White Russian emigrants in Waffen-SS units

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Semenov

White Russian emigrants in Waffen-SS units

Post by Semenov »

Hello!
I am looking for information on Russian emigrants in the army and SS RSHA. Particularly interested in Russian in other national movements. I know about the Russians in the Wallonie and Charlemagne. Very important information about the Russians in Scandinavian units and RSHA.
Of particular interest to officers - Michail Semenov, Sergei Frohlich and other.

Thanks!
My article about Russian fuhrer's SS -
http://ww2books.blogspot.com/2008/10/ru ... of-ss.html
http://ww2books.blogspot.com/2008/10/ru ... s-pt2.html
sorry, but it in Russian

Best wishes from Russia
panzermahn
Associate

Re: White Russian emigrants in Waffen-SS units

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Semenov,

Here are some names I remembered (I don't have my books with me right now) so correct me if I am wrong

1. Standarten-Oberjunker Sergei Protopopov (33rd Waffen Grenadier division der SS "Charlemagne", KIA Berlin 30th April 1945. If i am not mistaken, Protopopov belongs to a Russian nobility family)
2. Standarten-Oberjunker Kratoff (33rd Waffen Grenadier division der SS "Charlemagne")
3. Georges Tchekoff (28th Waffen SS division 'Wallonie")

I remembered there are some White Russians emigres in the Division Azul, Waffen SS division 'Langemarck', LVF, 18th SS Panzergrenadier Division 'Horst Wessel', Kosaken Kavallerie Korps under General von Pannwitz (which were transferred to the Waffen SS in 1945) and not forgetting the Russian Protection Corps in Yugoslavia which were under the command of the Waffen SS (on the paper it seems)

Any chance of getting the English version of your article? It would be great to have that for everyone in the Feldgrau community

Many thanks
Panzermahn
Semenov

Post by Semenov »

Well. I don't know English very well and use elektron-translator.

Few facts about Georgiy Tchechov (Chehov).

Start the German-Soviet war, thousands of Russian emigrants received with joy and hope. Finally a weary years of waiting for the exile was over, began «Spring tour». Russian emigrants pile of letters by German authorities and agencies at their own risk provozglashali formation of various parts volunteer to participate in the liberation of Russia. «Do not neatly sit idly by when the hour of liberation of our beloved homeland hit». However, very cautious and even hostile attitude of Germans often impede the proper formation of Russian parts of the emigrants.
In this situation, many immigrants were able to join the ranks of volunteer foreign parts, formed from the citizens of Europe to combat hated communism. Thus, several hundred Russian immigrants turned out in the French and Walloon volunteer legions, the Danish Volunteer Corps and the Spanish volunteer division. The bulk of these volunteers - emigrants were officers and White Russian imperial armies. It was among them and one officer of the Imperial Navy, ironically, far ahead of SS troops in the hierarchy of their comrades from the land army.
George V. Chekhov was born 14 Dec, 1892 in Sukhumi. In 1914 graduated from the Marine Corps and was identified by the Baltic Fleet. Not taking the Bolshevik revolution, he served on the Don. At the beginning of Lieutenant Chekhov numbers in the state of the military port of Novorossiysk. With 22 Jan, 1919 he had a number in the Don Army, the Chief of Naval heavy artillery. 1 Jun, 1919, he was in senior lieutenants. In the Black Sea Fleet Chekhov evacuated in Bizerte, in the squadron, he listed a further 25 May, 1921 Leaving Bizerte, he settled in Germany, where Berlin has become an active member of the Union Mutual served in the Russian Navy. In mid-1930's George Chekhov moved to Belgium, and about 1937, settled in Liège. Before the Second World War, he received the Belgian nationality.
After the start of the German-Soviet war came together with other members of Russian emigrants Russian Imperial Union Order of the Walloon Legion (373rd Infantry Battalion Wehrmacht). 8 Aug, 1941 were enrolled in the Legion with the rank of captain and was appointed commander of the 3rd Company, 373rd Infantry Battalion. Along with volunteers Legion in November 1941, arrived at the Soviet-German front. By participating in the hostilities, the captain of Chekhov has shown himself an experienced officer and has earned the respect of the Walloon comrades, but failed to find understanding with the Chief of Staff of the German connection with the Legion. Despite this, in March 1942 CHexov served as commander of the Walloon Battalion, and later was commander of the Legion of reserve units.
1 Jun, 1943 along with the 373 th battalion captain Chekhov was transferred to serve in the army with the rank of waffen-Hauptsturmfuhrer. During the years of stay in the Soviet-German front, George Chekhov make friends with the leader of Walloon nationalists Leon Degrelle and became one of his closest aides in the formation of the Walloon SS troops. 20 Apr., 1944 Chehov was made in the next rank of Waffen-SS sturmbannfuhrer. In March 1945, Major Chekhov was the commander of the Second Battalion 69 th SS Volunteer Grenadier Regiment (28 th Walloon SS division). A few days later he was appointed commander of the 70 th Regiment of the same division. In the battles for Pomerania, he probably was shot and end the war met at the hospital. Despite the injury, Czechs managed to avoid repatriation to the USSR. He emigrated to Argentina and 26 November, 1961 died in Buenos Aires.
During the years of service in the Imperial Navy Chekhov was awarded the Order of St. Anne 4 th. for bravery, honors St. Stanislaus with swords 2, 3, 4 th. During the Second World War was awarded the German Iron Cross II class and a medal «winter in the East».
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hello Semenov

Here are some more infos on Standarten Oberjunker Sergey Protopopov. He was an ex-Milicien under Joseph Darnand. Jean Mabire's book To Die for Danzig mentioned about Protopopov in a company being encircled in Danzig but managed to break out.

Sergey Kratoff was an Untersturmfuehrer and formerly from the French Sturmbrigade which fought in Galicia 1943. He was one of the victims of the infamous war crime committed by the French 2nd Armored Division at Karlstein, Bad Reichenhall 1945.

I got some names of Russian emigres in LVF and I wonder if you had more infos about them.

Ustuf Vladimir Tirbakh (ex-LVF, and then Charlemagne Division)
Unteroffizier Papricky (LVF)
Feldwebel Nagine (not sure the real spelling of this name, but he was LVF trooper)

I also had some names of Russian-Estonian members of the Estonian SS Legion (I am not sure if they were emigres from the Oktober Revolution though). Just give me a few days to look for them in my copies of Siegrunen

One of my associates told me that he has a list of names of more than 30 Russian emigres who served in the Division Azul and also a Russian who served in the Spanish unit (Heer/Waffen SS?) until the end of the war. But he has not get back to me yet so I guess we had to wait

Hope it helps

Regards
Panzermahn
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Semenov

I found names of two Russian emigres inthe Wallonie Legion

Sturmann Alexei Stroynovsky
Obersturmfuehrer Nikolai Ivanovich Sahnovskogo

Do you have any more info? Apparently, Russian emigres in the Wallonie Legion conversed in French, Russian, German as well as English (!) and they were considered as Belgians instead of Russians by the Germans. I am not sure whether this is true or not

Panzermahn
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

More on Sergey Protopopov

His father was the Imperial Russia's consul in the city of Nice in 1914.
Descendent of Russian Prince Oukhtomsky
In 1943, enlisted in Joseph Darnand's Milice because he was fiercely anti-Bolshevik
By december 1943, enlisted in LVF and reached the rank of Feldwebel
In December 1944, was sent to the SS Panzergrenadier Schule at Kienschlag for officer's course (apparently it seems that Protopopov didn't finished the course, probably because of the desperation of the war since his last rank was Waffen-Standarten Oberjunker)
2nd in command of the 4th Company Sturmbataillon "Charlemagne"
KIA by a mortar round on 29th April 1945

I saw before two pictures of Protopopov in Milice uniform (taken probably in 1943)

Panzermahn
Semenov

Post by Semenov »

Dear Panzermahn!

