Kormoran wreck found off WA

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

You might want to check out this thread.
http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=5348.0

The Kormorand fired at least 2 torpedos at Sydney one hit just before or just under the fore turret the other just missed the bow. The wrechage that was detected some distance from both the battle site and the Sydney is thought to be her bow by some on that board.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

As most incidents which involve the americans
Almost sure that no Americans are involved in this one. Has to do with AUSTRALIANS.
possibility of maybe a 3rd party apart from the HMAS Sydney and the Kormoran is being investigated
Never heard of this one. Any links or info to elaborate? Could be good reading.
Did Germany need to disguise their cruisers in 1941?
My uneducated guess would be Yes. Anything not disguised and flying the German Naval Ensign was almost sure to come under attack.

I have read some more aticles and yes, torpedoes were fired at the Sydney.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
German Born
Supporter

Post by German Born »

German Born wrote:
phylo_roadking wrote:From the Kormoran
6 x 5.9 inch (150 mm) guns, 2 x 37 mm anti-tank guns, 5 x 20 mm FlaK anti-aircraft guns, 2 x twin 533 mm (21 inch) torpedo batteries a

bove the waterline; two single tubes below, 390 mines
As most incidents which involve the americans there is usually a conspiracy theory attached.This is one such incident and the possibility of maybe a 3rd party apart from the HMAS Sydney and the Kormoran is being investigated as this article is written.The findings of the investigation will most probably throw all educated guesses right out the window mate.Did Germany need to disguise their cruisers in 1941?
I would like to retract my last statement as it is incorrect and apologise to any person who may have been offended.It was a mistake on my behalf.
Just another brick in the wall 1961-1989
Srgt Rock

Post by Srgt Rock »

I believe that with the discovery of the wrecks of both ships and their distance from one another, lends greater credit to the German account of the final battle.

The Germans observed a sudden flare up of the fires on Sydney around midnight that would possibly indicate a large secondary explosion on board Sydney. Had Sydney quickly sunk after that explosion, it would have been even more difficult for any survivors to launch any intact floats or life boats.

I also think the distance between the sinking of the two ships, should remove all speculation that the reason there were no survivors is because the Germans sunk any life boats that were launched.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

should remove all speculation that the reason there were no survivors is because the Germans sunk any life boats that were launched
I never heard there was any speculation of the Germans sinking the life boats. The Kormoran sank first. At the end of the war the Captain of the Kormoran was cleared of any wrong doing and crimes at sea by the AUSTRALIAN war commission.
hubertus
Supporter

Post by hubertus »

Good on you,Sniper1,

Rock is of @#%.
JägerMarty
Supporter

Post by JägerMarty »

German Born wrote:
JägerMarty wrote:Reports elsewhere mention the wreck is upright and complete. Complete apart from the missing bow section that appears to have broken off.
May explain a quick sinking with crew not being able to lower lifeboats?
They reckon about 25m of bow is missing, prob from torpedo damage
Probably Torpedo damage?Where from?
The reports I've read say the Kormoran fired torpedoes at he Sydney, in addition to normal gunfire.

I don't believe the Jap submarine theories for a minute by the way. Pure fantasy dreamt up by the govt and/or media of the time
JägerMarty
Supporter

Post by JägerMarty »

sniper1shot wrote:[
possibility of maybe a 3rd party apart from the HMAS Sydney and the Kormoran is being investigated
Never heard of this one. Any links or info to elaborate? Could be good reading.

In Aus there have been "theories" that a Japanese sub worked with the Kormoran to sink Sydney. So bad it's laughable.
Which is just utter garbage invented by an embarrassed govt because an Aussie battleship was junk by a raider so close to home.
hubertus
Supporter

Post by hubertus »

Hi Marty,

Very well sad.
i wonder if any of the people making comments on this subject have read the book"The Raider KORMORAN"
By Cdr.Theodor Detmers.
He tells it as it happened.

Hubertus.
Srgt Rock

Post by Srgt Rock »

Hubertus

During the questioning of the German crew after their capture, it was never directly stated that the Germans shot up Sydney's life rafts/boats but it was a line of questioning that was followed.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Yes, I have read the book and still have it.
I have to say I have never heard of the Japanese sub story.....I guess anything is possible though.
During the questioning of the German crew after their capture, it was never directly stated that the Germans shot up Sydney's life rafts/boats but it was a line of questioning that was followed.
I did not know this.....

While on the subject of Raiders, check out these books:
Ghost Cruiser HK 33 by H.J. Brennecke (about the Pinguin)
The Secret Raiders by David Woodward (brief bio-story on all the Raiders)