Question on 18. Infanterie- und Panzergren. Div

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

veiss
Supporter

Question on 18. Infanterie- und Panzergren. Div

Post by veiss »

Does anyone have the book "Die 18. Infanterie- und Panzergrenadierdivision 1934-1945 " by Joachim Engelmann?
I wonder if the author gives any details on the fate of this division when it was trapped in the encirclement near Minsk in early July 1944.
Do not salute me. There are goddamned snipers all around this area...
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi veiss,

greetings to Belorussia.
The book from Engelmann is a picture book, 160 pages.

Better sources are:
Die Geschichte des Infanterie-Regiment 51 und in Teilen die der 18. Inf.Div. - Walter Herrmann, Kameradschaft IR 51

Lohn der Tapferkeit. Aus der Geschichte des Artillerie-Regiment 18 der 18. Infanterie-Division/18. Panzergrenadier-Division Liegnitz Teil 1 - 3
- Joachim Engelmann, Oldenburg/Oldenburg o.J. (1979 - 1985)
Lohn der Tapferkeit. Aus der Geschichte des Artillerie-Regiments 18 der 18. Infanterie-Division Liegnitz (4. Teil)
- Joachim Engelmann, 1989

Thomas
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Many thanks, Thomas for the list of books, but it's really hard to order it from here: problems with payment, delivery, etc. :( If you have any of it by hand, what does it tell about the last days in Minsk pocket?
Regards.
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi veiss,

may be, i can help with the AR 18 and the PGR 30 next days. I searching yet for the PGR 51.
You are interested in the last days, 28.6.44 to 10.7.1944?

Greetings
Thomas
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Exactly this period, Thomas. It was not trapped in the main encirclement in Mins kessel together with 57th, 267th and 31st, and remnants of 260th, 25th Panzer Grenadier and 78th Sturm Divisions but was somewhere nearby, So I want to find out its route in those days.
Greetings&thanx
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi veiss,

there are good descriptions of the routes of the 18. PGD.
But: the parts (PGR 30 and 51, AR 18, PzAA 18 ) of the 18. PGD took different ones.

Greetings
Thomas
Last edited by cpa95 on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Well, whatever information available will be of a great help.
I have collected with the help of comrades from this forum some info about the actions and routes of 78 ID and 25PzGren within this period up to destruction of the main forces in the Kessel in the first decade of July. Now I follow up with the investigation on the other divisions mentioned above.
Best regards from Belarus!
veiss
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Hey Thomas!
Nothing found yet? :wink:
I've came across the last mentioned location of the Div. - village Wolma, about 30 km. to the South-East from Minsk.
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi veiss,

i am actually carrying the IR 51, IR 30 and AR 18 with me in my bagage, but i didnt find time to work it out, so it will take a little bit longer. :[]

Greetings
Thomas
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Clear! :D
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi, at first PGR 51:

June 44: 18. PDG defended S-E of the Orsha-bow, 267. ID on the right, 31. ID on the left, then the 12. ID. The commanding Army Corps in the Orsha-bow was Generalkommando XII.

