Last major German air-raid

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

RAF_Loke

Last major German air-raid

Post by RAF_Loke »

S! Gents,

On January 1st. 1945. Luftwaffe launched a major attack on the Allied airfields in Holland, Belgium and Northern France.
The German used over 1000 planes in this attack. The allied lost alomst 500 planes in this raid, germans about 250 which many was shut down by their own air-defence.

This is all I know about this Air raid.
Could someone point me to a web site where there is more info about it?

What I would like to know, is type of Aircraft used, Airfields attacked, Time of day (think it was 0500am) What bases did the German come from, Weather on that bay and so on.

Any help would be much appriciated

Thank you

UPS, could a moderater plz move this Topic to the prober Forum! :oops:
RAF_Loke
Erich
Enthusiast

Bodenplatte

Post by Erich »

type in Bodenplatte on your search engine and something like Yankee 1944 should pop up. Run by Dutch web-master and friend Ron Putz and co-assisted by Dutch historian John Manhro. This is basically all you are going to need as well as their forthcoming book on the air/ground battle. The sheer size and detail that has gone into this one work is amazing. Most of December and the Ardenne campaign is covered from the Germans as well as the Allies point of view when concerning the air war in late 44 through early 1945.

A long expected work and all you will ever need on 1-1-45.

Erich

A little something for you to do some research on. At present there are maybe 5 books dealing with this air raid in some sort. There were approximately 35 single engine gruppen involved with the inclusion of a couple of bomber units, one of them KG 51 with the Me 262A-2.

The single engine day fighters were led by 1-3 German Ju 88G-1 or G-6 night fighters towards the occupied airfields throughout the region. The day fighters acting in the jabo or dive bombing roles. Most of the young pilots had never been involved with something like this and the mission was totally unfamiliar to them.

JG 1 had 80-85 a/c
JG 2 had 140-160 a/c
JG 3, the most successful on this mission had 68-75 a/c
JG 4 had 50-55 a/c and nearly got lost !
JG 6 had 60-75 a/c
JG 11 had 60-70 a/c and was almost slaughterd by the US 352nd fighter group
JG 26, along with III./JG 54 and a staffel of JG 104 had 165-180 a/c
JG 27 with IV./JG 54 had 80-90 a/c
JG 53 had 45-55 a/c
JG 77 had 100-110 a/c

the German Air-bases ranged from JG 6, JG 26, 1 and 27 way to the north in Holland to JG 53's Bf 109G's from as far south as Pforzheim .

E
RAF_Loke

Post by RAF_Loke »

Thank you Erich,

The reason for me to ask about this raid is, that I'm a part of a Combat Flight Simulator Group called RAF662. http://www.raf662.com

Now you see, one of our members RAF_Yank was a P-47 Fighter pilot during the war. And he was a part of that raid and now I like to make that as a mission in Combat Flight Simulator 3.
And I try very hard to make the missions as close to what really happen as possible. Which is not always that easy!

Anyway thanks again :wink:.
RAF_Loke