Eduard Freiherr von Sass

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

jhalcli

Eduard Freiherr von Sass

Post by jhalcli »

Hello eveyone,
I was wondering if anyone has any additional information about Eduard von Sass. He was a Knights Cross holder which was awarded during the fighting at Velikie Luki in late 1942. He held the rank of Oberstleutnant and was commander of Gren Rgt 277, 83.ID. He was born on 11.09.1900 in Berlin-Charlottenburg and was hung by the Russians in the Marktplatz of Velikie Luki in early 1946. Can anyone confirm these facts? Does anyone know his service history? Thanks.
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

He was hanged at Welikije Luki on the 29-1-1946.

According to one source, Sass possesed no battleexperience on the eastern front before the beginning of november 1942.(I dont'know where he served though.)
At the beginning of nov 1942 (I think 1st november) he took command of 277 I.R. and was captured on 16th January 1943. on 19th december 1942 he received the KC.

He was the last commander of this regiment as it was never raised again after the destruction at Welikije Luki.

I haven't got his service record though.

regards

eric
jhalcli

von Sass

Post by jhalcli »

Thanks Eric for your reply. Can you tell me what source you found the information about von Sass having no East Front combat experience?

Joe
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

de divisional history of the 83th infantry division by R. Tiemann

regards

eric
jhalcli

Post by jhalcli »

Hello Eric,
Do you like Tiemann's book? Does it say much on the Battle of Velikie Luki? Did a mention a Major Schwabe or Capt Darnedde or any other members of von Sass's regiment at Velikie Luki? I was wondering if this book would be worthwhile to get. Thanks.
Joe
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

Darnedde is mentioned for sure..

I Like it.. although it certainly is not the best among my collection..

I'll look into Darnedde and let you know what I find..
estonian
Supporter

Post by estonian »

Eduard von Sass was a German with Estonian roots. Von Sass family was a big landowner in Estonia and on the island of Saaremaa (Ösel/Özel) particularly.
Against encircled von Sass troops was fighting also 8th Estonian Rifle Corps (mobilized Estonians by communists). Commissars of red army had information of von Sass and they start a propaganda campaign for Estonians. They told big peces about Estonian proletarian fighting against bloody capitalist and big landowners - exploratory of simple Estonians. They hope do rise anger against Germans. But outcome was different. Estonians knew family of von Sass as friendly people and they trust von Sass. There was massive desertion in 8th Estonian Rifle Corps and 1800 Estonians went over to th e German side. Von Sass knew Estonian nation well and language either. He personally call (by loudspeaker) Estonians to cross the front-line and promised them to be at home for the Christmas.
But there was trap for Estonians also. Estonian soldiers in Red army did not knew the real situation on the front-line and bigger part of deserter's went into the encirclement. After liquidation of encirclement these men was punished very strongly, mostly sentenced to death.
But who managed do go cross the front-line by outside front, they been at home for Christmas, as von Sass promised. After, from these men was formed Estonian 287th Polizei Wacht Btl.