saluting in greatcoats

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

someone

saluting in greatcoats

Post by someone »

I have another small question.

For some reason, every german wwii era trench coat and greatcoat i tried seems to be very impractical to salute in.

Because of the design of the sleeve, and the way the coat is made, when you raise your hand above 90 degrees the entire coat lifts up.

Maybe its because they are old and inflexible, but i have seen greatcoats in VERY good condition, and even they do it.

It looks quiet funny. if i try to salute, the entire coat rises about maybe 10cm.

So...how exactly did the german troops salute their fuhrer in these coats?

I think also that saluting puts quiet a strain on the shoulders and chest of the coat, and if you do it quickly they may even break.

Does anyone know anythgin about this?

Thank you.
I am someone. You do not know me. (probably).
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Ah! Are you saluting in the British style? In that case, you might risk not only deranging your coat but ripping the seam. On the other hand, the German Heer (and KM and LW) salute did not require the dramatic 180° arc of the arm. The German salute to the cap was like the American salute, the forearm moving forwards and up, bringing the fingertips to the cap at a three-quarter angle to the body, through 14:30 were you to use the nose, viewed from above, as the Midday point. Am I making sense here?

PK
someone

Post by someone »

Thanks for the explanation. Yes...that makes sence. now i understand. I'm pretty sure some WWII films show saluting either overexaggerated or wrong.
I am someone. You do not know me. (probably).