22.6./23.6. Russian attacks E-N-E of Mogilev, and near Stary Bychoff in the south, were reported to the PGR 51.
25.6.44: II./ PGR 51 (on the right: I., centre: II., left: III./PGR 51) was ordered to move to the rear, weak parts of the staff and other elements of the regiment took over the lines of II./PGR 51.
26.6.44: II./PGR 51 was transported to the Dnjepr-bridge near Daschkowka, crossed it and moved on the western side of the Dnjepr to the aerea S-W of Mogilev. It came under direct command of XII. AK (with 2 Flak-batteries and Feldausbildungs-Bat. 18 ) and it built a “Sperrverband” (Kampfgruppe) to secure the Dnjepr-bridge (Behelfsbrücke) for the retreat of XII. AK. During the night 26.6./27.6. parts of 31.ID, “Feldherrnhalle” and 12. ID crossed that bridge.
27.6.44: I.+III./PGR 51 retreated due to an order from their lines without fighting, and crossed the Dnjepr-bridge near Daschkowa in a western direction. After that the bridge was destroyed. Meanwhile II./PGR 51 secured the retreat of XII. AK, and built up another line at the swamp river Lachwa.
28.6.44: The bridge across the Lachwa was destroyed. During this, 15 LKW of IR 48/12. ID passed the bridge. After destroying the bridge many men crossed the Lachwa by swimming. Some elements of the divisions of XII. AK paniced. II./PGR 51 retreated to the west and joined the rest of the regiment 51 at the eastside of the Druth. The II./PGR 51 crossed the Druth and took a new line during the night along the westside of the river.
29.6.55: The I.+III./PGR 51 secured the eastside around the bridge, fightinmg agaist Russian troops in the morning of 29.6.44. In the afternoon, both batallions crossed the Druth, while II./PGR. 51 was securing. Annother bridge near Oljen was destroyed. In the night, the remaining parts of Bat. Mücke of PGR 30 crossed the Druth, then the PGR 51 retreated from the Druth to the west.
30.6.44: II./PGR 52 rested in a village together wih the staff of 267. ID. During the morning, the three bat. of PGR 51 turned to the N-W, with the formation: in front left III., in front right: II, to the rear I./PGR 51. In the afternoon a fight begun against following Russian troops. The staff of the regiment passed a crossroad in western direction towards the river Kljewa (100 meters east of the Kljewa, S-E of the village Pogot). Oberst Wack, comm. PGR 51, died caused by an artillery hit at this crossroad. Major von Saldern took over the command, Hauptmann Diekmann the II./PGR 51.
1.7.1944: the whole regiment withdrawed to the Kljewa aerea. In the early afternoon, the PGR 51 took a line on the Westside of the Kljewa, fighting against following Russian SP-Guns with infantry. Elements of different german divisions apperared, so the commander of PGR 51 supposed, that PGR 51 laid in an eastern direction of a bridge, crossing the Beresina.
2.7.44: During the night the PGR 51 secured the retreat of the retreating divisions of XII. AK. It destroyed a bridge, which crosses a smaller river near the Kljewa. In the morning the whole regiement reached the bridgehead of the Beresina, east of Beresino. The bridgehead was commanded by Oberst Marx of 31. ID. It was reported, that Russian troops already had crossed the Beresina north of the german bridgehead. During the day the Russian airforce bombed the bridgehead and the streets for the retreat without a pause. In late afternoon the PGR 51 crossed the Beresina-bridge across,which was not damaged at this time. Then, after resting in a big wood S-W of Beresino, the regiment crossed the street Beresino-Tscherwenj, a lot of german troops flew from Tscherwenj in a N-E direction.
3.7. The regiement, moving in a western direction, reached a undamaged village. Nearby parts of the PGR 35 (25. ID) were laying (Oberst von Bergen, formerly com. I. and II./IR 51). His regiment had suffered heavy losses and had destroyed all ist vehicles. PGR 51 also destroyed most of its vehicles in the afternoon of 3.7.44, caused by lack of fuel.
4.7. The PGR 51 was blocked by masses of retreating german troops in the village Gorodischtsche. At this day, elements of 267. ID (Gen.-Lt. Drescher) were securing the retreat of XII. AK. This division was engaged in heavy fights, so von Saldern was ordered to turn the PGR 51 to the east and to help the 267. ID. Gen.Lt. Drescher tried to get the PGR 18 and PzAA 18 under his direct command, but von Saldern and Rittmeister von Lyncker rejected this order. Late afternoon, PzAA 18 and PGR 51 turned west, lost the contact to the Russian troops, crossed Gorodischtsche and joined the other parts of 18. PGD. During the night they rested in a kind of valley kettle S-E of Minsk.
5.7. The german troops tried a breakthrough to the west, PGR 30 and PzAA 18 in front, PGr 51 in the second wave. PGR 51 stopped in a valley with a street, woods were on the hills on both sides. The first line advanced in the direction of the “Wolna”, a small river. During the morning the commanding Gen. Zutavern of the 18. PGD was killed, then his Ia, Oberstlt. Freiherr Groote, Rittmeister Frhr. von Lyncker (PzAA 18), Hauptmann Fürstner (commanding III./PGR 51). The staff of XII. AK appeared (GenLt. Vincenz Müller, Chieff of Staff Oberst i.G. Deyle).
In the afternoon of 5.7.44, the PGR 51 contacted the PGR 30, east of the small river Wolna. The Russian airforce bombed continously, so at first PGR 51 was not able to cross the Wolna in an western direction. Both regiments (30 and 51) were fighting for crossing the Wolna the whole afternoon, and they crossed the Wolna on a small bridge and through a small ford in the late afternoon. As they reached they western shore of the Wolna, the bombing was intensified, so any movement was blocked until they next day. The remaining parts of PGR 30, 51 and AR 18 crossed the small river Wolna during the night, the artillery took position to the western direction. From the west, the approach of strong russian troops was reported.
6.7. PGR 51 retreated to the north and took over some tanks of the division “Feldherrnhalle”, which were left from this unit. With these tanks the PGR 51 reached a high point in the aerea, then the Ia of “Feldherrnhalle” arrived and a heavy dispute begun caused by the tanks. PGR 51 joined the rear parts of this division, and was fought the rest of the day against russian troops. They attacked at first from the west, then from all directions. PGR 51 resolved. One Kampfgruppe with the regiment staff had a strength of 40-50 men and flew to the west.
7.7.44: In the morning the remaining parts of PGR 51 reached a wide plateau S-E of Minsk. In the north, there was a big village. Russian troops approached from this direction, so the rest of the Kampfgruppe PGR 51 (13 men) were taken as pows after a short fight.
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Vow! Great!!! That's the level of details I was looking for. I guess no maps or sketches available?
Many thanks for your input!
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi veiss,

sorry, no maps for the PGR 51.
To complete this topic:

