Normandy Sitmaps

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

david ss

Re: Normandy Sitmaps

Post by david ss »

Rich wrote:
david ss wrote:Hi,
Have you seen a map that shows the deployment of the Artillerie-Regiment 191 of 91. Luftlande-Division in the spring of 1944, among the Normandy maps?
Will this do? :D Okay, sorry, I guess nevermind, I can never get an image to upload here, :evil: but I posted it to AHF a while ago, I'll see if I can dig out the link for you.
First ... thanks "PaulJ" for taking time to post. I should have been more specific, because I am looking for a complete and color copy of the map that "Rich" posted ... showing a detailed placing of the Artillerie-Regiment 191 batteries.

Secondly ... thanks "Rich" for posting the map. As mentioned above I am looking for a copy of that map in color and complete, in order to confirm a date and also possibly confirm that the batteries around Ste Marie du Mont (two batteries in circle) are part of this Artillerie-Regiment. Maybe the color of the circle is the same as the other Artillerie-Regiment 191 of 91. Luftlande-Division units on the map. More importantly is the date though.
We have talked previously, and you sent me a copy of this map you've posted here. For your reference ... I was creating the "D-Day at Brecourt" website.

Thanks again
David
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

david ss wrote:Secondly ... thanks "Rich" for posting the map. As mentioned above I am looking for a copy of that map in color and complete, in order to confirm a date and also possibly confirm that the batteries around Ste Marie du Mont (two batteries in circle) are part of this Artillerie-Regiment. Maybe the color of the circle is the same as the other Artillerie-Regiment 191 of 91. Luftlande-Division units on the map. More importantly is the date though.
We have talked previously, and you sent me a copy of this map you've posted here. For your reference ... I was creating the "D-Day at Brecourt" website.

Thanks again
David
Hi David,

I wondered if it was you, but its been a while and I've had other requests, Brian Siddall for one has also been interested. Do you know him? If not, you two should chat, he's been tracing the casualty, initial burial, and final burial locations of all 82nd and 101st troopers on D-Day and so has quite an interest in German locations.

As for the original, the color version is only going to be available at BAMA since it was part of the returned records collection. Unfortunately it is difficult to know how BAMA would have filed it, but some other members may know? The date is almost certainly from mid May (it was interfiled with records from that period, which isn't conclusive, but...), so probably represents the initial dispositions of the division as it arrived. OTOH the 7. Armee daily sitreps don't mention any location changes that I recall, so the units probably stayed pretty much in their initial positions.

Rich
david ss

Post by david ss »

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking maybe someone had bumped into this map while searching for others. I think I'll end the search for it now though, and be content with your answers relating to it.

David
thanks also for mentioning Brian Siddall.