Inferior Treads on Leopard II Panzer

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Das_Reich

Inferior Treads on Leopard II Panzer

Post by Das_Reich »

I was noticing that much like the flimsy British tanks, the German Leopard also has very narrow treads when compared to the Abrams tanks. Why is this the case?
lijn34

Post by lijn34 »

Because in Germany tank have to ride over regular roads more often, to and from training-grounds. And no use for a lower ground-pressure????????????????????????

Greetings LIJN
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

One would conclude that Wider tracks would ammount to lower ground pressure. So this seems unreasonable unless narrowed only for train transport.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

The ground pressure of the Leopard 2 is 9.3kg/cm2, which is a perfectly acceptable figure...

Christian
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

Would the gound pressure be lessened by wider tracks? Wouldn't that be MORE "perfectly acceptable"?
matthall
Contributor

Post by matthall »

I have tried to find the exact width of both tanks, but failed. From what I can see from pictures, it seems to me that there is not much differens between the two. Could someone please give us some facts and figures so that we can compare them directly?
lijn34

Post by lijn34 »

Could it not be so that the requirements for both tanks are different. The German High Command in WW2 might take in consideration the condition of possible battlefields (for example; on the eastern front). The modern German Bundeswehr might have other demands, because they are not in the process of waging war. In the modern European armies peace-keeping is more the main reason for their existence. On these mission heavy battle-tanks ar not an important part of the mission.

Just an idea, of course.

Greetings LIJN
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

Wider tracks would give lower groud pressure (in general), however if making the tracks much wider the interior must either be more crammed, or the tank must be wider...

Christian
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

It seems like the Tiger I and II had wider tracks and thus had lower gound pressure. Agreed, disagreed?
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Das_Reich wrote:It seems like the Tiger I and II had wider tracks and thus had lower gound pressure. Agreed, disagreed?
I reckon so, DR, but don't forget that these "big cats" paid a hefty price in over-complication by having both wide "battle-tracks" and narrow "transport-tracks". Imagine the time needed to ready the vehicles for combat or rail transport.

Yours,
Paul
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

Makes sense, but what if the Germans try a reconquer the land taken from them after world war one and two? Then they may be in Russia again and with narrow tracks!
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

DR, no matter how hard I gaze into my crystal ball, I can't see Germany embarking on a new Drang nach Osten in the near future. If such did occur, it would happen in the far future.

If I see it happen in my lifetime, I'll be utterly astonished.

Yours,
Paul
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

Paul thats what most people said after the "war to end all wars" so don't be too surprised WHEN it happens.
Stefan
Banned

Post by Stefan »

And don't be surprised when you are put into a straight jacket, Neo-Nazi.
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

Stefan wrote:And don't be surprised when you are put into a straight jacket, Neo-Nazi.
Neo nazi? Check yourself sir. I am actually a Libertarian.