Division Schwerdt an der Oder

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Kocjo
Enthusiast

Division Schwerdt an der Oder

Post by Kocjo » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:24 am

On http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de page of Otto Skorzeny is stated, that he was a:
Kommandeur SS-Jagdverbände und der Division Schwedt an der Oder.
I know for his command of SS-Jagdverbände, but i don't know nothing about of this Division Schwedt. What was a composition of this »division« and were any W-SS unit in-it?

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!

Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:40 am

This was an ad hoc unit formed during the battles in the Oder bridgehead at Schwedt, it had a strength of over 10,000 men.
On 31 January 1945 Skorzeny's men occupied positions in the Schwedt bridgehead, this was a regimental size unit and was composed from:
- Jagdverband Mitte (Hstuf. Fuccker),
- SS-Falschirmjäger Btl. 600 (Hstuf. Milius),
- 1 sturmkompanie (Ostuf. Schwerdt),
- 1 scharfschutzenkompanie (Ostuf. Wiescher).

Skorzeny's Stab remained in Schwedt, while a forward command post was established in the bridgehead itself with a code name »Solar«. This Stab »Solar« was in command of all SS-units in the bridgehead (all above mentioned units) and was later renamed in SS-Regiment Solar. The remains of it (apparently only SS-FJB 600), were later sent to defend another bridgehead and were then in April together with SS-Feldersatzbrigade 103 (Ostubaf. Lang) and remnants of SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.7 (Ostubaf. Prager - KC holder) absorbed into SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.103 »Solar« also known as SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.7 »Solar«.
Back to the Schwerdt bridgehead, Skorzeny gradually received the next reinforcements:
- Ersatzbtl. des Husarenrgt. Schwedt (Nr.9),
- 2 Flak Abt. (105mm),
- 1 Luftwaffen Rgt. sent by Göring,
- Volkssturmbtl. Königsberg,
- Volkssturmbtl. Hamburg,
- 1 Rgt. from Rumanian Volksdeutscher,
- 1 White Russian btl.,
- 12 stugs,
- 8-10 paks (75mm),
- 3 8,8 Flak (sfl.).

Luckily for Skorzeny the Russians didn't attack immediately, so he had time to prepare defenses and train his mostly inexperienced reinforcements. When the Russians attacked he lead an aggressive defense with numerous counterattacks and caused them heavy casualties. The fighting lasted till the end of February and this so-called Schwedt division suffered heavy losses but held the bridgehead against superior enemy forces (up to 15 times stronger) and destroyed a lot of tanks (mostly in close combat).

As a result of these actions Skorzeny received the Oak Leaves as the 826th German soldier.

charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:52 am

Hi Marko, I think I've heard of the SS Scharfschützenkompanie before, may I ask you what source you are using?

Best regards/ Daniel

Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:10 pm

Thanks Marko,
great reply.

Do you have any photos of Skorzeny there or W-SS units in combat in that area?

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!

Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:08 am

charlie don't surf wrote:I think I've heard of the SS Scharfschützenkompanie before, may I ask you what source you are using?
Skorzeny's letter from the book Krätschmer: Die Ritterkreuzträger der Waffen-SS
Kocjo wrote: Do you have any photos of Skorzeny there or W-SS units in combat in that area?
Unfortunately no.

Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:13 am

I have a photo of Skorzeny on Oder front (I think in Wien) during a inspektion visit.

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!

charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:33 am

Thanks Marko.

Best regards/ Daniel

Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:20 am

Jagdverband Mitte (Hstuf. Fuccker)
Forgot to mention there is only one c in his surname, but for some strange reason this happens :D - @#% - when you try to write this word.