Volunteers from Switzerland and Sweden

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

mikerock
Contributor

Volunteers from Switzerland and Sweden

Post by mikerock »

Are there any statistics for numbers of volunteers for the SS, or the wehrmacht as a whole, from Sweden and Switzerland? How neutral were the citizens of these states?

Thanks,
--Mike
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

Post by Sigurd Helge »

Mikerock,
Concerning Swedish volunteers there are several sources claiming different numbers. Lately there has been some writing on the subject which I comment further down.
17 years ago a work was published by Lennart Westberg ("Swedish volunteers in German Waffen-SS", Meddelanden från Armémuseum XXXV-XXXVI) which was an attempt at sorting out the facts behind Swedish W-SS volunteers. This is still most offenly quoted as being closest to the truth.
According to this source, in total and between 1939-45, about 200 Swedish volunteers joined W-SS.
Detailing an exact number seems hard since the particapation of Swedes changes over time but Westberg concludes that between 1941-43 about 30-40 served in 5.SS-Pz.Div. "Wiking". About 40 served in 11.SS-Pz.Gren.Div. "Nordland" (SS-Pz.Aufkl.Abt. 11). 8-10 were trained as war correspondents in different units.
There was one Swede in 1.SS-Pz.Div. "LSSAH", some Swedes in 3.SS-Pz.Div."Totenkopf", 6.SS-Geb.Jäg.Div. "Nord".
Lastly, Westberg also mentions that "a handful" Swedes served in other units than W-SS.

Recently there has been some writing about the W-SS volunteers in Sweden. Unfortunately this litterature cannot claim 100% scentific correctness. The author of the recently published works, Bosse Schön, is a journalist and the books are an attempt to shed some light over the lifes and times of certain individuals and explain "why they did it". The whole volunteer issue is still quite "sensitive" and there is still a lot of guilt to be sought and demanded by the public. Needless to say the media and journalist "mob" are like a pack of wolves which renders a whole lot of ugly "packhunting" and unneccesary accusations.

The general lack of understanding of European history is clearly evident.
Perhaps this is why I consider the latest "contributions" to be a bit tendetious and the historical facts in the books are sometimes mixed up and/or sketchy. An air of "sensationalism" can sometaimes be scented.
As a comparing example the same issue in Finland is handled much more historically correct and fair, both in a historical context but also on a personal level (i.e the individuals concerned). It seem that Finns are much more pragmatic than us Swedes, an Finnish asset I would say.

Regards,
~Sweden
GMY
~Sigurd Helge

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who claim they've found it"
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

Post by Sigurd Helge »

Of course I'm "Sigurd" and not "Sweden"...

Regards,
~Sigurd
GMY
~Sigurd Helge

mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

I was honoured that the whole nation of Sweden was replying to my post!

:D

Thank you very much for your infromative reply Sigurd.

--Mike
Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

As a comparing example the same issue in Finland is handled much more historically correct and fair, both in a historical context but also on a personal level (i.e the individuals concerned). It seem that Finns are much more pragmatic than us Swedes, an Finnish asset I would say.
I would say it's not so much of question of pragmaticism, as of different circumstances.

The Finnish SS volunteer battalion was recruited with the approval of the Finnish government at a time before the Barbarossa when Finland was cultivating her relationship with Germany. Finns would have been happier if the battalion had been formed in the Heer (which was very much willing to receive the Finns), not in the Waffen SS, but the Germans involved insisted for the latter.

Overwhelming majority of the Finns volunteered not because of any Nazi sympathies, but because it was perceived a patriotic thing to do (this was at the time between the Winter and Continuation wars). In addition there were the traditions of the WWI-era Jäger movement, when hundreds of young Finns had travelled to Germany to receive military training in order to free Finland from the Russian Empire. The Waffen SS -volunteers were commonly known as the new Jägers.

The circumstances of the Swedish volunteers were quite different. Sweden was struggling to preserve her neutrality, and made some concessions to Germany, but no recruitment for the Waffen SS was officially approved. Those Swedes who joined Waffen SS did so on their on initiative. I would venture to guess that they all were motivated by Nazi sympathies and/or anti-communism.

It's true that Finns who served in the Waffen SS in 1941-43 weren't discriminated against after the war in any way, in fact many reached important positions in the post-war civilian life and politics (one became the Minister of Defence in the 1950's or 60's). Finns in general have always been aware of the existence of the volunteer battalion, so there's no sensations to be made. The battalion's history is viewed in the context of the times. People understand they were fighting men, not any concentration camp guards.

