Romanian Campaign in 1941-1942

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

rhaught

Post by rhaught »

Ok, can anyone give me some info on the following items. My wife's grandfather sent me a letter detailing his participation in the war. From his letter, he was in the 7 Rosioro Iasi Calvary Regiment. His unit crossed the River Prut and the Nistru in Bassarabia then became involved in the fight for Odessa on the Black Sea. Afterwards they came under command of the German Army and proceeded to cross the Nipru (?). He was at Berdiansk on the Azov Sea and at Rostov where in December of 1942 he was wounded. Any info through email (subject header Romania 41-42) or postings on how to get more info on this unit and campaigns plus how to contact other veterans who are still alive is greatly appreciated! Also any info on Romanian SS volunteers and how to contact them as well!

Rob
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Post by Victor Nitu »

i already replied to your question on the Dutch Helmet Forum. The 7th Rosiori was not at Odessa, as it was assigned to the 5th Cavalry Brigade/Cavalry Corps/3rd Army.
viclip

Post by viclip »

The "Nipru" river in your grandfather's letters was likely a reference to the Dneiper River, which of course empties into the Black Sea. In native Ukrainian format "Dneiper" is actually "Dnipro", & the letter "D" followed by an "N" is easily mistaken for an "N" sound in normal conversation i.e. the "D" is somewhat silent. By the same token his reference to the "Nistru" river is presumably a reference to what is commonly called the "Dneister" river. The Romanian language appears to be a strange amalgam of the Slavic & French tongues, I've never quite figured that one out!

As for whether or not your grandfather's unit was actually where he claimed it to be, it's not unusual for small units &/or individuals assigned thereto, to wind up where according to the history books etc. they shouldn't have been. It's amazing what sort of undocumented things happen during time of war, so don't be dissuaded. Unfortunately, I can't shed any further light on the Romanian activities in the southern Ukraine, perhaps someone else will be able to help you.
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Re: Romanian Campaign in 1941-1942

Post by Victor Nitu »

viclip wrote: The Romanian language appears to be a strange amalgam of the Slavic & French tongues, I've never quite figured that one out!
The Romanian language is a Neo-Latin language: the basic vocabulary, the grammar are all derived from Latin. But due to the fact that the Romanians live among Slavs (all the "neighbours" with the exception of the Hungarians) and that we share with the Slavs the Eastern Orthodox rite, we also have about 20-25% of the words of Slavic origin. The French you mention is a newer addition to the language, mainly from the 19th century, when many French words were Romanized as the country was developping from a Medieval society to a modern one.
George Lepre

Post by George Lepre »

Hi guys -

Here is a question that Victor can probably answer -

Perhaps the answer to any questions regarding this gentleman's military service can be answered in a Romanian military archive. Can he obtain a copy of his service record? Are the records of Romanian military units archived in the country? Maybe the answers are there.

And -

For years, Westerners like myself have wondered what German records may be archived in the former "East bloc." Victor, have you ever visited Romanian military archives? Are there any German reocrds there? Those of you who read Beevor's Berlin book will see that the Russians hold not only thousands of German documents but also detailed interrogation reports of Axis prisoners. What a gold mine they must have.

Best regards,

George Lepre
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Post by Victor Nitu »

There should be a document for each major unit, called Operations Diary. However, some of them disappeared. Others were confiscated by the Soviets (like the archives of the Seaplane Flotilla for example).

I have not been in the archives, yet. In Bucharest there are only microfilm copies for the documents in the archives and they are only from 10 to 10 files. There are huge numbers of documents who await researchers. It is a real goldmine, as you said.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

If memory serves me correctly, the Museul Militar National in Bucharest has a card index with a photograph and career synopsis of many Romanian officers. If our man was an officer, they may be able to give some basic career details. There is an internet site for the MMN, I believe.
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Post by Victor Nitu »

The Military Museum has a site, but only in Romanian and offers no e-mail adress for contact. :(
They loose a lot by that.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

You are absolutely right, Victor. I hope they pick up on your comment.
Morden
Supporter

Post by Morden »

Hope that could help:

http://www.armata.home.ro/battles_i.htm

Cheers
Morden
MAXIS
Supporter

Romanian Waffen-SS

Post by MAXIS »

Rhaugh

About Romanian Waffen-SS, what infos do you need?

Max
rhaught

Post by rhaught »

Ok,

As from the previous posts/replies talking about my wife's grandfather being an officer, he was a 2nd Lt. (translated the letter says sub lieutenant, first degree of officer), graduating from the Officer Training School in Sibiu a year before. His name is Grigoriu Gheorghe. Victor or Sid, any ideas on how to look up his service record and awards? He threw them away when the communist came to power and went underground before serving 6 years in a communist prison.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Rhaught,

Try writing with the fullest details you have to the Museul Militar National in Bucharest. The museum is badly undefunded, so if you want photocopies of any records posted to you, you might be advised to include a small donation to cover this.

Cheers,

Sid.
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Post by Victor Nitu »

I will look him up in the Mihai Viteazul Order list, out of curiosity.
Florin
Supporter

Re: Romanian Campaign in 1941-1942

Post by Florin »

Hi Rob,

Since you opened this topic, a good Internet site is available now:

http://www.worlwar2.ro

The site has its own forum:

http://www.worlwar2.ro/forum

Regards,
Florin