Tin Tin, Herge, The Rexist Party and German Collaboration

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Ciaran Byrne
Supporter

Tin Tin, Herge, The Rexist Party and German Collaboration

Post by Ciaran Byrne »

Can anybody tell me if there is any truth that Herge (Georges Remi) the creator of Tin Tin, wrote articles for a Rexist Party Publication? I had heard on this forum some years ago that this was the case but cannot find the thread. Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
"I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite is the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them". - Winston Churchill
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Well, as a matter of fact Hergé published, since 1941 until 1944, le Crabe aux pinces d'or, L'étoile mystérieuse, le Secret de la Licorne and Le trésor de Rackham le Rouge. Le Petit Vingtiéme was, anyway, a catholic canard since the Twenties so, before to cry we are in front of a further sadic nazi (also if the planes of the Tintin histories are clearly German and Italian made, like floatplanes Arado 196 and Savoia Marchetti SM 83) it would be necessary to ask what the man could do to live if he could not write his marvellous histories during the war too on a catholic weekly living in a German occupied country while the invaders allowed only a single, collaborationist party (and Hergé was not a member) to exist in the Wallonie part of Belgium. The same problem was common to more than 50 millions of western europeans since 1940 until 1944, of course. Bye EC
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

...a last detail, I'm pratically Commander Haddock. EC
Dackelstaffel
Contributor

Post by Dackelstaffel »

Hi,

I guess the SABENA had some civil SM 83. For the rest I just think Hergé was just a man of its time. Don't you remember the "sept boules de cristal", behind the magician there was a star with six branchs ( not sure for the translation) and after the war he was accused to be antisemistic.
Enrico talked about a catholic canard, coin coin, Is the haddock captain understand all his slang : mille tonnerres de Brest...
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket.
Groscurth
Contributor
Location: Couloir Gervasuti,east side of Mont Blanc du Tacul.

Post by Groscurth »

Hergé like editor Dupuis were inquired after the liberation. Dupuis had to pay a fine,Hergé not (?) but had some troubles during the "repression".

Hergé started his carreer inthe 20ties for "Le petit Vingtième" in wich his first "tintin aux pays des Soviets" appeared.You can only buy this album in black and white.

Le PV. was a conservative catholique paper and in the war some of the journalists joined REX, but not Hergé. It is obvious that Hergé was anti Soviet and anti US in those days.

For example, (took the album for me) in "Tintin et l'étoile misterieuse", the bad guys are Americans and they have a stars and stripes on their boat (page 45,under right for example). With the redrawing after the war, the boat has just a red flag with something like a 4 pointed star on it and every link to the US is changed.
The Arado waterplain is still in it.

Those things are quite well explained in the Casterman luxury editions in wich you can find pro album, 2 or 3 storys combined. There is allways some background info in it. Those albums were printed in the 90ies in French, Dutch (perhaps more languages) and can still be bought.
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Excellent, billions of blue blistering bernacles EC (Alias Cdr. A. Haddock)
Groscurth
Contributor
Location: Couloir Gervasuti,east side of Mont Blanc du Tacul.

Post by Groscurth »

[quote="Enrico Cernuschi"]Excellent, billions of blue blistering bernacles EC (Alias Cdr. A. Haddock)[/quote]

"Basji Bouzouks!" et "Mille de tonnere!"
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous