BullSh**

A place to relocate messages and threads that should be deleted.
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

In less than 15 posts a thread turns into TOTAL BULLSH**!

Shame on those to blame and a shame for those who are not.
It's a sorry sight seeing Feldgrau and especially Soldatenheim in this state,
sad to see how short-fused people are or have become over the past few months.
Sad seeing the daily quarrels, mud slinging, name calling etc.

Please, bring back some humour and fun to what was once
(also in WW2!) a place of relaxation and fun... THE SOLDATENHEIM!

Hopefully for everyone something will be done.

Feldgrauian regards

waleed
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

I hope it's still out there, Piet. I hope you're right. I would hate to think that yet another of my posts has been sent to an involuntary Feldgrau gulag, simply because an as yet unknown entity-of-a-moderator got just a little too itchy on the old trigger.
Erwin Leibold 26.7.1942
AAA
Contributor

Post by AAA »

It'd be a pity to see research quality posters like Qvist leave Feldgrau alone for any reason ... I've come to the conclusion if I was wanting modern politics I'd switch on the news for PC or the blogs for un-PC, and if I wanted personal conflict I'd go down the local for a drink and watch a argument/fisticuffs/domestic/fight/melee, but there's few places to turn for a serious WWII history fix.
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi Paddy,

Thanks very much for your confidence in me, it is much appreciated. However, I am probably seen as too much of a hot head myself, ever to be considered as a mod. Although, I would welcome the opportunity.

Uli, your comment in the 'Stalin's Killers' thread, that I could "...ban you if I wish", had passed me by until I saw your comment above - "...an as yet unknown entity-of-a-moderator".

Care to clarify your musings for me?
Jock
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Jock wrote:
Uli, your comment in the 'Stalin's Killers' thread, that I could "...ban you if I wish", had passed me by until I saw your comment above - "...an as yet unknown entity-of-a-moderator".

Care to clarify your musings for me?
No, but thanks for the offer! :wink:
Erwin Leibold 26.7.1942
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

As I read this, I think a thought is gelling. There seems to be a disconnect as to what is "fair" when it comes to arguing points.

Now, there's no harm in posting an opinion. If Erik posts something about a 'discussion' about harshness of foreign occupation, for example, and adds his opinion, I see nothing wrong with that. But, I think this is where the problem lies.

In a situation like this, Erik isn't from a country that has endured a foreign occupation for a long time. The last war within our borders was our own doing. Thus, his perception of such an event is radically different from most Europeans.

Then there is a disagreement over what can be considered 'fair' during a discussion. There are several factors in that. How one was raised, cultural mores, national attitudes, and things of that nature all factor in. That all of this has to be typed doesn't help. I know for my part, if I use improper spelling, I think folks can tell the difference in my attitude. If I refer to you as an 'idjit,' it doesn't mean quite the same as me calling you an 'idiot.'

By all means, disagree with a poster! But, as Sid says, "play the ball, not the man." Don't just sit and argue opinions. Like rectums, we all have one, and they all stink. Arguing opinions turns into a useless p*ssing contest.

Rather, justify your opinions by referencing whatever they're based on. I've had several opinions change because someone posted something that showed that what I had based my opinion on was faulty. That should be the core of a research forum. Show why the posters opinion is faulty (in your opinion) and give him the opportunity to reevaluate his stance.

This is merely a symptom of the overall malaise, if in fact is has validity. It could just be a product of my fatigued mind, so take it for what it's worth.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Tom - the real problem is a variant of what you say;

A certain percentage of people come here to learn.

A certain percentage come here to confirm what they know is correct.

A certain percentage come here with opinions rather than knowledge.

A certain percentage come here with opinions AS knowledge,

A certain percentage come here with knowledge to diseminate it.

A certain percentage come here with knowledge intent on changing opinions.

Use of the Internet, being prepared to "put pen to paper" in a public arena, requires a certain..."fortitude". Add in the above mess all the vagaries of personality...!

Like it or not, Moderators are here to deal with ALL the above variaions, as by its very nature a public forum attracts people who WANT to say something. They can't be "hands-off" or "hands-on" as a matter of policy...it has to vary for every particular thread.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

I have to say I used to post regularly here. I still do sporadically, but I am at the point of saying "Guten Tag" and using other fora instead.

I used to think that AHF was the "nutters' forum" and Feldgrau was for serious research but these days I fear it's the other way around.

I don't want a forum where threads are hijacked and turn into a p*ssing contest or ranting ping-pong with both sides equally entrenched. I mean, just look at the cr*p written in the Myth of the Eastern Front thread. Hello, there are thousands of books out there, but no, we just rant about one day-in, day-out.

I don't want a forum where a vocal few drown out the more sensible reasonings of the less vocal majority.

I want a forum where I can pick people's brains about books, documents, check facts, seek help with translations, and in return offer my limited knowledge to help like-minded historians out.

There are some hugely intelligent people on here, real doyens of military history whom I admire and if we're not careful, they're going to foxtrot oscar. We should be honoured that people like Doug Nash and Mark Yerger are on here.

Instead we get halfwit know-it-alls and agenda monkeys hammering away at each other.

I feel really sorry for Jason, Tom, et al, guys who work hard by day, have a passion for military history, and then have to wade through all the cr*p that's been posted on their forum. They have much more patience and tolerance than me, because I'd have pulled this forum by now and just kept the reference site running. But anyone who knows me, knows I'm not a patient chap. :D

Right, back to book three, the Siege of Breslau (aka How the Glorious Blond Knights kept the Pillaging Red Beasts at Bay for Four Months... or The Glorious Red Army's Liberation of the Industrial Powerhouse of the Fascist Beast...).
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I don't want a forum where threads are hijacked and turn into a p*ssing contest or ranting ping-pong with both sides equally entrenched. I mean, just look at the cr*p written in the Myth of the Eastern Front thread. Hello, there are thousands of books out there, but no, we just rant about one day-in, day-out.
Right!

Well, we're all sick of this nonsense. Feldgrau was conceived and meant for years a true forum for research, not for rhetorical nonsense. We're back in force--supported by the mass of our members to restore our reputation and cleanse the Forum of annoyingrhetoricians.

I'm asking EVERYONE to report to me or another moderator any abuse of our beloved Forum. Any abuser will be dealt with--even if I have to delete a thousand posts!!!

Very Best,
~D, the EviL--aka, Jack the Ripper
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

I'm curious why our most objective moderator, Dave, hasnt addressed this complete personal attack:
Tom, I generally stay away from pzrmeyer2's posting but that time I had enough.

He posted an article in which he underlined some sentences - which was clear for me what he's after. Then he asks one question - quite loosly connected withe the exact text of that article. My comments were aimed at his (mis)interpretation of written text, like:

- according to pzrmeyer2 France = whole EU (I ommit the 'EUSSR' connotation...),
- pzrmeyer2 asked where did LePen deny the H, while it was written in black he is to be tried for making quite relativistic remarks about German occupation in certain countries,

and answering his questions.

At first it didn't mattered to pzrmeyer2 what LePen said, a post later it did and in the end it didn't matter either... Huh? What was he really after? Why did he post in such a manner? 'Ok, here's a piece of interesting article. Let's post it, see who and how comments and then start the usual conduct... again'.

Then he fluidly moved to mud slinging (idiot sheeple, fcukheads) and hypocrisy (eg. denigrating Dr Krollspell's contribution into forum because he also had some 'meaningless' posts in 'What are you listening to right now' thread while no longer than few days before pzrmeyer2 did post there too!).

I'm not much into politics (which seems to be pzrmeyers2 point of interest), high-temperature arguments and arguing for the sake of argument so I left that topic after 2 or so posts. These already were too many...

And that's also why I'm going not to post more in this thread either. Nor in any other pzrmeyer2's future threads on Soldatenheim (I didn't check this but I'm almost sure that vast majority of his recent input into Feldgrau comes from this section...). Waste of time.

Regards,

MJU

BTW, that thread had mysteriously dissapeared from forum...

Ive never once had any negative conversations with this person, yet he is allowed to sling ad homina with impunity. This again confirms the inherant hypocrisy and double standards meted out by folks like moderator Dave, a biased, non objective, person if there ever was one. Apparently if enough people cry and whine and bitch and moan, they can steer the direction of the site away from objective and thought provoking discussion to spoon-fed, sanitzed versions of history. And of course, they are allowed to sling as much mud as they want, but run away like little fairies when it comes back around at them. WHich confirms the earlier contention, SOME FOLKS HERE ARE PROTECTED FROM THE RULES APPLYING TO THEM. Its not about personal morailty, then , but behavior is judged one how one stands on the issues. And its not the nature of the evidence, its just the seriousness of the charge that counts.

Keep up the witch hunt, boys. keeping looking for nazis under every post. maybe it will build your self esteem, fulfilling a fantasy that makes up for the failures and weaknesses of your lives. Regardless, it doesnt change reality. It doesnt change what is actually happening now, nor what the objective truth was then.
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

oh come on. Personal attack here, personal attack there. Aren't you getting tired of playing the same song over and over again? Please stop acting like a victom.
Let's contribute in the way of some research you have done about the german army or it's allies for once.

If you don't want personal attacks on things you write, stop writing or chose other things or words.
What's the saying in english: don't throw stones if you live in a glass house?

Piet
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Halder is right in his comments below.

Moved my comments to a PM to moderator.
Last edited by Paulus II on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Well, despite the Commissar's pleas, cooler heads seemingly have not prevailed. I'm off until things calm down on here. I suggest some members look at 1914-1918.net to see how a military history forum can, and should, be conducted...

There's just no decorum in this forum.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

pzrmeyer2 wrote: , SOME FOLKS HERE ARE PROTECTED FROM THE RULES APPLYING TO THEM.
Here we go yet AGAIN.

Whom is protecting whom? David, Tom and Sniper1shot (the only active Moderators on this forum) have all openly stated they are not protecting anybody. You are now effectively declaring them all liars. It is unacceptable, and very damaging to the forum.

Just as it unacceptable to accuse me of falsifying your contributions, lying, breaking forum rules and committing “offences” without providing a single shred of evidence, when challenged.

Just as it unacceptable to call people “idiot sheeple” and fcukheads etc. etc….

I believe your behaviour and conduct on here has become unacceptable. Despite being banned previously for stating that you hoped another member had his “throat cut” you were given another chance to contribute to this forum. It seems clear to me and many, many others here that you have let down those that opted to give you another chance and those few who lobbied for your return.

You are backing yourself into a corner.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

halder wrote:Well, despite the Commissar's pleas, cooler heads seemingly have not prevailed. I'm off until things calm down on here. I suggest some members look at 1914-1918.net to see how a military history forum can, and should, be conducted...

There's just no decorum in this forum.
I agree with your sentiments Halder, but I believe this situation has now reached a point where a more direct approach is needed.
Up The Tigers!