marksman lanyards

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

ReinhardH
Supporter

marksman lanyards

Post by ReinhardH »

This is another from the group of photos of my father's swearing-in ceremony at the end of about five months basic training at the base just south of Salzburg. I believe this is my father's company, which was a 'schwere Kompanie' (as far as I know, one for every battalion of five companies). A 'schwere Kompanie' would have had few to no snipers attached to it, compared to a 'leichte Kompanie'.
Only recently became aware of marksmanship lanyards, so now I'm curious as to what individuals would have earned them (riflemen, artillery, tankers, etc). Or was this limited to riflemen only?
If these aren't marksman lanyards in the photo, them please correct me...

Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

The "Schützenschnur" has nothing to do with the duty as a sniper.
It can be earned in yearly shooting contests. According to the points you shoot you get the various levels of the Schützenschnur.

\Christoph
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

Now it all makes more sense :D Vielen Dank!
mightythor99
Enthusiast

more info for ya!

Post by mightythor99 »

here's a link, showing two different types...........both for army, one is earlier then the other one. i think one with swords is later model. they were also issued to luftwaffe, came in blue and silver intertwined cords, with a luft eagle, not sure if it is for rifle shooting or for airial shooting, also tankers had a model, also, not sure if that is for gunners (cannon), or for rifle shooting.
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/shuttles/milataria.html
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!