g a .

Das Schutzmannschafts-Front-Btl. 36 war mir während der Abwehrkämpfe im Tschir-Abschnitt vom 22. 11. 42. bis 26. 12. 42. mit unterstellt und an den bedrohlichen Stellen des Frontabschnitts eingesetzt. Es hat sich bei den harten Kämpfen tapfer gehalten und sich sehr bewährt.
Ich sprehce dem Bataillon für die Einsatzbereltschaft meine Anerkennung aus, die auch durch Verleihung von Eisernen Kreuzen an besonderes tapfere Offiziere, Unteroffiziere und Mannschaften ihre äussere Würdigung fand.

gez. v. Stumpfeld
Generalmajor
u. Kommandeur der Kampfgruppe.

Estonian veterans from this unit do not remember any other nations, they were fighting with on the frontline, only germans and some rumenians.
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

:D

Thanks "estonian" !!

Much appreciated !! :wink:

Best regards -