Operation >NiWi<, the WWII's most neglected operation.

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Michi
Contributor

Operation >NiWi<, the WWII's most neglected operation.

Post by Michi »

Why is the Operation "NiWi" one of the most neglected and overseen operation during the WWII??

Any suggestions??

10th May 1940
“Operation Niwi”:

~ 400 men of the III.Btl./“Großdeutschland” are land with 98 Fieseler Storch planes in the area of NIves (11.Kp. under Hptm.Krüger) and WItry (10.Kp. under Obstlt.Garski).

The groups start at 05:20 at Bitburg and cross the Luxembourg border north of Wallendorf.

05:50 The groups fly over the belgian border at Martelange.

06:00 the Fi.156 of Oberstlt.Garski lands at Witry. The groups also landed at different locations due to navigation errors and enemy fire.

The Nives group gets lost and lands at several different locations.

08:05 The second wave under Lt.Obermeier lands at Nives and cannot find the first wave. He decides to block the road Neufchateau – Bastogne without the first wave units. Here he rejects several enemy attacks during the day. In the evening a french tank-attack with infantry pushes the germans back but they don´t dare to attack a fake-barrier the germans built.

After reassembling Witry is taken at 14:00 against the french Chasseurs Ardennais. 19 losses on the german side. Shortly after that contact to elements of the 1.Pz.Div. (K.S.Btl.1) is established.

The elements at Nives establish contact woth elements of 2.Pz.Div. tomorrow morning.
|---> This is a quotation from Christoph AWENDER's homepage!

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

It's not completly overlooked, Helmuth Spaeter devotes a few pages to the operation in his History of Panzerkorps Großdeutschland. It was a daring operation, but the air-landed units didn't meet much opposition, only their own navigational problems held them back. However, XIX A.K. units consolidated the area and moved westward so rapidly that the meager Belgian forces that might have threatened the south flank never really had a chance to have any impact.

Jerry
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Hello Jerry,

your mentioned example is not of that one I wanted.
Your mentioned book is about the unit itself, so it is almost a must to have the "NiWi"-operation in it!

BUT on the other side, have a look into the WorldWideWeb for "NiWi", and you will find units like commandos, Brandenburgers, Parachuters, and even SS, which were the unit making the Operation "NiWi".
Also the numbers of the Fieseler Fi 156 "Storch" taking part variables from source to another!!

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Hi Michi,

Ah yes, now I understand. You are correct.

I thought you ment overlooked by people who should "know" about it, and just tried to point out that it is not well known because it didn't really have much impact.

Jerry
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

BUT I have to say thank you for your source, you mentioned.
I will have a look into it!!

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau