According to the Sun

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

According to the Sun

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

"Nothing is as bad as that night" according to the McCanns (of missing daughter infamy)...

Not even the first day on the Somme, perhaps?

I have had it up to here with the media obsession with this family. Still, at least we've got the Princess Di inquest to keep us busy for the next six months now. :shock:

Is every other country's media as superficial and lowest common denominator as ours? :?
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Just six? God, you're hopeful! The Daily Express has got ten years'-worth of headlines out of Diana...!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Ah, but Madeleine has taken over... (something like two months constantly on the front page... despite no actual news to report...)

What if Madeleine was the reincarnation of Di. The perfect story for the Express... :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

BAD TASTE SPOILER.....

Post by phylo_roadking »

The one original thing I've seen or heard yet...

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Allegedly... :D
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

oooh dear... I know what you mean tho!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Forget it Guys!!!

Princess Di and the Macanns will always generate more press interest than a nearly forgotten war like WWI! :( :( :(

Hell, who remembers Verdun or any other battle in WWI, except for us? That's why we are here--to remember past sacrifices as opposed to modern media B.S.

All of us are faced daily with the absurd thought of reading about Britney Spears or reading about battles that cost hundreds of thousands of lives. Let's not fall into the trap of forgetting about Feldgrau's mission--to preserve an historical account of things that truly matter, as opposed to the daily common B.S. of the media!

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Halder wrote:
Still, at least we've got the Princess Di inquest to keep us busy for the next six months now
Well you know thats not going to be the end of it. I will bet my left testicle that if the Inquiry's verdict isn't to Fayed's liking he will be screaming conspiracy, conspiracy, bloody conspiracy again. :evil:

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

I'm not usually this chauvenistic but in one area America leads the world and that's for sure: the pathetic state of our news media.

But not to assume that our print media is any better. One goes to the grocery store and looks at the magazines at the check out counter. Angelina loses weight, Angelina is breaking up with Brad etc ad nauseaum.

the truly frightening part of it is that people buy this crap by the bushel basket.

We have a long to go even to achieve medicocrity! :oops:

cheers
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Reb wrote:I'm not usually this chauvenistic but in one area America leads the world and that's for sure: the pathetic state of our news media.

But not to assume that our print media is any better. One goes to the grocery store and looks at the magazines at the check out counter. Angelina loses weight, Angelina is breaking up with Brad etc ad nauseaum.

the truly frightening part of it is that people buy this crap by the bushel basket.

We have a long to go even to achieve medicocrity! :oops:

cheers
Well the 24/7 News outlets have so much time to fill, that many of the news stories aren't news but gossip items, and the print media just enforces the celebrity/infamy culture above real news.

Regards

Andy H
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Interesting when I was at journalism college 15 years ago we had a long debate about the proliferation of media (this was in the pre-internet days).

Would more channels mean more choice... or more dross? We didn't know the answer then. We do now. :(

24 hours is interesting because it actually makes people less informed rather than more. Because news editors want instant news, they want instant pundits, instant reaction. It can take hours, days, months for the truth of an incident to emerge. But what's reported in those initial minutes becomes embedded in the conscience of people and it is almost impossible to shift. :?

I used to enjoy being a journalist but the profession has really gone to pot this past decade. :shock:
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

it didn't lead straight from one channel to dross - there was a more "interesting" side road taken ....

More channels of communication means more ways of reaching the public. Targeting their specific tastes and interests. Catering for them...

What we DID find was perhaps...and more disappointingly...just HOW many people actually WANT dross...!!!

A huge percentage of the population HAS become the Proles of "1984" - all they WANT is gin and p0rn!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

phylo_roadking wrote:
A huge percentage of the population HAS become the Proles of "1984" - all they WANT is gin and p0rn!
I must be part of the tiny percentage. I hate gin. :wink:
Up The Tigers!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

mediocrity gentlemen. Hardly a worthy a goal but one which most of our fellow citizens seem to striving for.

But its like zen - you spend your whole life striving to attain nothingness - and then you get it! :D

cheers
Reb
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Ach, Reb, nil satis nisi optimum. :D