Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

LOL LOL I love that term "infamous". Gerald Bull was actually a WELL-respected scientist, he pioneered cannon-lauched small satellites in the US for NASA until they unceremoniously yanked his contract, leaving him searching the world form sponsors. He obviously knew his work could be perverted, but Sadaam originally said he wanted cannon-lauched recce satellites, not ordnance. He WAS infamous in the way that Werner Von B. alledgedly didnt give a sh1t what uniform he wore as long as he got his funding and freedom to experiment....funny how in ALL the fuss years ago about the Iraqi Supergun, and Bull's murder, noone saw fit to mention his long years of research and development for the US government.....

P.S. yep that defo the V3 projectile, hence why I wondered if it was Gerald Bull....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Been looking at the photo background....thats not White Sands is it???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

And the friendly looking fellow is:

Joe Kennedy!

The eldest brother of JFK died on a bombing mission to destroy the V3 launch site at Mimoyecques and died after the radio controlled drone containing the explosives accidentaly blew up before reaching their destination.

Nice one Herr Doktor! :D

Regards,

Paul
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Yep, infamous is not the right word for the man but since his venture with the Iraqi gun that's how he's known so I decided to call him that :D . Wasn't Bull the man who invented a method to let artillery shoot about double its usual range but that wasn't adopted by NATO?

I thought of German scientists too because the picture rang a White Sands bell but almost accidentally I bumped on Joe when I checked out the Mimoycques site. Guy Gibson looked like an option too for a while since the Dambuster squadron bombed the place too. Come to think of it, wasn't Gibson dead by that time?

Paul
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Well, hello there Fellows!

Yep, it was Joe Kennedy, the older brother of JFK. He, together with Lt Wilford John Willy, the radio-remote control technician, had volunteered for the top secret "Project Anvil", the destruction of the german V-3 Hochdruckpumpe installation at Mimoyecques in France. The plan was to fly a PB4Y-1 Liberator loaded with 21,150 Ibs ( :shock: ) of Torpex explosives towards the target, jump out from the plane which would fly by remote-control and made to crash on the German V-3 site. But when they tested the radio contact with the radio-control plane, the PB4Y-1 exploded after start over England.

Distribution of explosives in the PB4Y-1 flown by Kennedy and Willy
FLIGHT DECK : 17 BOXES OF TORPEX 1,071 LBS

NOSE WHEEL BAY : 16 BOXES OF TORPEX 1,008 LBS PLUS 1 MK9 DEMOLITION CHARGE

COMMAND DECK : 28 BOXES OF TORPEX 1,764 LBS PLUS 1 MK9 DEMOLITION CHARGE

FORWARD BOMB BAY : 141 BOXES OF TORPEX 8,883 LBS PLUS 2 MK9 DEMOLITION CHARGES

AFT BOMB BAY : 172 BOXES OF TORPEX 10,836 LBS PLUS 2 MK9 DEMOLITION CHARGES

TOTAL LOAD 374 BOXES OF TORPEX EACH WEIGHING 55 LBS

TOTAL WEIGHT 21,170 LBS

Lt. Wilford John Willy

Sources:

http://www.aviationmuseum.net/Joe_Kennedy.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/7087/uk036.htm

...and the next clue should have been a certain PT-109. :wink:

But you guys are as always too fast and too sharp! :up:

And never sleeps... :shock:

Paulus, over to you! :D

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Thank you Krollspell and glad you're back! :D

And now for something comlpetely different after all the bikes, planes, rockets and bottles we've seen over the past few weeks.

The picture below shows a car surrounded by Germans. A scene that must have happened hundreds, if not thousands, of times during the war. Why is this one special?

Good luck!

Paul
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Good morning Paul.

The first thing that came to mind was the Spitfire attack on Rommels car in France. This lead to Rommel being injured and having to return to Germany for treatment.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

And a very good morning to you Magnus!

No, unfortunately it is not about Rommel and there are no Spitfires involved. As a matter of fact there are no airplanes involved at all :D .
But it is a German car and something about it is being investigated so you are on the right track!

Cheers,

Paul
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

And due to the absence of city arond it its not Heydrich's either!
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Indeed the beautiful city of Prague is a long drive from here!

Here's a clue that will certainly prove helpful 8)

Serious!

Paul
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

That a lot of meat.....makes me think of Bavaria :wink:

That leads me to Pattons car accident in that part of Germany :?: ......hmmm....but all the clues doesn't fit that one....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I'm thinking a regional name for a breed of beef cattle.....but I could be wrong....
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Bavaria :D but wrong.
Regional brand name for beef 8) .....nope.

The meat (mutton iirc but couldn't find a picture of that) is what first set things in motion that finally led to the first picture of the riddle.
Finally??? no, that's not really true because finally a lot of civilians ended up being shot over this.
Of course there is monument for the civilians and not for the Germans that died here.

It looks like you guys are still out in the woods over this one. That is a good thing though because the field in the first picture is one of the very few in an otherwise wooded area :D .

Paul
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

WOW! Lots has happened since the "bottle" riddle, even tthe Doktor is Back & Kickin' :D

Now back to this meaty riddle...

What's with the car...? :shock:
Those germans on the first picture seem scared of it. Is it contagious %E
or just filled with "unfriedlies".

waleed
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Good morning Paul and Waleed.

Seing that Paul is from The Netherlands I'm going with a shot towards that direction....didn't find a "meat connection" though.

On March 6, 1945 the BMW of SS General Hans Albin Rauter was ambushed at de Woeste Hoeve. German soldiers found the car and the wounded general, who was taken to hospital. 263 people were shot in reprisals.