Surplus Shermans - the Vickers "Shervick" tractor

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

Surplus Shermans - the Vickers "Shervick" tractor

Post by phylo_roadking »

After WWII, a considerable number of "British" Shermans, particularly M4A2s, were converted by Vickers into the Vickers Shervick "tractor" for the ill-fated "Groundnut Scheme" - a scheme funded by the Attlee government to cultivate peanuts in Africa.

The conversion involved shortening the whole body of the vehicle (turretless) from three bogies on a side to two , and the creation of a whole new rear-engined crawler-tractor body on top.

However - I have only ONE bad picture of this "wonderful" vehicle....and unforunately it's from BENEATH as it's being loaded or unloaded from a ship by crane. Does anyone have a better pic they can post???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Not exactly what you're looking, but still Shermans...
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra ... hshare.htm

- and this!
(Thanks to Adam "Von Poop. Hope he doesn't mind, so hurry and "grab" it now before it's gone!) :D
http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-today/22782-ww ... -life.html

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Have seen the top linked site before, and seen film of the Lincolnshire tractor in action...

But the BOTTOM pic is the sort of pic I was looking for...AND has thrown up an oddity. I suppose it was bloody bound to LMAO

Look at the controls in the open "cab" - was the Shervick supposed to run single-speed IN REVERSE??? It certainly looks like it.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds