What were some Waffen SS Unit nicknames?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Matthias

What were some Waffen SS Unit nicknames?

Post by Matthias »

The reason I am asking is that I remember reading somewhere about a Waffen SS unit that was nicknamed the Fire Brigade mainly because it was sent from action to action putting out "fires." This unit also had a special emblem painted on its vehicles. Does anyone have an idea on what unit this could be?

Well the real reason I am asking is that I am writing a "historical fiction" novel and one of the main characters hails from an SS unit. If I were to guess I probably say that the "fire brigade" was the 2nd SS but of course I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Matthias
Christoph Awender
Patron

unit

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello Matthias!

It was no particular unit as all detachements which served as mobile reserves were called "Frontfeuerwehr".
In the last stages of the war divisions, Korps, Armies formed Kampfgruppen to help when local forces were overrun etc...
So if somewhere was fire they came....

Christoph
Juha Hujanen
Supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen »

I remenber that i read a account when Dirlewanger unit was referred as "Knochensturm",or "Assault Bones".

Cheers/Juha
Karhufin
areilley

Unit Nicknames

Post by areilley »

Jochen Peiper's 3rd Bat. of SS PzGrn Reg.2 ( 1SS PZGrn Div. Leibstandarte) was known as the 'blow torch' Bat. and had a blow torch painted on its vehicles in 1943 in Russia.
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

Because so many SS regiments and abteilungen had official names, few nicknames were ever really needed.
Myrtle-the-turtle

Post by Myrtle-the-turtle »

The "blowtorch" group. Was this a reference to them actually having set fire to lots of stuff in Russia, or was it just a boastful symbol? Maybe some of both? Just curious.
Ethelian

Post by Ethelian »

It was called the "Blow Torch" because of the tactics it used to break through the Russian lines

Later
Ethelian
Kameraden
Contributor

Post by Kameraden »

Sorry Ethelian.

I have to Disagree with you on that.
Pieper himself stated that the Allies tried to Use the Nickname as evidence of Atrocities after the war.

They stated that it was because the unit burned down villages etc.
Pieper states that they were called that because they used Blow Torches to warm up the engines of their Vehicles when they became so cold they would'nt start in winter and the nickname was completely innocent.

Check out this link'and read the Italics

http://www.geocities.com/wolfram55/jjp.html

Whats your source of information for your interpretation?

Thanx
Ethelian

Post by Ethelian »

I got my "idea from "Jochen Peiper"by Patrick Agte.I thought it was in reference to his rescue of the 367th(?) Infantry division?I could be wrong about the divisional unit number but i thought that was were they got the name from because of the way they "blowtorched" their way through the Russian lines?

I can check if you are interested?

Later
Ethelian