Few years ago there was an incident of sorts, when a projected memorial for the killed Finnish Waffen SS volunteers wasn't realised because media decided to make big news of it. Finland's Jewish community expressed its disapproval, and finally the project lost its political support. IMO this was rather sad, because the men would have deserved their memorial, but OTOH I quite well understand why the Finnish Jews weren't happy with the projected memorial. And it has to be said that the people behind the project rather bungled the publicity. Their spokesman defended the memorial not by the historical facts, which in itself would have been enough, but by stating that 'all historians agree' that the German attack in 1941 was in self defence, and therefore the Barbarossa was justified. And that is, of course, absolute BS.
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

Post by Sigurd Helge »

Mikko,
Good posting and a relevant analysis.
What would you suggest be the ultimate read considering the Finnish W-SS battalion?

Best regards,
~Sigurd
GMY
~Sigurd Helge

Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

What would you suggest be the ultimate read considering the Finnish W-SS battalion?
That would be Mauno Jokipii's 'Panttipataljoona', but that's of course in Finnish.

There's also a number of bililingual Finnish-English publications by the Viking-divisioona Oy, but they're pictorial histories or concentrate on certain fields like uniforms.
stallare

Post by stallare »

For the record: Isn't it true that the swedish volunteers all had to desert or at least sneak across the border to enlist into the WSS since they all were subjects to conscription?
George Lepre

Post by George Lepre »

Hi guys -

As far as the Swiss volunteers are concerned, there is a book on this subject: Reichlin, Linus. Kriegsverbrecher Wipf, Eugen. Weltwoche, 1994. ISBN 3-85504-155-5. According to this book, between 800 (not less than) and 900 (not more than) Swiss crossed the border and volunteered for the Waffen-SS. Between 150 and 200 were KIA. Some (not more than 20) were executed for desertion, etc. The highest ranking Swiss SS man was Eugen Corrodi, who attained the rank of SS-Oberführer. One Swiss volunteer, Hermann Flückiger, was a former officer in the Swiss army and went on to serve as a company commander in the "Handschar" Division. He was killed-in-action in 1945.
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

For the record: Isn't it true that the swedish volunteers all had to desert or at least sneak across the border to enlist into the WSS since they all were subjects to conscription?
At least the swedes that were in Sweden! There were some that at the time was in Europe and enlisted to. Even some volunteers got directly to Germany from Finland.

regards
Hans N
McMax

Post by McMax »

What about Swedish and other Scandinavian volunteers in the Finnish armed forces.I heard that substantial numbers of Swedes fought in the Finnish army against the USSR,both in the Winter War and later.
COME ON YOU *$@^*% DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER!!!!!
Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

What about Swedish and other Scandinavian volunteers in the Finnish armed forces.I heard that substantial numbers of Swedes fought in the Finnish army against the USSR,both in the Winter War and later.
Few years back I wrote a short essay on Swedish volunteers in Finland during the WWII. It's online on Henrik Krog's web-page, but I can't remember the URL. Anybody?
Juha Hujanen
Supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen »

Karhufin
Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

Juha,

thanks for the URL. In fact, I just noticed a mistake I made in the essay. The total number of Swedish volunteers during the Continuation War and their casualties are all wrong. The correct numbers (from the work 'Jatkosodan historia') are:

1694 Swedish volunteers in Finland 1941-44, losses were 79 KIA, 3 MIA and 203 WIA.
fons

Post by fons »

Hi George & all others,

"Kriegsverbrecher Wipf, Eugen" is a nice book...but nothing more.
Try to get your hands on:

Vincenz Oertle's "Sollte ich aus Russland nicht zuruckkehren..." / Schweizer freiwilligen an deutscher seite 1939 - 1945 /isbn 3-908544-21-1 / Thesis Verlag - Zurich 1997

This is the ultimate on Swiss volunteers...a 745 page "monster" (including a nice amount of pic's & documents) very tough to get...i had to wait months to get me a copy when it was published, but worth every penny...
The amount of information is awesome, has to be seen!!
One of the best books i ever bought in my whole life (btw...your Handschar book is high on the same list as well George)

Yours Sincerely,

Fons Hilgers

Rotterdam/Holland