XXII Armeekorps 1939

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Nibelung
Patron

XXII Armeekorps 1939

Post by Nibelung »

Hi all,

I am having some problems with the XXII A.K. battles in Poland, sept. 1939. I have a basic structure, but I need some details as in; march routes, battles, losses (if it is possible), encirclements...

As I understand the Korps crossed the Polish border in the Tatra moutains. On which border crossing? It then proceed north through Orava Valley towards Cracow.

By 5 September it reached the line Cracow - Nowy Sacz (a rough estimate). Did it face any serious opposition?

It then advanced alongside XVII Armeekorps over Dunajec River (?) and crossed Wislota River (?) at Debica. It seems that elements of the Korps advanced in the direction of Radymno and the other wing of the Korps through Galicia over River San and encircled remnants of the Polish Carpathian army.

Could anyone give me a little more to work with?

best,
Miha
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

The same applies also to the XXII A.K. subordinate divisions: the 2. Panzer and 4. leichte Division. Any info on those units is just as welcome!!

best regards,
Miha
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

Did you look into the daily reports of my site? I did not add all I have yet but there is at least some information for September.

\Christoph
Njorl
Contributor

Re: XXII Armeekorps 1939

Post by Njorl »

Nibelung wrote:As I understand the Korps crossed the Polish border in the Tatra moutains. On which border crossing? It then proceed north through Orava Valley towards Cracow.
IIRC Orawa lies to the south of Tatras (ie. it was Slovakia). My sources (M. Porwit 'Komentarze do historii polskich działań obronnych 1939 roku vol. 1. Plany i bitwy graniczne' Warszawa 1983) indicate following directions of movement:
- main forces of 7. ID: due north along Milowka - Zywiec line,
- part of 3. GD: towards Korbielow,
- 2. PD from Orawa through Jablonka towards Wysoka,
- 4. LD from Orawa through Chocholow towards Czarny Dunajec and from Spisz through Jaworzyna and Czorsztyn towards Nowy Targ.
Nibelung wrote:By 5 September it reached the line Cracow - Nowy Sacz (a rough estimate). Did it face any serious opposition?
Polish forces consisted of 1. Mountain Brigade, 10. Cavalry Brigade (mot.) 1. Infantry Regiment and several companies of Border Defence Corps (KOP - Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza). September 1st 10. Cavalry Brigade (24. Lancers/Uhlans Regiment reinforced with AT company and motorized artillery company) repulsed 2 attacks of armoured regiment's size on 'Wysoka' position. The 3rd attack (ca 3 pm) broke through the position and was stopped only when it reached artillery lines (with much help of reserves). Casualties were high - presumably on both sides. Chief officer of Brigade headquaters - maj. Skibinski - described the reason: the Brigade was learning how to fight an armoured division. Later on the Brigade fought mainly to slow down German advance towards Krakow.
Nibelung wrote:It then advanced alongside XVII Armeekorps over Dunajec River (?)
!!Dunajec River - the name is correct
Nibelung wrote:and crossed Wislota River (?) at Debica.
Wisloka (Wisłoka) River is the correct spelling.

If I get hold of scanner I'll post a map of this area. Please note that geographical names are written without 'special' Polish letters.

Hope this helps
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Christoph; whenever I start anything, I check your site! :up:

Njorl, thank you for confirming those names. I would be also very interested in seeing that map, should you manage to scan it. :up:

best regards,
Miha
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Ok., I managed (with some help of workmates) to scan the maps. Please note, that they are based on POLISH sources. Unfortunately maps 2.-4. lack colours and it may be hard to figure out who is who... I'm currently at work, so if legend, meaning of abbreviations or any other clarification is needed I'm willing to add them later.

Hope this helps...

First shows operational area of Polish "Krakow" and "Karpaty" armies. (source: M. Porwit "Komentarze do historii polskich działań obronnych 1939 roku Część 1. Szkice i mapy")

Second one shows positions of 10. Motorized Cavalry Brigade (most likely in the afternoon of September the 1st).

Third describes activities performed by 10. Motorized Cavalry Brigade to delay German advance in Beskid Wyspowy.

The last one gives the overview of Polish positions at the afternoon of September 5th.

(source for maps 2.-4.: A. Zawilski "Bitwy polskiego września cz. 1." Lodz 1989)

Image Image Image Image
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Njorl, thank you for your trouble to post them here. I will try to figure out what the map shows first before bothering you for explanations...

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

best regards,
Miha

P.S. See your P.M.
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Always willing to help.

PS. Check your PM.