German and Soviet codenames for offensive operations

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Loic
Supporter

German and Soviet codenames for offensive operations

Post by Loic »

Hello all !

I'm looking for codenames concerning such major German and Soviet offensives between 1943 and 1945. My question concerns also the days of these operations (start and end). In fact, I need all the codenames for the major operations in which 1. Panzer Division was involved.

- German and Soviet operations, 9. Armee area, May-November 1942 (I have yet operation "Seydlitz" against Partizans, early July - many thanks Jerry ! :-)).
- German antipartizans operations in LXVIII. Armee Korps area, June-August 1943.
- German operation to disarm 11th Italian Army in Greece, September 1943.
- Soviet and German operations in 8. Armee area, North Ukraine, November 1943.
- Soviet and German operations in Zhitomir-Winnitza area, December 1943 - February 1944 (XXXXVIII. PzK area, then XXIV. PzK area, 4. Pz-Armee).
- Soviet and German operations in Brod area, March-June 1944 (1. Pz-Armee).
- Soviet and German operations in Heeres Gruppe Nordukraine area between July and September 1944.
- All major operations involving 6. Armee between September 1944 and May 1945, in Hungaria and Austria.

I know my question covers a huge period, but maybe some of you have what I'm looking for ?

I insist : I need only major operations.

Thank you very much by advance !
Best regards from Paris.

Loic
Laurens
Supporter

Re: German and Soviet codenames for offensive operations

Post by Laurens »

Hello Loic,
Loic wrote:- All major operations involving 6. Armee between September 1944 and May 1945, in Hungaria and Austria.
I think that one should be Unternehmen Frühlingserwachen or Operation Spring-Awakening where the 6. SS-Panzer-Armee unsuccesfully tried to retake Hungarian oil fields and where they eventually fled through Hungary and Austria into the hands of Western units.
Otherwise there is a list on the internet with German codenames for their operations. Unfortunally, the list is sorted on the name of the operation. So you will need some time to check it out: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/axis.html
I hope you will find it useful anyway.

With kind regards,
Laurens
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

Loric
German and Soviet operations, 9. Armee area, May-November 1942 (I have yet operation "Seydlitz" against Partizans, early July - many thanks Jerry ! :-)).
Operation Seydlitz which took place 2-12 July and was a German Operation to clean out the Soviet 's 39th Army along with Partisan groups in the Belyi area.

The Soviets had two other major Operations in the summer in the Rzhev Salient.

Rzhev-Sychevka Offensive by Kalinin and Western Fronts 30 July-23 August. (Kalinin Front 30A and 29A, Western Front 31A and 20A attacking 9.AOK)

Temkino Offensive (Gzhatsk-Viaz'ma) by Western Front 14-23 August.
(Western Fronts 33A attacking 3.PzOK)

Regards
Michael
Loic
Supporter

Thanks !

Post by Loic »

Hello !

Thank you very much for your answers. Very useful information.
I need only that someone specifies whether 1. Panzer Division was involved in these two major Soviet operations. I think yes for the Rzhev-Sychevka operation, but no for the Temkino one.

Am I wrong ?

Thanks again and sorry for being late to answer !

Loic
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Loic

You are correct. The 1.PD along with the 2.PD and 5.PD were only involved in the Rzhev-Sychevka Operation. there were no Panzer divisions operating in the area of the Temkino Operation.

Regards
Michael
Loic
Supporter

1. Panzer Division in operation "Rzhev-Sychevka"

Post by Loic »

Hello Michel,

Thanks again for your excellent answers.
I just need more details about 1. Panzer Division involvement in the German counterattacks : in what area did it fight ? Against what Soviet army ? Do you have some figures (tank and manpower strenghts...) ?

Thanks again ! best regards from France !

Loic
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Loic

1.PD fought near Sychevka against the 20th Army. I can get you more specifics tonight when I can look at my file on this battle.

Michael
Loic
Supporter

Post by Loic »

Great ! Thank you very much Michael.
I wait for your information about this topic.

Truly yours,

Loic