This is a typo, right?

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Richard Hargreaves
Author

This is a typo, right?

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

"Trügen" in the last sentence surely must be a typo for "tragen" - I've checked the original text; I thought it was my dodgy typing, but it's definitely "trügen" in the original...
Am Nachmittag findet eine Zusammenkunft der Reichs- und Gauleiter statt, vor der der Führer spricht. Der Führer ist innerlich außerordentlich aufgeschlossen. Er entwickelt in seiner Ansprache die ganze Situation, von einem hohen Standpunkt aus gesehen. Er spricht fast drei Stunden mit einem unvorstellbaren Erfolg. Gleich zu Beginn betont er, daß er sich nur in diesem Kreise wohl fühle, da seine alten Parteigenossen auch jetzt wieder die Garanten des Sieges seien, nicht nur in der Heimat, sondern auch für die Front. Sie seien die Exponenten des politischen Kampfes und trügen auch die ganze moralische Haltung des Volkes.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: This is a typo, right?

Post by fridgeman »

You are on the right track, "trügen" is just the conjuntive 2 Präteritum Aktiv, to make it short another form of tragen ;)
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Ah, thank you, Fridgman. I must brush up on my knowledge of the conjuntive 2 Präteritum Aktiv mood. :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Quax der Bruchpilot
Supporter

Post by Quax der Bruchpilot »

Its correct. "Trügen" is conjuctiv of "tragen". It means: "as if they would carry me" instead "they do carry me".
See attachment
trügen.PNG
trügen.PNG (26.39 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
ljadw
Supporter

Post by ljadw »

reminds me of the good (?) old days of the lessons of Latin and Greek grammar . 8)
ljadw
Supporter

Post by ljadw »

A question : would the Konjunctiv II Praeteritum Aktiv 8) be the sama as the as the Gegenwart der Mogligkeitsform:
ex :ich moege :?
Quax der Bruchpilot
Supporter

Certainly :shock:

(after 55 years of native German I heard "trügen" for the first time in my life. I thought i would be good to add the proof of existance) :evil: :evil:
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

ljwad, yeah its the same.

@ Quax, you are right, the konjunktiv is pretty much out of usage nowadays.

People would say "habe getragen" or "hätte getragen" or other "weird grammar" sentences ;)
Quax der Bruchpilot
Supporter

GOEBBELS had a doctor degree in German literature. He certainly would have preferred "trügen"; however the word also means "deceiving".