Condor Legion Panzer Organization

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Nils

Condor Legion Panzer Organization

Post by Nils »

Hi,
I'm doing research into the German armor used in the Spanish Civil war. I've found that 4 "Abteilungen" of PzI were sent over as part of the Condor Legion and would like to know what their ToEs were. According to your glossary, Abteilungen means Battalion, but I've found other references that say it means Company, so I'm not even sure of the general number of PzI. Also, I've found references to these tanks being crewed both by german crews & german advisors training spanish crews to run them. Any idea which is correct?
Thanks
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Hi Nils,

I'm no expert on the Spanish Civil War but take a look at this site, it may be of some help to you:
http://www.eliteforces.freewire.co.uk/c ... _units.htm;

There are quite a lot of typos but I think the basic info is okay.

HTH
Regards

Howard
militaryhistorywriter
Supporter

The Ground Element Of The Condor Legion

Post by militaryhistorywriter »

Dear Nils,
The following information is provided on Gruppe Imker-the codename of the German Ground Contingent of the Condor Legion:

1 Pz.Kp (from the 1 Battalion of Panzer Regiment 6 (Neuruppin))
2 Pz.Kp.(from the II Battalion of Panzer Regiment 6 (Neuruppin))
Transport Kp
Tansport Kp
Nachrichtenzug (Signals Platoon)
Werkstatts-Kp (Workshop Company)
1 Pak. Kdo. (Antitank Gun Command)

Upon the completion of training, the Spanish tank companies retained their German Pz.Kpfw.1s and accompanied them to the front. The German training companies would then receive another supply of tanks to be used for the next training session. Army ground personnel in Spain never exceeded 600 men at any time. Gruppe Imker (Group Beekeeper) had a staff, under the command of oberstleutenant von Thoma, which coordinated and maintained all direct communications to Germany. Imker's Panzer units were codenamed Gruppe "Drohne" or Group "Drone". The following information came from the book entitled, Uniforms, Organization, And History: Legion Condor by Roger James Bender and published by R. James Bender Publishing, 1992. May God Bless-Major Robert A. Lynn, USMCR
JMS

Re: Condor Legion Panzer Organization

Post by JMS »

Nils wrote:Hi,
I'm doing research into the German armor used in the Spanish Civil war. I've found that 4 "Abteilungen" of PzI were sent over as part of the Condor Legion and would like to know what their ToEs were. According to your glossary, Abteilungen means Battalion, but I've found other references that say it means Company, so I'm not even sure of the general number of PzI. Also, I've found references to these tanks being crewed both by german crews & german advisors training spanish crews to run them. Any idea which is correct?
Thanks
Off the top of my head, each company had 11 Pz-Is with 3 companies to a Battalion (Agrupacion) and a T-26 company added later (captured tanks)
NicolasEll

Post by NicolasEll »

A question to participants in this forum,,, does anyone know anything about the panzer-lehr-regiment (from Wünsdorf) participating in the Condor Legion , gruppe Drohne? My grandfather was in the 8th Kompanie of that unit and later pictures of him show the Spain armband on his uniform...

Nicolas
I am looking for any information on the Panzer-Lehrregiment (Wünsdorf, France), and the Afr. Schtz. Regiment 963 (Heuberg, Paros-Greece) in which my grandfather, Leutnant Ludwig Preller served. Thanks.
militaryhistorywriter
Supporter

Kondor Legion

Dear NicholasEll,
The 3.2cm wide cuff title was red, edged in gold, with gold, Gothic lettering, "1936 SPANIEN 1939." Only the personnel of the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment and the Nachrichten-Lehr-und Versuchabteilung were authorized to wear the commemorative cuff title in memory of their armored brothers-in-arms who had fought with distinction in Spain. It could be worn on the right cuff of the service blouse and the greatcoat, but not on the field blouse or black Panzer uniform.

The following ground units arrived in Spain in October, 1936:

1st Panzer Company-from 1st Battalion, Panzer Regiment 6
2nd Panzer Company-from 2nd Battalion, Panzer Regiment 6
Transport Company
Signals Platoon
Workshop Company
Antitank Gun Command

May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
NicolasEll

Re: Kondor Legion

Post by NicolasEll »

Dear Military History Writer,

Thank you for this information. ... of course I cannot tell the colours on the BW photo, but it is definetely the Spanien Armband that my grandfather was wearing on the outer coat, and he was in the 8th Kompanie of the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment.
But from what you are writing, it doesn't necessarily mean that he actually was in Spain himself, did I understand you right?

