Kaserne question

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
pzrmeyer2

Kaserne question

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Just west of Berlin/Staaken, near the old Olympic Village along the B5 is an old abandoned Kaserne. It obviously once housed Soviet troops. Does anyone know the name of this Kaserne from its Wehrmacht days and the units stationed there?
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

Hello Pzrmeyer2,

Do you mean Fort Hahneberg in Staaken ?
Or do you mean "Lowen Adler Kaserne" in Dallgow-Döberitz ?
This Kaserne is situated in front of the old airfield "Priort-Döberitz"
Both are on the B5
I think Fort Hahneberg was used in WWII.

Please check the link below.
This is not the history of the kaserne; but maybve you can find some information you need.
http://www.parldok.brandenburg.de/parla ... 0/2158.pdf

I hope this helps you further.

Cheers,

Quasimodo
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Thanks so much! I think it must be the Loewen and Adler Kasernen, as this is more in Doeberitz and not in Staaken. I quickly read through your attachment--thanks for that too. Now, I may have missed it--did it say what the disposition of the old Kasernen was going to be?

I remember jumping the fence and walking around the areas of those old buildings a few years back...If those walls could talk! I'm very nostalgic for old places like that...hopefully they wont be torn down but in the new Germany, I'm fearful that will be their fate....
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

Hello Pzrmeyer2,

Sorry, my German is to poor to understand everything, but as far as I understand there was nothing mentioned regarding the future of this kaserne.

Restoring old military buildings is very interesting for us, since we love bunkers, fort's, kasernes and so on.
But after restoring, what can you do with this kind of infrastructure ?
It cost millions of € without any return on investment ?
I think we need to think about it.

Cheers,

Quasimodo