East Volunteers

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

druzhina

East Volunteers

Post by druzhina »

Did Germany's allies (Hungary, etc) Recruit East Volunteers?
I read that Romania didn't Why didn't Romania use them?
Ost Turkischer
Norman aus Lemberg

Post by Norman aus Lemberg »

Who would ever want to join Romainian army? :)
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Post by Victor Nitu »

Norman aus Lemberg wrote:Who would ever want to join Romainian army? :)
I find this comment quite distasteful.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I agree, the Romanian army has a proud tradition and fought excellently during WWII in support of Germany.
LukeMiguez

Post by LukeMiguez »

For an Army that had a huge disadvantage in Armour and Anti-Armour they did as much as they could possibly do.
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

At the time, who knew that the Romaina Army didn't have adaquite armon and anti-armor support? The R-2 and 37mm ATG were seen as perfectly up to date in 1939, and even mid 1941!
Romania was a victor in WW1 and so had build a reputation, also was seen as an Anti-Fascist/Anti-Communist Haven as the Iron Guard coup was put down.
For Barbarossa I believe that Germany was seen as more of a liberator while Romania was more of regaining lost territory and conquests. Although this paragraph is just a theory of mine, feel free to debate this!

-Happy debating!
-Rick
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Druzhina,

Romania was never short of manpower in the way that Germany was and only had one occupied territory under its jurisdiction - Transnistria. There it maintained three of its own security divisions and a fortress division.

However, these divisions came under little pressure from partisans because Romanian policies in Transnistria were much milder than either pre-war Soviet rule or neighbouring German rule and so did not antagonise the local, largely Ukrainian, population so much. For example, the Romanians allowed free markets and began to decollectivise farms. This gave Transnistria a level of food production that was the envy of neighbouring German-occupied areas, where there was no decollectivisation and severe rationing.

In short, although it had a relatively weak army compared with Germany, Romania ran a much more effective "hearts and minds" operation in the area it administered. The result was a less serious security situation than in German administered areas and less need to raise "Osttruppen" to control it.

This and much more is all covered in great detail by the American Rand Corporation researcher Alexander Dallin in a book entitled (I think) "Transnistria". This was recently republished in English in Romania and is probably still in print.

Romania did raise an equivalent to the Organisation Todt in Transnistria. This consisted of thousands of brown-uniformed labourers who worked on local defences. However, they were not armed. There is an illustration in the Osprey book on the Romanian Army in WWII.

Cheers,

Sid.
estonian
Supporter

Post by estonian »

Nov.-Dec. 1942 Estn. Schutzmannschafts-F-Bataillon 36 "Arensburg" saw heavy battles on the Stalingrad front by Surovokino (Tschir river line). Suffering heavy losses this battalion was pulled out from front line and 31.12.42 was subordinated directly to the headquoters of 3. Rumenian Army. This was a short period, but I think only time in history when Estonians warring together with Romanians.

For the battles on the Stalingrad front men of the 36. Bat. were awarded with 42 Iron Crosses. This was surprising, becose in the first part of the war Germans did not gave Iron Crosses to Eastern volunteers. For those man was usually Eastern Cross. I have a copy of the document talking abouth this battle.

Gruppe von Stumpfeld
Abteilung IIa
Gef. St. am 26. Detz. 1942.
An das Befehlshabar der Ordnungspolizei
über den Höheren SS und Polizeiführer
Russland – Nord.

R i g a .

Das Schutzmannschafts-Front-Btl. 36 war mir während der Abwehrkämpfe im Tschir-Abschnitt vom 22. 11. 42. bis 26. 12. 42. mit unterstellt und an den bedrohlichen Stellen des Frontabschnitts eingesetzt. Es hat sich bei den harten Kämpfen tapfer gehalten und sich sehr bewährt.
Ich sprehce dem Bataillon für die Einsatzbereltschaft meine Anerkennung aus, die auch durch Verleihung von Eisernen Kreuzen an besonderes tapfere Offiziere, Unteroffiziere und Mannschaften ihre äussere Würdigung fand.

gez. v. Stumpfeld
Generalmajor
u. Kommandeur der Kampfgruppe.