Last German unit to surrender in World War 2

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Lsuglia

Last German unit to surrender in World War 2

Post by Lsuglia »

I'm wondering what the last German unit to surrender was and where they were located at the time of surrender. I understand that in mid May, there was a sizable, intact army in either Hungery or Czechoslovakia that threatened to "fight their way back" if not given safe passage back to Germany. Does anyone have that information? Thanks, Lsuglia
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

I know that by by the 6th of May, the soldiers of the 2nd American Infantry Division captured 8000 Nazi POW in the area between Domazlice, Horsovsky Tyn, and Holysov.

On the 6th of May also, There is also that the soldiers of the 87th American Infantry Division who accepted the formal surrender of over 40000 Wehrmacht & Waffen-SS troops who were retreating in Czechoslovakia and the mountains of Bavaria where they would continue to fight.

Regards
Last edited by Benoit Douville on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

I believe there was a German weather station up in Greenland (?) That surrendered some months after the war ended.

Also, weren't these surrendered German units turned over to the Russians? Definatley not the Allies most memorable moment.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Benoit Douville
Contributor

If it's true, definetely no a bright idea to surrender to the Soviets...

Regards
KG voss
Supporter

Post by KG voss »

Hello,

I think the units in the Kurland pocket officially surrendered the 9th of may. Also I guess the weather station unit was the one in the spitzberg island !?

but in the end, don't you think it is a U-Boot crew that surrendered the last when they reached Argentina ? Just asking ...

Olivier
Benoit Douville
Contributor

To be exact, by May 12 1945 approximately 135 000 German troops surrendered in the Kurland Pocket. On May 23, the Soviet collection of the German troops in the Kurland Pocket was completed.

Regards
Last edited by Benoit Douville on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

THIS WAS QUOTED FROM ANOTHER SITE-AHF.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=8796

At the beginning of 1945 Wettertrupp "HAudegen" was asked if they would stay there not until fall 1945 as planed but until fall 1946. They would provide two planes for supply flights. It is interesting to hear that it was planed to continue the war from Norway. As the Trupp hears about the total capitulation they decide to continue their work. As the russians they start to send out their reports without code in clear text.
On 3.September 1945 a norwegian ship comes by and picks up the Trupp "Haudegen". On 4.Septemer 1945 Prof.Dr.Dege the commander of it had to sign a capitulation document.

Wettertrupp "HAudegen" is the last german unit to surrender on 4.September 1945.

I know you did not ask for all these additional things but maybe you find them interesting.

regards,
Christoph

Kaschner
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.