Talking of the units, at what date was the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment formed?

Nicolas
militaryhistorywriter wrote:Dear NicholasEll,
The 3.2cm wide cuff title was red, edged in gold, with gold, Gothic lettering, "1936 SPANIEN 1939." Only the personnel of the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment and the Nachrichten-Lehr-und Versuchabteilung were authorized to wear the commemorative cuff title in memory of their armored brothers-in-arms who had fought with distinction in Spain. It could be worn on the right cuff of the service blouse and the greatcoat, but not on the field blouse or black Panzer uniform.

2nd Panzer Company-from 2nd Battalion, Panzer Regiment 6
Transport Company
Signals Platoon
Workshop Company
Antitank Gun Command

I am looking for any information on the Panzer-Lehrregiment (Wünsdorf, France), and the Afr. Schtz. Regiment 963 (Heuberg, Paros-Greece) in which my grandfather, Leutnant Ludwig Preller served. Thanks.
militaryhistorywriter
Supporter

Panzer Lehr Division

Dear Nicolas,
First, it is true that he didn't have to serve in Spain to wear the Spanien Armband. Second, the Panzer Lehr began forming at Potsdam in November, 1943 and moved to the Nancy-Verdun area in January, 1944 to complete the process. It was formed from several elite training and demonstration units. Most of the division's original cadre was drawn from Panzertruppenschule 1 and Panzertruppenschule II, the Panzerwaffe's major training units. These training and demonstration units were some of the most experienced and highly trained troops in the Panzerwaffe, with almost all having seen some combat and many having received decorations for bravery. As a result of this, Panzer Lehr was considered an elite unit from the time of its formation. In early 1944, Panzer Lehr was transfered to Hungary for further training and absorbed the 901st Infantry Lehr Regiment while there. It then returned to France to await the Allied invasion as a part of the German Seventh Army's armored reserve.

NicolasEll

Re: a Panzer Lehr Regiment in 1940!

Post by NicolasEll »

Dear MLW,

Thank you for your answer!
Hm. This confirms the data I found on the Wehrmacht lexikon on the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment. But it seems knowledge on a samely named unit before 1943 is lacking. I have letters proving that my granfather was in the 8. Kompanie des Panzer-Lerh-Regiments (with official stamp from the Pz.L.Regiment) as early as 1940, in Wuensdorf. But I find no information on such a unit at this date ... though it obviously existed!
Joachim Nilsson

Re: Kondor Legion

Post by Joachim Nilsson »

militaryhistorywriter wrote:

2nd Panzer Company-from 2nd Battalion, Panzer Regiment 6 [Emphasis mine]

Transport Company
Signals Platoon
Workshop Company
Antitank Gun Command

Dear militaryhistorywriter,

Could you clarify the emphasized portion for me? As the II Abteilung of Panzer-Regiment 6 had no 2. Kompanie. Or is it that the 2. Kompanie in Gruppe Imker was drawn from the II Abt. Pz.Rgt.6?

Best regards,
Joachim
militaryhistorywriter
Supporter

Gruppe IMKER

Dear Joachim,
After doing some further research, I found that 2. Kompanie was drawn from the II Abt. Pz. Regt. 6. I apologize for not getting back to you quicker with this correction. May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
Joachim Nilsson

No need to apologize. We all have regular lives to attend to. :)

Are there any known lists of men that served in the 2. Kompanie? My grandfather served as an NCO (Oberfeldwebel) in 6/Pz.Rgt.6 -and Pz.Rgt.6 had 140 volounteering NCO's for Legion Condor. Knowledge like that have a certain tendency to make one wonder...
militaryhistorywriter
Supporter

Roster of 2 Kompanie

Dear Mr. Nilsson,
Have you tried the German Ministry of Defense or the U.S. National Archives?. We have copies of all the German military forces data that was captured at the end of World War II. I hope this helps and May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
Joachim Nilsson

No, I haven't, but it seems I have to. There are just too many unanswered questions left by the photographs I have.
the other brian

Post by the other brian »

Joachim, I too am very interested in the Panzer-Lehr regiment that was established in 1940 and participated in the early phase of Barbarossa. There seems to be very little information about it available on line. The records for this unit and many others appear to have been destroyed on the bombing of Potsdam.

I would be very interested in any photos of the officers of the Regiment and their uniforms.