21.6.1944:
PGR 51 Kommandeur Oberst Wack
Rgt.-Adjutant Hauptmann Haucke
Rgt.-Ordonanz-Offizier Oberlt. Heidler
Stabs-Kompanie Hauptmann Haucke
13. IG-Kompanie Oberlt. Paletta

I./PGR 51 Hauptmann Schubert (Major Finke at holidays)
Btl.-Adjudant ???
1./51 ???
2./51 ???
3./51 ???
4./51 ???

II./PGR 51 Major von Saldern
Btl.-Adjudant Oberlt. Struck
5./51 ???
6./51 Oberlt. Jamrosche
7./51 ???
8./51 Oberlt. Dieckmann

III./PGR 51 Hauptmann Fürstner
Btl.-Adjudant ???
9./51 ???
10./51 ???
11./51 ???
12./51 ???

It would be fine, if anyone can complete this list.
Greetings
Thomas
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi, part I

PGR 30:
12.6.1944:
The 18. PGD reported signs for a new “battle for the motorway” (Rollbahnschlacht). The division had to give away all their vehicles (together with the 25. PGD - Entmotorisierung).

The russian reinforcements in front of 18. PGD seemed to be completed.

There were no more radio activities on the russian front. Recognition by air cleared up that the russian preparation for the artillery is finished.

Strength of PGR 30: 1219 men (135 men per km)
381 men I./PGR 30
446 men II./PGR 30
392 men III./PGR 30

Strong russian activities for recognition in front of 18. PGD/PGR 30. PGR 30 reported a russian radio message to Partisanen-Regiment 13 (Polk Grishin, ???), that the destruction of the railway lines in the rear of Heeresgruppe Mitte had begun.

The left wing of 18. PGD was attacked near Ssustoki by a russian battalion.
Strength of PGR 30: 1093 men.

There were russian attacks near Wetrenka, in strength of a battalion. II./PGR 30 became reserve for the XXXIX. Panzerkorps near Ssuchari. At 8.15 p.m. the I./PGR 30 became reserve for that corps, too. Russian attacks led to a large advance on both sides of the motorway Smolensk-Minsk and the street Rjassna-Mogilev.

War diary of XII.AK, 7.00 am: the right wing battalion of the XII. AK bursted and had run away (Chomitschi-Lutschissa). Another russian advanced was reported near Galynowka. AOK 4 requested OKH to take back the frontline behind the Dnjepr. The request was refused.

Kampfgruppe Schünemann (I./PGR 30, StuG-Brigade 190, Heeres-Panzer-Jäger 741) took position north of Budownja. Tippelskirch, Com. on behalf of 4th Army, ordered the retreat of the army on his own decision. The left wing of 18. PGD had to defend the line Ssutoki-Dnjepr.

Russian radio orders were reported to the 18. PGD. They russian troops had to hurry up to take the bridges across the Beresina. KaGr. Schünemann retreated towards Krugi north of Mogilev. 7.30am: laying in the line Matejewschtschina-Russenka-east of the wood near Waworoty. 9.20 am: laying near Krugi. The KaGr was ordered by XXXIX. PK to retreat across the Dnjepr near Polykowitschi.
3.25 pm: AOK 4/XXXIX. PK ordered his right wing (II./PGR 30 and 31. ID) to defend the north of Ssutoki at all circumstances up to 8 pm. 18. PGD had to cross the Dnjepr up to this time. XXXIX. PK guessed that a defend up to 8 pm. would be impossible.
4.00 p: KaGr Schünemann was still on the eastern side of the Dnjepr, attacking near Trebuchi. The russian troops crossed the Dnjepr between Mogilew and Schkloff in the western direction.
To the north, on the northern side of the motorway Smolensk-Minsk, the russian advance through the XXVII. AK was getting larger.
AOK 4 ordered to retreat to the “Bärenstellung” behind the Dnjepr. On his right wing, the gap to the AOK 9 reached a length of 20 km.
II./PGR 30 was given to the 337. ID.
18. PGD (with III./30) had to reach the aerea south of Mogilew.

Under heavy russian pressure on the bridgehead, 18. PGD (without I.+II./30) crossed the Dnjepr between Borkolabowo and Daschkowka.
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Very informative! Please don't stop :D :wink: