Help identify this troop

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Reb8

Help identify this troop

Post by Reb8 »

Can any one identify the troop?
Attachments
Luf2
Luf2
Luf2.jpg (175.22 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
Reb8

Re: Help identify this troop

Post by Reb8 »

I think I have part of the answer, I still would like to know more if anyone can see something I can't in the photo.
German Luftwaffe, I believe they are a Luftwaffe Field Division.
One of the fellows from the group picture
One of the fellows from the group picture
Luf1.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

A guess. And I do mean a guess, regarding the chap abpve would be that as his tunic appears very similar in colour to the collar tabs that he belongs to a Luftwaffe medical unit. But it's only a guess. Difficult to judge from the photo as there is not alot of contrast difference in the two.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Reb8

Post by Reb8 »

Simon H wrote:A guess. And I do mean a guess, regarding the chap abpve would be that as his tunic appears very similar in colour to the collar tabs that he belongs to a Luftwaffe medical unit. But it's only a guess. Difficult to judge from the photo as there is not alot of contrast difference in the two.
Medical Unit is one I had not thought of, Thanks
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Reb8 wrote:
Simon H wrote:A guess. And I do mean a guess, regarding the chap abpve would be that as his tunic appears very similar in colour to the collar tabs that he belongs to a Luftwaffe medical unit. But it's only a guess. Difficult to judge from the photo as there is not alot of contrast difference in the two.
Medical Unit is one I had not thought of, Thanks
If this was a Medical Unit I think at least one of them would wear a "Äskulapstab" Rod of Asclepius badge on his Uniform. In the front row none of them is wearing one.
Alex_Connolly

Post by Alex_Connolly »

I agree none of them are wearing any medical symbols whatsoever, it is difficult to see the colour of the tabs on the collars, I would hazard a guess that they are green my Grandfather was in the field division and going by his picture the contrast on the black and white photographs is almost the same..
ealdwita

Post by ealdwita »

I doubt it'll help much, but I think at least 2 of the Senior NCOs in the front row are wearing the Flakartillerie branch insignia on their cuffs.