If you were a 17 year old german in 1941

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
joefraser
Supporter

If you were a 17 year old german in 1941

Post by joefraser »

hi,
If you were a 17 year old in Germany in 1941 what service would you try for? Luftwaffe, kreigsmarine, wermacht or waffen s.s. Bear in mind, you know nothing at all about death camps or attrocities for this hypothetical question. Myself,I would try for the Luftwaffe. Then again, I would probably be turned down for being colour blind like the r.a.f did but that would be my choice. How about anyone else.
regards
Joefraser
Last edited by joefraser on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Tanks!

Something with tanks!

ANYTHING with Tanks! (even just cleaning them....)

:oops:
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Most of the men in my family went to the Waffen SS, so I'd probably follow them.
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

Luftwaffe, of course. Especially Nachtjagdwaffe.

Best Wishes
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Wehrmacht or Waffen-SS its a family tradition to serve in the Infantry.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Well, as my father's family lived (lives) in Graz, Steiermark in Austria (or to be correct à la 1941 - the Ostmark part of the Deutsches Reich), I would probably have ended up as a Gebirgsjäger in the 3. Gebirgs-Division. With the prospect (?) to spend the coming four years on the Eastern front... And with all certainty winning a wooden cross and maybe some Iron cross to go with it...

But I would proudly have worn the Edelweiss!

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Rajin Cajun wrote:Wehrmacht or Waffen-SS its a family tradition to serve in the Infantry.
All my grand's were serving in the Wehrmacht Infantery...I could see myself as a puberting, rebelling youth stomping his feets and screaming:
"I WANT TO THE PANZERS!"

:wink: :D
Luftman129
Supporter

Post by Luftman129 »

I'd probably be in the Luftwaffe since everyone in my family has been in some air-related industry be it airlines or, in the case of my grandfather, the USAAF.

Thanks,
Chris
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

Heer Infatry/Panzer, another family tradition
"Gott Mit Uns"
Spinechicken
Supporter

Post by Spinechicken »

Wehrmacht - Artillery (family tradition again)

-SC
"An American officer asked me once 'How on earth do you kill a Tiger?', so I told him to go and shoot it up the arse."

-A soldier of the 51st (Highland) Division
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Ah, all these mighty warriors.
Whenever a warrior get's hurt he first screams for the medic and only when he has arrived will he start crying for his mum. :(

Nah, forget the above (which is quite tongue in cheeck of course!) but I would want to be in the medical corps, helping those in need is something I can't help doing. 8)

Cheers,

Paul
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Great decision Paulus! :up:

...I would do so myself the moment I can imagine sawing limbs without any narcotics... :(
philippe_jehl
Supporter

Post by philippe_jehl »

not sure what I would have done being a 17 year old during that time period. I think I would have wanted to be a volunteer for the Waffen SS but would have been concerned about how other in my Alsatian village would have seen me (collaborator or doing my duty). I do know that most males in my family served in either the German Army or Waffen SS (many more than would admit today in my village served in the Waffen SS including 3 of my Grand Father's nephews as well as his son in law).
At 17 I glorified being in the military and war and would have been anxious to join up in 1941 just as i was when I vol;unteered for military service in my own era. Now being a veteran and having seen the horrors of war.Reflecting back I was a fool to ever see anything glorious about war.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Ah, all these mighty warriors.
Being a not so mighty or for that matter not so much a warrior myself, I quite agree with you Paul, about the soldier's best friend being the medic. I actually spent my compulsory military service as a kind of medic in the swedish army (infantry), albeit well over 20 years ago today. So maybe I could/should humbly change my answer to the original question to a Gebirgsjäger-Sanitäter in the 3. Gebirgs-Division? :wink:

Still with the same coming four years on the Eastern front ahead of me and still risking being rewarded with the Wooden Cross well before any eventual Iron version. :shock: And yes, most certainly wanting my Mum with me in the end... :(

But still wearing the Edelweiss... :up:

With best regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

To throw a practical spanner in the works, I wonder whether the German Army was accepting 17 year olds at that stage? It was the Waffen-SS that was harvesting under conscript age volunteers before they were old enough to be called up by the Army. (Peacetime Army conscript age was, I think 20 or 21, but fell during the war. Somewhere on Feldgrau I have long since posted the dates and ages of different year groups when called up.)

Cheers,

Sid.