Thank you for participating in this thema. I know about Russians in the Spanish division and have the this list. The number of Russians in Wallonie Mr. Eddy de Bruyne estimates at 20 people, but on my list is already more people. Russians in the Volunteers Legions recorded as citizens of those countries. For LVF I also have some material, in the summer of 1941, a one company of the French regiment was formed from the Russians from the French Foreign Legion, Russian officers also commanded the few companies, but the Germans demanded they be replaced.
Russian emigrants also served in the Norwegian Legion and the Danish corps. The names of the Russians in the Norwegian Legion just known to me, but the one Russian (KIA) in Freikorps Danmark remained unknown to me.
Thank you very much for the interesting details about Protopopov and 3 Russians from LVF.

Best wishes from Russia

On foto Ostuf. Serge Krotoff left corner (source Internet)
Attachments
50a21db324a9.jpg
50a21db324a9.jpg (102.39 KiB) Viewed 7689 times
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Semenov

Yes, I saw this photo before. It was the picture of the 12 French Waffen SS soldiers that were executed at Karlstein, Bad Reichenhall, 1945.

From left to right, Serge Krotoff (born in Madagascar, son of a Russian seaman), Leutnant Paul Briffault (ex-LVF and not under the Charlemagne Division as evidenced by his infantry Litzen collar tabs) and Robert Doffat (I think he looks like Stallone)

As you can see, their solemn but yet dignified expression tells us much about the situation at that time.

If I am not mistaken, I recall that there were some Russians in the Wiking Division, as well as in the Finnische Freiwilligen Battalion der SS and the Estonian "Narwa" Battalion. I try to see if I can find out more info

Regards
Panzermahn
Semenov

Post by Semenov »

Yes, I know about Russians in Wiking, but I have not heard about Russians in Estonian and Finnish battalions.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Semenov

I think most likely it is Russo-Finnish or Russo-Estonian personnel. But I could be wrong

Panzermahn
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Not "executed" but murdered. Very interesting that there was a White Russian amongst the men murdered at Bad Reichenhall.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Yes,

These 12 Frenchmen were murdered due to the unmilitary rascality and gangster-like behaviour of Lecqlerc, who ordered these men to be shot just because one of them asked the general why is he wearing an American uniform in return for Lecqlerc's questions on why these Frenchmen were in German uniform. Lieutenant Cortadellas, who would lead one of the firing squad, protested that the men should at least be tried in a court martial but it is to no avail. Initialy, Lecqlerc ordered these men to be shot at the back with blindfolds on. But Cortadellas refused strongly because he believed that these Frenchmen were soldiers and should at least received a soldier's death. And somehow, Lecqlerc acquiesed. There were two padres there to give these men last rites.

Cortadellas spend some time with these condemned Frenchmen, whose only wrong were to have the courage to act on their belief and to be anti-Bolshevik at the wrong side at the wrong time. Then, these Frenchmen, led in three groups of 4 men each, singing La Marseillaise. These 12 men, stood bravely at the face of the gun barrel of their own countrymen, with all honor and dignity as a soldier, as a Frenchman and as an European. Just before the moment the trigger was pulled, they shouted defiantly, Vive Le France before their lifeless bodies slumped to the ground. It was the efforts of one of the padres who managed to find the victims' families and let them know the infamous story of French brutality towards their own countrymen, akin of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity reborn

Panzermahn
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Semenov

I found one name in my notes, an SS man possibly in the 29th Italian SS Division with a Russian surname.

His name is Mario Petschkovsky. Apart from his name, I don't have any more info

Do you have any info on this man?

regards
Panzermahn
Semenov

Post by Semenov »

Hello, Panzermann!
he's not Russian name, and this family can be a Pole. I am aware of the service of one Russian officers in parts of Skozeny in Italy.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Semenov

I found a Russian-Estonian name in the Estonian SS legion.

Jegov Lebizew

Info from Siegrunen 64

Panzermahn