Signal Waffenfarbe

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

ssgrick

Signal Waffenfarbe

Post by ssgrick »

Ok Guys, I'm confused. :?
The way I understand it is if a signalman is assigned to an infantry company he would wear the white waffen farbe and a signal emblem on his sleeve. But, if he was assigned to a Nachrichten Abteilung (hope I said that right) he would wear the lemon yellow waffen farbe and no emblem on his sleeve. Is this right or am I completely off course?
Rick
The only stupid question is one not asked.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

That is correct. Maybe as addition the arrow in the signal badge would also be the colour of the unit -infantry white, artillery red....

\Christoph
ssgrick

Post by ssgrick »

Thanks much. I was hoping I read it right. :D
/Rick
The only stupid question is one not asked.
Lustmolch
Supporter

Post by Lustmolch »

Presumably this is because a member of the Nachrichen Abteilung would be using communications on a regular basis (telephone switchboards, radio stations) whereas a radio operator (Funker) in the infantry or other section would be the only man trained to use the portable radio in the field? Hence the soldier being issued with a badge upon attaining his qualification.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Lustmolch wrote:Presumably this is because a member of the Nachrichen Abteilung would be using communications on a regular basis (telephone switchboards, radio stations) whereas a radio operator (Funker) in the infantry or other section would be the only man trained to use the portable radio in the field? Hence the soldier being issued with a badge upon attaining his qualification.
Yes thats correct.